Chapter 10 Facilities and Equipment - Board of Trustees Regulations
Ohlone is in the process of updating and revising its Administrative Procedures (APs) to incorporate relevant parts of outdated Board Regulations. Board Regulations will be deleted once incorporated into Administrative Procedures. Please see the notice posted on the Board Policies and Administrative Procedures web page for additional information.
10.7 Use of College Vehicles
- Ohlone College staff are encouraged to use College vehicles for travel on College business except when other modes of transportation (BART, air, etc.) are less expensive and realistic for the purpose of travel. Individuals who use their personal vehicles for College business are responsible for their own insurance coverage.
- The following regulations and procedures shall be followed
with respect to staff use of College vehicles.
- Use of College vehicles must be requested well in advance of date of use by telephoning the (Buildings and Grounds secretary) and by submitting a completed "Request for Use of School Vehicle Form" signed by a College administrator.
- Names of all persons who will be riding in the vehicle must be listed on the request form. In the case of athletics, team members need not be listed. Rosters are on file in the Athletic Office.
- Persons who are not employees or students involved in a College activity are not to accompany employees or student groups unless they have a function directly related to the College business or event. Their names and functions must be listed on the request form.
- If plans change, call Buildings and Grounds Department Secretaryand cancel the vehicle immediately.
- Vehicles must be picked up during office hours (before 4:30 p.m.) and for weekend use, before 4:30 p.m. on Friday. Vehicles are picked up at Building #10.
- When picking up a vehicle, private vehicles must be parked outside the gates of the corporation yard. Drivers pick up keys, credit cards, and trip record card at the Building #10 office. ALL DRIVERS must sign the "Vehicle Trip Record" and be pre-approved to drive a College vehicle. To obtain driving privileges, drivers must send a copy of their driver's license to the Administrative Services Coordinator in Business Services. The Coordinator will have a DMV review completed. Allow at least ten days for this approval process.
- Vehicles are to be driven only to and from the destination of College business. Vehicles are not to be driven to other destinations and are not to be kept overnight without prior approval as noted on the Request for Vehicle form.
- The staff member requesting the vehicle(s) is responsible for the return of the vehicle(s) and condition of the vehicle(s) upon return.
- If a vehicle breaks down on the road, have it towed to the nearest gas station. If the credit card is not accepted, pay for the repair and submit a request for reimbursement. Minor repairs not exceeding $200.00may be charged on the gas credit card. If the repairs are major and/or you cannot wait for the repair, leave the vehicle at the station (locked) and report the information to the Buildings and Grounds Office upon your return.
- Upon return, vehicles are to be emptied of trash (all receptacles emptied); doors locked; keys, credit cards, and completed trip record returned to the warehouse office. Any problems with a vehicle should be noted on the back of the trip record card. If return is after hours, use the telephone outside the corporation yard to call Campus security to unlock the gate, the key to the telephone box is with the vehicle keys. Place keys, card and trip record in the box located inside gate at the right.
- Vehicle reservations are prioritized as follows:
- College Team travel to away contests.
- Required Instructional field trips.
- Other instructional use.
- Staff use for College business.
- College vehicles are not available for use by student clubs or student government groups. College staff who are advisors are the vehicle users.
- Any misuse of College vehicles shall be reported to the appropriate administrator and may result in denial of future use of College vehicles.
- There is no smoking permitted in College vehicles.
- Maximum capacities for College vehicles are as
- Station Wagon: Driver and seven passengers. (eight total)
- Van: Driver and nine passengers. (ten total)
- Van: Driver and fourteen passengers. (fifteen total)
- Bus: Driver and twenty-five passengers. (twenty-six total)
- Drivers of the Bus and the 14 passenger van must have a Class Blicense and Medical Certificate. These documents must be registered and on filewith the Buildings and GroundsDepartment secretary. The costs of the Class B license and required annual physical will be paid for by the College.
- College vehicles are not to be used for out-of-state travel with student groups (field trips, athletic contests, etc.) except with prior approval of the Board of Trustees. Such out-of-state travel shall also require appropriate insurance and signed waiver forms as stated in Education Code Sections 72640 and 72641.
If times, drivers, passengers, or other arrangements change after the vehicle request form is submitted, the staff member must notify his/her administrator or the on-duty administrator and the Buildings and Grounds Department secretary.
REQUEST FOR USE OF COLLEGE VEHICLE
STAFF MEMBER: DATE:
Date trip is to be made:
Reason for trip:
Estimated Time of Departure: Return
Number on trip
Name of Driver(s):
Staff Member's Signature
Dean, Director, or Chairperson Date
APPROVED: School Vehicle DISAPPROVED: Reason Reserved
OFFICE USE ONLY
Buildings and Grounds Office Posted Per:
Building 10 Date Received:
Form #70804 Rev 10/93
VEHICLE TRIP RECORD
Number on trip Departure Time:
Reason for Trip and Destination:
Starting Mileage: Ending Mileage:
Make of Vehicle:
Credit Cards Issued: Returned:
Class 2 License:
Medical Certificate: Signature:
NOTE: Any mechanical or safety defects list on back of card. Any change in above plans, notify your administrator or "on-duty" administrator and the Maintenance Department secretary.
Fremont-Newark Community College District
OUT-OF-STATE FIELD TRIP OR EXCURSION
RELEASE AND AGREEMENT TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY
Education Code Section 72640 provides, in part, as follows:
"All persons making the field trip or excursion shall be deemed to have waived all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip or excursion. All adults taking out-of-state field trips or excursions and all parents or guardians of students taking out-of-state field trips or excursions shall sign a statement waiving such claims."
Completion of this form, therefore, is required for all out-of-state field trips and tours. Registration for the course involved will not be complete until this form is on file with the Registrar. If the participating student is under 18 years of age, this form must be completed by the student's legal guardian or parent.
The District has granted
(Name of Participating Student)
(hereinafter "Participant") permission to participate in the field trip to
In consideration of the permission granted to the Participant by the District, I, the undersigned, hereby release and discharge the Fremont-Newark Community College District, its officers, employees and servants (herein collectively referred to as "District") from all liability, as defined herein, arising out of, or in connection with Participant's participation in the above described field trip. For the purposes of this Agreement, liability means all claims, demands, losses, causes of action, suits, or judgments of any and every kind that I, my heirs, executors, administrators or assigns may have against the District, or that any other person or entity may have against the District, because of any death, personal injury or illness, or because of any loss of or damage to property, that occurs during the above described field trip and that results from any cause other than the negligence of the District.
Participant further agrees to hold harmless, defend and indemnify the District from any and all liability, as defined above, resulting from, or in any manner arising out of, any negligence of the Participant during the above-described field trip, but not to the extent that such liability is due to the negligence of the District.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
The Participant further agrees to accept all the rules and requirements of the field trip, observe the program schedules, and to follow the instructions given by supervisory personnel and grants the right to terminate participation in the program if it is determined that conduct is detrimental to the best interests of the group, in which event return home shall be at personal expense. Any violation of these rules or regulations may be cause for suspension or expulsion from the College, subject to the District Student Due Process Procedure, upon return.
Participant fully recognizes and agrees that the District cannot and will not be held responsible for needs or well-being when not under the direct supervision of College supervisory personnel during instructional activity.
In the event of any illness or injury, Participant hereby consents to whatever x-ray, examination, anesthetic, medical, surgical or dental diagnosis or treatment and hospital care from a licensed physician and/or surgeon as deemed necessary for Participant's safety and welfare. It is understood that the resulting expenses will be the responsibility of the Participant.
I have read this Release and Agreement to Hold Harmless and Indemnify and understand its terms. I execute it voluntarily and with full knowledge of its significance.
Initial one of the following statements.
_______ I am 18 years of age or older and I will be the Participant.
_______ I am the parent or legal guardian of the Participant who is under 18 years of age to whom the above statements apply and for whose benefit I am executing this Agreement.
Signature: _________________________________________ Date:
Address: __________________________________________ Phone:__________________________
Medical Insurance Carrier Policy No. Address
In the event of illness or accident, please notify:
Name Address Phone
If there are any special medical problems, kindly attach a description of the problem to this sheet. Thank you.
(Form B-14, 3/81; 9/98)