Employee of the Month
November 2013 Faculty of the Month
Ralph de Unamuno
Chicano Studies Department
The Top 10 Reasons this person should be November Faculty of the Month are:
- He is a Fremont native. (3 cheers for Fremont)
- He is an Ohlone College graduate. (More cheers!)
- He was the first person from his family to graduate from college. (UCLA)
- He is a one-person department here at Ohlone College.
- He has served on the College Council.
- He has been the student club advisor for MEChA.
- He has spent countless hours organizing the Dia de los Muertos event at Ohlone College.
- He is a tireless advocate for the Chicano/a and Native American people, championing their rights, working to provide equal opportunities, and striving to educate us all on these critical issues.
- He has managed reasons 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 above as an adjunct instructor, dividing his time between Ohlone College and West Valley College (lots of cheers here for adjunct faculty members!)
And now, the Number 1 reason he deserves to be November Faculty of the Month is—
Drum roll please…
- He brews beer in his house! He likes to experiment with new brews that include fruits and spices. And best of all, he says we can all come over to his house and do taste testing (okay, so maybe I made up this last sentence, but the rest is true. And, of course, it is not the #1 reason, but it is still a pretty cool hobby, don’t you think?).
Well, I could not stop at just 10 reasons, either.
- He has two darling Chihuahuas, Chico and Baby, and we all know dog lovers are good people.
- He is vibrant and fun and willing to engage in our fascinating world and participate in its experiences, as exemplified by the picture below. Here he is in Cartagena, Colombia, cozying up with his new best friend, a baby sloth.
It goes without saying (but I’ll say it) that our November Faculty of the Month is a dedicated, caring instructor, outstanding in his field, who contributes much more to the Ohlone Community than these few paragraphs can cover.
Please congratulate our November Faculty of the Month!
Ralph de Unamuno, adjunct instructor in Chicano/a Studies, Native American Studies, US History and California History.