Employee of the Month
November 2015 Faculty of the Month
Join me in a congratulating Robin for some well-deserved recognition of her contribution to our Ohlone community. Here are some Robin factoids:
- Graduated UC Davis with teaching credentials in Physical Education and Life Sciences.
- Taught PE and Biology, and coached gymnastics and swimming at Mission San Jose andNewark Memorial High Schools in the 80s.
- Masters in Kinesiology / Exercise Physiology from CSUH
- Started at Ohlone College in 1981 teaching Aerobic Dance, swimming, aqua exercise, weight training and step aerobics.
- Adjunct faculty at that time while I taught full time PE and Biology at Mission SanJose HS and Newark Memorial HS, and then PE at Snow and Graham Elementary schools.
- Traveled with the Aerobic and Fitness Association of America teaching and certifyinggroup exercise instructors in several countries around the world.
- Wrote my first bit of curriculum in 1984 for an Aerobic Instructor Certification Prep course (it was the height of group exercise, leg warmers, and thongs and instructors were in high demand) Haven't stopped since! o Many of the graduates from that course still teach in some of the more prestigious fitness clubs in the area.
- Co-taught Fitness for Life with then Athletic Trainer Leta Stagnaro
- Left Ohlone in the 90's when the dot-com commute from Pleasanton to Fremont was taking close to an hour. (Wait, what?)
- Worked in the private fitness and medically-based fitness arena at ClubSport Pleasanton and LifeStyleRx in Livermore: personal training and group exercise.
- Came back on board in 2007 (thanks to an alert from Lottie Bain that an opening existed) as full time Health and Wellness coordinator for a new department that had not yet been created. Visionary dean retired, along with the new department concept.
- Teaching various PE courses (favorite class is indoor cycling), Women's Health, Contemporary Health, Online Fitness for Life (same class as the 80s only fully online - "yeah, professor, I ran the mile in 3 minutes!" )
- Enjoyed participation on Professional Development Committee, Ohlone Foundation, Golf Tournament committee, PTA Advisory Board
- Joined the Curriculum Committee in 2010. Became Chairperson in 2014.
- Coordinate the Ohlone Employee Fitness and Wellness Program
- Work with an amazing group of professionals in the Total Health and Wellness Center in Newark. Creativity, excellence and generosity of spirit guide the team of physical and health educators to create and teach innovative and challenging courses that help students improve mental and physical health.
- Live in Pleasanton with husband of 34 years (Craig), son (Cameron), two dogs (Rex- Chihuahua mix and Casey - Shepherd mix). Daughter Kimberly lives and works in Sacramento.
- Love my road bike and morning swims (when it is warm outside!)