About Biology at Ohlone
The Biology programs prepare students for careers in: Cell & Molecular Biology, Research, Ecology & Field Biology, Biochemistry, Systems Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Genetic Engineering, Animal & Plant Biology, Biology Education, and these Health Professions: Pre-medicine, Pre-dental, Pre-veterinary.
Research Emphasis in Ohlone's Core Biology Courses
At the core of Ohlone's Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree in Biology is the BIOL-101A and BIOL-101B series. BIOL-101A covers topics in Molecular & Cellular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, and the Kingdoms Monera and Protista. BIOL-101B emphasizes topics in Evolution, Systematics, Ecology, Organisms and the Kingdoms Fungi, Animalia and Plantae. In addition to learning biology concepts and theory, students enrolled in Ohlone's Biology 101 series will:
- Develop and conduct individual year-long research projects.
- Conduct long-term genetics projects using Drosophilia sp.
- Develop field research skills - such as those used by ecologists and entomologists.
- Learn advanced biotechnology techniques - including Electrophoresis separation of DNA & Proteins and PCR.
- Using computer-based systems to record and study various physiological parameters such as electrocardiography, etc.