In California, the majority of biotech companies are in the pharmaceutical industry - producing medicines to help patients with AIDS, strokes, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Techniques of biotechnology are also used in agriculture, industrial applications, forensics, mining, environmental cleanup and other industries. The San Francisco Bay Area has a heavy concentration of biotech companies.
“Ohlone’s biotech program is one of the best in the nation.”
—Dr. Elaine Johnson, National Director, BioLink.
Ohlone’s Biotechnology A.S. Degree and Biotechnology Certificates provide students with an excellent preparation in various protocols and hands-on laboratory skills used in many biotech, bioscience and medical device companies. A goal of this program is to prepare students for entry-level positions.
Did You Know…?
Community colleges offer associate degrees and short-term job training certificates in more than 175 fields, and more than 100,000 individuals are trained each year in industry-specific workforce skills. Source: California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.
Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree
Biotechnology, A.S. Degree (PDF) - Designed to train students in the methods and techniques used in biotechnology. Courses in this program train students in standard biotechnology laboratory techniques and record keeping. The program prepares students for entry-level positions in bio- manufacturing and pharmomanufacturing positions.
Certificates of Achievement
- Biotechnology: Bio-Manufacturing Certificate of Achievement (PDF) - Provides students with an excellent preparation in various protocols and hands-on laboratory skills used in many biotechnology companies. A goal of the program is to prepare students for entry-level positions in biotech and pharmaceutical companies. This certificate prepares students as laboratory research assistants and bio- manufacturing technicians. It provides excellent preparation in laboratory skills used in entry-level positions at many biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Biotechnology: Biostatistics (PDF) - Designed to train students in methods and techniques used in biotech nology statistical analysis. Courses in this program train students in DNA and protein laboratory techniques and assays, laboratory record keeping, sterile techniques, and mathematical analysis of laboratory outcomes. The program prepares students for entry-level positions in bio-manufacturing, biostatistician assistant, clinical data assistant/associate, validation assistant/technician, production planner/scheduler, and research assistant/associate positions requiring skills in statistics.
- Biotechnology: Biotechnology Research Associate Certificate of Achievement (PDF) - Designed to train students in methods and techniques used in research settings. Courses in this program train students in DNA and protein laboratory techniques and assays, laboratory record keeping, sterile techniques, advanced PCR procedures, and genomic/cDNA library construction and analytical skills. The program prepares students for entry-level positions in biotechnology/pharmaceutical companies as research assistants and laboratory assistants/technicians.
Certificate of Accomplishment
Computer Applications in Biotechnology Certificate of Accomplishment (PDF) - The field of computer applications in biotechnology is a complex hybrid of two distinct scientific disciplines—computer technology and bioscience. This certificate is designed to provide an understanding of bioinformatics and other computer related subjects to students with some computer and/or life science background. This program is useful for students who desire to explore this new information science in which computers help to simulate, visualize, and analyze genetic and biological information. It also provides an introduction to the fundamental scientific and computational concepts, methods, and tools central to the growing field of computer applications in biotechnology.
Review a sample listing of Courses in this area of study. Review academic requirements in the Catalog and in the Curriculum Guides. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and/or have questions answered.
Apply for a Degree or Certificates
Are you finishing your associate degree or certificate? Please review How to Apply for a Degree or Certificate.
Related Ohlone College Websites
- About the Computer Applications in Biotechnology Certificate
- Biotechnology Degree and Certificates Program brochure (PDF)
- Biotechnology Lab
- Biotechnology Workshops
- Chemical Technology
- Computer Science
- Learning Alliance for Bioscience (LAB) Program
DivisionSkip plugin info.
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".
Microsoft Windows Media Player (free; Windows) or Flip4Mac (free; Mac) or other browser plug-in/add-on that can play WMV files is required to play the Windows Media Video webcast, video, and/or audio files on this web page. Additional information.