Register for classes using WebAdvisor. Review the searchable online Class Schedule for class dates and times. Course descriptions are available in the Catalog. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and discuss their long-range academic plan.
Did You Know…?
Ohlone has the second best rate of all 21 Bay Area community colleges for students continuing at college and completing at least 30 units. Source: California Community Colleges Success Scorecard.
A sampling of courses for this discipline includes (not a complete list):
- BIOT-100 Biotechnology and Society
- BIOT-101 Biotechnology Research Projects
- BIOT/CHMT-102 Chemical Safety and Hygiene
- BIOT-103 LAB Biotech Summer Bridge
- BIOT/CHMT-104A HPLC
- BIOT/CHMT-104B Gas Chromatography
- BIOT-105 Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIOT-110A DNA and Protein Purification and Analysis
- BIOT-111A Genomic and cDNA Library Construction and Analysis
- BIOT-111B PCR Primer Design and Optimization and Reverse Transcription PCR
- BIOT-112 Introduction to Bioinformatics
- BIOT-113 GMP/GLP and Writing SOPs
- BIOT/BIOL-114 Introduction to Plant Biology
- BIOT-115A Mammalian Cell Culture Techniques
- BIOT-115B Bioreactor Cell Culture Techniques
- BIOT-117 Immunology
- BIOT-119 Clean Room Operations
- BIOT-120A Introduction to SEM Technology
- BIOT-120B SEM - Biological Applications and Techniques
- BIOT-120C SEM - Applications in Physical Science and Engineering
- BIOT-121 Biotechnology Careers
- BIOT/CS-131 Computing Concepts in Biotechnology
- BIOT-131L LAB Learning Community
- BIOT-132L LAB Learning Community, Mentoring Level
- BIOT/CS-133 Introduction to SAS Programming
- BIOT-133A Data Analysis Using SAS
- BIOT-141B SAS Graphing and ODS
- BIOT-143 Advanced SAS Programming
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore.
Students may also be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Please check with the instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Biotechnology AS Degree
- Apply industrial standards in recording laboratory procedures and results in a laboratory notebook.
- Demonstrate the use of common laboratory equipment such as micropipetters, spectrophotometers, electrophoretic equipment, pH meters, thermocyclers, bioreactors, etc.
- Employ the correct mathematical rules of operation, and be able to apply these to the preparation of reagents, buffers, pH adjustments, etc.
- Practice proper laboratory safety.
- Demonstrate an understanding of key concepts in molecular biology and biotechnology as they relate to the biotechnology industry.