Register for classes using WebAdvisor. Review the searchable online Class Schedule for class dates and times. Course descriptions are available in the Catalog. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and/or have questions answered.
Did You Know…?
29% of University of California and 51% of California State University graduates started at a California community college. Source: Community College League of California.
A sampling of courses for this discipline includes (not a complete list):
- BIOT-100 Biotechnology and Society
- BIOT-101 Biotechnology Research Projects
- BIOT/CHMT-102 Chemical Safety and Hygiene
- BIOT-103 LAB Biotech Summer Bridge
- BIOT/CHMT-104A HPLC
- BIOT/CHMT-104B Gas Chromatography
- BIOT-105 Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology
- BIOT-110A DNA and Protein Purification and Analysis
- BIOT-111A Genomic and cDNA Library Construction and Analysis
- BIOT-111B PCR Primer Design and Optimization and Reverse Transcription PCR
- BIOT-112 Introduction to Bioinformatics
- BIOT-113 GMP/GLP and Writing SOPs
- BIOT/BIOL-114 Introduction to Plant Biology
- BIOT-115A Mammalian Cell Culture Techniques
- BIOT-115B Bioreactor Cell Culture Techniques
- BIOT-117 Immunology
- BIOT-119 Clean Room Operations
- BIOT-120A Introduction to SEM Technology
- BIOT-120B SEM - Biological Applications and Techniques
- BIOT-120C SEM - Applications in Physical Science and Engineering
- BIOT-121 Biotechnology Careers
- BIOT-122 Introduction to Nanotechnology
- BIOT-123 Writing SOPs
- BIOT/CS-131 Computing Concepts in Biotechnology
- BIOT-131L LAB Learning Community
- BIOT-132L LAB Learning Community, Mentoring Level
- BIOT/CS-133 Introduction to SAS Programming
- BIOT-133A Data Analysis Using SAS
- BIOT-141B SAS Graphing and ODS
- BIOT-143 Advanced SAS Programming
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore.
Students may also be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Please check with the instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Upon successful completion of the courses in this discipline, the student will have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Develop a results-oriented resume highlighting transferable skills relevant to bio-manufacturing positions.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing skills to obtain employment in the biotech industry.
- Understand and apply techniques to conduct a self-directed job search.
- Apply scientific method and good experimental design in scientific experiments.
- Understand and demonstrate lab safety procedures.
- Maintain a lab notebook; describe correct SOPs, GLPs, and other documentation required in a biotech lab.
- Demonstrate standard lab techniques such as pipetting and measurements (mass/ volume).
- Demonstrate proper use of lab equipment such as pH meters, spectrophotometers, chromatographic systems, electrophoresis apparatus, compound microscope, and other equipment.