Eligibility for the ASL-English Interpreter Preparation Program (IPP), the IPP AA Degree, and IPP Certificate of Achievement
The ASL-English Interpreter Preparation Program (IPP) is limited in the number of students it can admit to each class. Students must fulfill minimum requirements listed prior to applying to the Interpreter Preparation Program. All applicants must show fluency in both English and ASL.
All applicants, regardless of degree, must have taken and completed:
- Deaf Culture (ASL-142 or equivalent)
- ASL Linguistics (ASL-150 or equivalent)
All pre-interpreter students are required to provide sufficient proof of college level English and Math coursework (unless you already possess AA, BA or higher degrees):
- Completion of ENGL-101A or equivalent with a “C” or better
- Completion of MATH-155 (Math for the Associate Degree) or any higher-level college Math course.
- Take Ohlone’s ACCUPLACER placement tests (for English and Math) and test out at equivalent levels in English (reading and writing) and Math. Contact the Placement Testing Center for testing.
Additionally, applicants (those not possessing any college degrees) must successfully:
- Complete 30 general education (GE) credits (1 year of college-level work) with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher.)
All applicants must submit an IPP application, found online, to the Deaf Studies Division which is open to accept applications for Fall 2013 from April 17 - May 1.
All applicants must attend an all-day screening to evaluate skills and determine eligibility to enter the program. All applicants will be evaluated regardless of previous course work/experience in ASL.
- Applications accepted April 17 - May 1, 2013
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2013 at 5:00pm
- Mandatory Screening Day: May 11, 2013
Please check eligibility requirements and include with your submission:
- Letter of interest
- IPP Application
- Names of three (3) people we should expect references from (letters or forms) (references are sent directly to the program, not put in application packet)
- College transcripts
Students meeting the pre-requisites will be informed and will be sent the location and time of mandatory screening.
For questions, please contact Shelley Lawrence at email@example.com.
I. Academic Policy for the IPP
Progression in the IPP requires taking courses in a specific sequence. Students must achieve a grade of “C” or better in each course to continue.
If a student does not pass a course, it may be repeated the following year, dependent upon faculty recommendation and space availability.
If the same course is failed twice, the student will not be eligible to re-enter the IPP. Additionally, if a student does not pass two separate IPP courses anytime while in the program, he or she will not be eligible to re-enter the IPP.
II. Conditions for Progression in the Interpreter Preparation Program
Reasons for Exiting the Program
Not passing grade
Should a student earn a grade less than a “C” in any class in the IPP, the course may be repeated one time only. According to college policy, courses assigned a grade of “I” must be completed within one year or the grad (“I”) will revert to a grade of “F”.
A stop out is defined as a temporary leave of absence from the IPP, available only to students in good standing. Re-entry into the IPP is dependent on space availability.
Students with the following circumstances may request a one-time stop-out while attending the IPP:
- Circumstances based on the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), 1995 regulations:
- birth of a child
- student’s own serious health condition
- the care of a spouse, child or blood parent with serious health condition
- Condition to Return
- A letter of intent to the Dean of Deaf Studies and the IPP Program Coordinator.
- Space availability
- Completion of a student action plan
- Review by the dean and faculty of the IPP
Students in good standing (earning a “C” or above in a course) may drop an IPP class without penalty. If the student is not in good standing, a grade of “F” will be awarded and for purposes of the program, will be treated as an earned “F”.
Condition of return is the same as above.Skip plugin info.
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".