English as a Second Language (ESL) Courses
Core ESL Courses
Take the ESL Placement Test to find out which English classes are right for you.
|1||ESL-181RW - Includes reading, writing, and grammar (5 units)||ESL-181LS - Includes listening and speaking (5 units)|
|2||ESL-182RW - Includes reading, writing, and grammar (5 units)||ESL182LS - Includes listening and speaking (5 units)|
|3||ESL-183RW - Includes reading, writing, and grammar (4 units)||ESL-183LS - Includes listening and speaking(4 units)|
|4||ESL-184RW - Inicludes reading, writing, and grammar (4 units)||There is no Listening and Speaking class available at Level 4.|
|After Level 4 of the ESL Program, you will take classes with Native Speakers of English in the English Department. See sequence of classes.|
Did You Know…?
"At Ohlone College I improved my English and discovered which programs of study and transfer university were best for me." —Merline Hidayat, Jakarta, Indonesia, Transferred from Ohlone College to UC Berkeley.
Additional ESL Courses
Refer to the online Class Schedule for times and availability. Please note: Not every course is offered every semester.
- ESL-122 News and Current Events for ESL Students (2 units)
- ESL-123 English Verb Tenses (3 units); open to students in Level 2 or above
- ESL-125 Using the Internet for ESL Practice (2 units); open to all students
- ESL-150 English Pronunciation I (3 units)
- ESL-151 English Pronunciation II (3 units)
- ESL-181LS Listening and Speaking, Level I (5 units)
- ESL-191 Grammar and Editing Skills; open to students in ESL-184RW or above (in English Department courses)
- ESL for deaf students (for more information, see Deaf Preparatory Program):
- DEAF-116A/B ESL Vocabulary in American Sign Language
- DEAF-118A/B ESL Writing in American Sign Language
- DEAF-119A/B ESL Reading in American Sign Language
Independent Study English Courses Open to ESL Students (offered every semester)
- ENGL-172 Vocabulary Improvement (1 unit)
- ENGL-173 Improvement of Learning Techniques (1 unit)
- ENGL-174 Spelling Improvement (1 unit)
- ENGL-175 Reading and Comprehension Improvement (1 unit)
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore. The exact textbook and other specific costs are now available for each section on WebAdvisor (select "Book Info").
Students may go to the Ohlone College Bookstore website to find the textbook(s), access codes (keys), or supplies for their class(es). Students may be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Additional supplies may be required and will be listed on the course syllabus on the first day of classes. Please check with your instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Upon successful completion of the courses in this discipline, the student will have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrate the confidence and listening/speaking skills necessary to participate successfully in spontaneous aural/oral exchanges with native speakers of English in a variety of personal, professional, and/or academic settings.
- Demonstrate reading comprehension of English texts intended for developmental (or higher level) English courses.
- Respond appropriately to written or spoken English by writing paragraphs or short essays that communicate ideas clearly.