Foreign Language Courses
Ohlone College offers foreign language courses for these languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish.
Register for classes using WebAdvisor. Review the online Class Schedule for class dates and times. Course descriptions are available in the Catalog. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and/or have questions answered.
A sampling of courses for this discipline includes (not a complete list):
- ARBC-101A Elementary Arabic
- CHIN-101A/B Elementary Mandarin Chinese
- CHIN-102A/B Intermediate Mandarin Chinese
- CHIN-121B Mandarin Chinese Conversation II
- FREN-101A/B Elementary French
- FREN-102A/B Intermediate French
- FREN-110 Beginning Conversational French
- JPNS-101A/B Elementary Japanese
- JPNS-102A/B Intermediate Japanese
- SPAN-101A/B Elementary Spanish
- SPAN-102A/B Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN-121A/B Beginning Conversational Spanish
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore. The exact textbook and other specific costs are now available for each section on WebAdvisor (select "Book Info").
Students may go to the Ohlone College Bookstore website to find the textbook(s), access codes (keys), or supplies for their class(es). Students may be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Additional supplies may be required and will be listed on the course syllabus on the first day of classes. Please check with your instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Upon successful completion of the courses in this discipline, the student will have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrate progressive oral competence of the language as advance through the course levels.
- Decipher progressively more difficult texts as advance through the course levels.
- Become more competent in writing ability through the progressive course levels, in conjunction with the course content of each class.
- Demonstrate rudimentary to more advanced level of cultural and historical understanding of the societies associated with the target language as advance through the course levels.