Foreign Language Courses
Ohlone College offers foreign language courses for these languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish.
Register for classes using WebAdvisor. Review the searchable online Class Schedule for class dates and times. Course descriptions are available in the Catalog. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and/or have questions answered.
A sampling of courses for this discipline includes (not a complete list):
- ARBC-101A/B Elementary Arabic
- CHIN-101A/B Elementary Mandarin Chinese
- CHIN-102A/B Intermediate Mandarin Chinese
- CHIN-131/132 Business Chinese
- FREN-101A/B Elementary French
- FREN-102A/B Intermediate French
- JPNS-101A/B Elementary Japanese
- JPNS-102A/B Intermediate Japanese
- SPAN-101A/B Elementary Spanish
- SPAN-102A/B Intermediate Spanish
- SPAN-121A/B Beginning Conversational Spanish
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore.
Students may also be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Please check with the instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Upon successful completion of the courses in this discipline, the student will have acquired the following knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrate progressive oral competence of the language as advance through the course levels.
- Decipher progressively more difficult texts as advance through the course levels.
- Become more competent in writing ability through the progressive course levels, in conjunction with the course content of each class.
- Demonstrate rudimentary to more advanced level of cultural and historical understanding of the societies associated with the target language as advance through the course levels.