Mathematics Department in the News
- Math in the Movies with Jeff O'Connell: The Ohlone College professor collects math jokes from movies and TV - May 12, 2010, East Bay Express - In the 1941 film In the Navy, Bud Abbott and Lou Costello portray sailors working in a ship's galley. Having just made 28 doughnuts, Costello proclaims that this batch will supply seven officers with thirteen doughnuts each. A fellow soldier questions this.
- Ilene (Sam) Katz, Math Professor, is a STAR in Promoting Student Engagement and Success! - March 11, 2009
- Vegas comes to Ohlone, if only for a day - October 23, 2008, Ohlone College Monitor - Don’t quit your day jobs, folks. It may not have been the conclusion students were looking for at Friday’s Brown Bag Science Seminar, but it was the advice Math Instructor Jeff O’Connell gave to those hoping to “beat the system,” Las Vegas-style, through card counting.
- Math Club 4th in U.S. - December 6, 2007, Ohlone College Monitor - The exam scores rank Ohlone 1st in Northern California and 4th in the U.S.
- Jeff O’Connell’s Brown Bag: Math goes to the movies - November 8, 2007, Ohlone College Monitor - It was an unlikely scenario: Homer Simpson, a cartoon figure with an IQ lower than most rodents, had apparently just disproved a 500-year-old mathematical tenet. It was an unlikelier setting: the cartoon was being shown and discussed before a packed house at last Friday’s Brown Bag Science Seminar, led by Math Instructor Jeff O’Connell.
- Math team wins in Monterey - May 10, 2007, Ohlone College Monitor - Ohlone’s team is ranked eighth nationally among community colleges.