Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club is proud to announce the Fall 2017 installment in the Psychology Club Speaker Series.
Meet-and-Greet with James “The Amazing” Randi
Live and in person! Come meet world famous magician, skeptic, and author James “The Amazing” Randi! The Ohlone Psychology Department will host this special, one of a kind event where you can meet the man who broke Houdini's records, had an asteroid named after him by the International Space Agency, has authored numerous best selling books, and started the entire skeptic movement. Randi will be on hand to shake hands, autograph books and photos, and may even perform a few miracles of a semi-religious nature!
This is a FREE event!
- Sunday, December 17, 2017
- 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Ohlone College Newark Campus,
39399 Cherry Street, Newark, CA 94560
About the Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club began its Speaker Series in Spring of 2009 with the mission of hosting talks from professionals whose work contributes to critical thinking, skepticism, and science.
Each talk is focused on a specific theme which is the topic of discussion and learning at each of our weekly club meetings that semester. This allows us to invite a new prominent speaker to contribute her or his knowledge and perspective every semester. Lively conversation, debate, and collaboration are hallmarks of these events.
The talks are the result of the hard work of Psychology Club members who volunteer their time to plan and execute the entire event. All proceeds are used to fund future educational talks.
If you are interested in joining or learning more about the Ohlone College Psychology Club, please contact Sheldon Helms at email@example.com.
Use these links to learn about past speaker events:
- Hoarding Disorder: Dispelling the Myths and Increasing Awareness of Treatment Strategies, October 13, 2017
- The Psychology of False Confessions by Dr. Patrick O’Reilly, March 30, 2017
- Dr. Marty Klein: Pornography 2016: PornPanic, Public Health, and Porn Literacy, October 14, 2016
- Magda Brown "Overcoming Evil: Surviving the Holocaust", March 10, 2016
- An Evening with James Randi, October 15, 2015
- An Honest Liar - The Amazing Randi Story, April 3, 2015
- SGU-Geo Skeptical Extravaganza and Quiz Show, November 22, 2014
- Nancy Segal "Twins Raised Apart: The Science Behind the Stories", October 10, 2014
- Mary Johnson "How I Became a Nun and Disappointed Mother Teresa: An Examination of Commitment Mechanisms by a Former Nun", February 21, 2014
- Bryan & Baxter, Paranormal Claims Investigators, April 1, 2013
- Dr. Carol Tavris "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)", October 12, 2012
- James Randi, "Prophecy, Divination, and Faith Healing", April 13, 2012
- Dr. Anthony Pratkanis, "Selling FlimFlam" The Social Psychology of Influence, October 28, 2011
- Dr. Eugenie Scott, "Evolution vs. Creationism", March 17, 2011
- "My Journey from Evil to Heroism" An Evening with Dr. Philip Zimbardo, November 18, 2010
- "Health Scams and Myths" An Evening with Brian Dunning, April 16, 2010
- "The Real Rain Man" An Evening with Kim Peek, October 30, 2009
- "Why People Believe Weird Things" An Evening with Michael Shermer, March 6, 2009