Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club is proud to announce the latest installment in the Psychology Club Speaker Series.
Dr. Marty Klein: Pornography 2016: PornPanic, Public Health, and Porn Literacy
People are rightly concerned about the impact of internet porn—on kids and teens, on young adults, and on couples. How is it affecting our views of sex, gender, and bodies? How can parents prepare kids for the images they may see and the lessons they may learn? How can couples productively discuss one partner’s porn use if the other partner objects? How do we validate the broad range of sexual fantasies that interest the human family? Finally, what are some common myths about porn—how it’s made, its actual content, and how society has changed (or not) since it was introduced on a mass scale in 2000?
How do we balance the following concerns?
- The possible negative effects of porn use on its consumers and society;
- The millions of porn users who insist their use is harmless;
- Women consumers who enjoy pornography;
- Free expression advocates who reject censorship, especially of alternative sexual expression.
Dr. Marty Klein will discuss the Porn Literacy model that can guide parents in helping kids, help couples manage conflict, and support young adults as they develop and express their sexuality.
- Friday, October 14, 2016
- Jackson Theatre, Smith Center for the Fine and Performing Arts, Ohlone College, Fremont campus
- Event Parking: $4
- Smith Center Box Office / Information
- Download Dr. Marty Klein: Pornography 2016 flyer (PDF)
About Dr. Marty Klein
Sex Therapist and Social Scientist Dr. Marty Klein has spoken about sexuality at 60 colleges and in 40 countries. Audiences everywhere describe his talks as thought-provoking, down-to-earth, and entertaining.
Dr. Marty Klein has been a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Certified Sex Therapist for 34 years. He is the award-winning author of 7 books about sexuality, including America’s War On Sex; Sexual Intelligence; and His Porn, Her Pain.
Marty appears frequently in the national media, including The New Yorker, The New York Times, National Public Radio and The Daily Show. He is outspoken about many popular ideas about sexuality; Wikipedia cites him as an important voice in America’s controversy about sex addiction.
Marty is an internationally-respected expert regarding pornography. A founding editorial board member of the Journal of Porn Studies, he contributed to the Pornography section of the International Encyclopedia of Human Sexuality, and testifies on the subject in state, federal, and international courts. Marty recently gave two Congressional briefings on evidence-based sex education.
Marty’s popular blog is www.SexEd.org.
About the Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club began its Speaker Series in Spring of 2009 with the mission of hosting talks from professionals whose work contributes to critical thinking, skepticism, and science.
Each talk is focused on a specific theme which is the topic of discussion and learning at each of our weekly club meetings that semester. This allows us to invite a new prominent speaker to contribute her or his knowledge and perspective every semester. Lively conversation, debate, and collaboration are hallmarks of these events.
The talks are the result of the hard work of Psychology Club members who volunteer their time to plan and execute the entire event. All proceeds are used to fund future educational talks.
If you are interested in joining or learning more about the Ohlone College Psychology Club, please contact Sheldon Helms at email@example.com.
Use these links to learn about past speaker events:
- Magda Brown "Overcoming Evil: Surviving the Holocaust", March 10, 2016
- An Evening with James Randi, October 15, 2015
- An Honest Liar - The Amazing Randi Story, April 3, 2015
- SGU-Geo Skeptical Extravaganza and Quiz Show, November 22, 2014
- Nancy Segal "Twins Raised Apart: The Science Behind the Stories", October 10, 2014
- Mary Johnson "How I Became a Nun and Disappointed Mother Teresa: An Examination of Commitment Mechanisms by a Former Nun", February 21, 2014
- Bryan & Baxter, Paranormal Claims Investigators, April 1, 2013
- Dr. Carol Tavris "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)", October 12, 2012
- James Randi, "Prophecy, Divination, and Faith Healing", April 13, 2012
- Dr. Anthony Pratkanis, "Selling FlimFlam" The Social Psychology of Influence, October 28, 2011
- Dr. Eugenie Scott, "Evolution vs. Creationism", March 17, 2011
- "My Journey from Evil to Heroism" An Evening with Dr. Philip Zimbardo, November 18, 2010
- "Health Scams and Myths" An Evening with Brian Dunning, April 16, 2010
- "The Real Rain Man" An Evening with Kim Peek, October 30, 2009
- "Why People Believe Weird Things" An Evening with Michael Shermer, March 6, 2009