Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club is proud to announce the first Spring 2015 installment in the Psychology Club Speaker Series.
An Honest Liar - The Amazing Randi Story
The Ohlone College Psychology Club is pleased to announce a screening of "An Honest Liar - The Amazing Randi Story."
Winner of the American Film Institute's "Audience Award for Best Feature" in 2014, this 90-minute documentary details the personal life and career of magician-turned-skeptic James "The Amazing" Randi. In it, Bill Nye (The Science Guy), Penn & Teller, Alice Cooper, and Adam Savage (Mythbusters) are among those who help tell Randi's story, and discuss his influence on their lives and careers.
Randi's life mirrors that of the great magician Houdini in more ways than one. Not only did his rise to fame come from performing feats of magic and escape artistry that rivaled competitors, but his later career challenging psychics, paranormalists, and pseudoscientists to prove their claims under proper observing conditions (with the tantalizing offer of the JREF's $1 million should they succeed) has made him the darling of skeptics, and the nemesis of charlatans, the world over.
Writer and director Tyler Measom will be on hand to introduce the film, and will hold a Q&A after the show so that guests can ask him about the making of the film, behind-the-scenes experiences with Randi, and his other award-winning projects.
- Friday, April 3, 2015
- Jackson Theatre, Smith Center for the Fine and Performing Arts, Ohlone College, Fremont campus
- Event Parking: $2
- Smith Center Box Office / Information
About the Psychology Club Speaker Series
The Ohlone College Psychology Club began its Speaker Series in Spring of 2009 with the mission of hosting talks from professionals whose work contributes to critical thinking, skepticism, and science.
Each talk is focused on a specific theme which is the topic of discussion and learning at each of our weekly club meetings that semester. This allows us to invite a new prominent speaker to contribute her or his knowledge and perspective every semester. Lively conversation, debate, and collaboration are hallmarks of these events.
The talks are the result of the hard work of Psychology Club members who volunteer their time to plan and execute the entire event. All proceeds are used to fund future educational talks.
If you are interested in joining or learning more about the Ohlone College Psychology Club, please contact Sheldon Helms at email@example.com.
Use these links to learn about past speaker events:
- SGU-Geo Skeptical Extravaganza and Quiz Show, November 22, 2014
- Nancy Segal "Twins Raised Apart: The Science Behind the Stories", October 10, 2014
- Mary Johnson "How I Became a Nun and Disappointed Mother Teresa: An Examination of Commitment Mechanisms by a Former Nun", February 21, 2014
- Bryan & Baxter, Paranormal Claims Investigators, April 1, 2013
- Dr. Carol Tavris "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)", October 12, 2012
- James Randi, "Prophecy, Divination, and Faith Healing", April 13, 2012
- Dr. Anthony Pratkanis, "Selling FlimFlam" The Social Psychology of Influence, October 28, 2011
- Dr. Eugenie Scott, "Evolution vs. Creationism", March 17, 2011
- "My Journey from Evil to Heroism" An Evening with Dr. Philip Zimbardo, November 18, 2010
- "Health Scams and Myths" An Evening with Brian Dunning, April 16, 2010
- "The Real Rain Man" An Evening with Kim Peek, October 30, 2009
- "Why People Believe Weird Things" An Evening with Michael Shermer, March 6, 2009