Help people breathe more easily! Become a respiratory therapist!
Download the Fall 2016 RT Application Packet (PDF).
RT Program Application Requirements. Please carefully read about the RT Program Application Requirements that begin for Fall 2016 Semester applicants.
ACCUPLACER exams - please go to the Placement Testing Center's reservations page. Space is limited so sign up early. Please do not take this exam if you are not ready to apply this application period.
The profession of Respiratory Care is growing rapidly. Respiratory Care is a health care specialty directed at the diagnosis, treatment, management, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardio respiratory system. Demand for skilled therapists is at an all time high level in the Bay Area.
The Respiratory Therapist is a licensed allied health care specialist in cardio-pulmonary evaluation and treatment. In only two years you can learn skills which will prepare you for a well-paying, flexible job anywhere in the United States.
Upon completion of the program graduates are eligible to sit for the California State License Examination for Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP). Once the RCP Credential has been attained graduates are eligible to sit for the Advanced Level Practitioner Examinations (RRT) of the National Board for Respiratory Care.
This program is based on a selective admission process and involves a special Application for Admission. Applicants are selected once a year and begin the course of study each Fall Semester. For program application contact the Health Sciences Division Office.
View our online photo album to learn more about us!
Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree
Review a sample listing of Courses in this area of study. Review academic requirements in the Catalog and in the Curriculum Guides. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and discuss their long-range academic plan.
Apply for a Degree or Certificates
Are you finishing your associate degree or certificate? Please review How to Apply for a Degree or Certificate.
Please carefully read about the RT Program Application Requirements that begin for Fall 2016 Semester applicants.
Please note these important changes to Ohlone’s RT Program Application Process:
All applicants, regardless of previous degrees earned must clear the Ohlone College Reading Comprehension (ACCUPLACER) Assessment Examination or complete ENGL-163 or ENGL-167 with a grade of “B” or better.
All applicants, regardless of previous degrees earned must clear the Ohlone College Math Comprehension (ACCUPLACER) Assessment Examination or complete MATH-153 (Intermediate Algebra) or equivalent course with a grade of "C" or better.
The following courses are prerequisite requirements for application to the Respiratory Therapist Program*:
- BIOL-103A and BIOL-103B (Human Anatomy and Physiology) or equivalent must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- BIOL-106 (Microbiology) or equivalent must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- PHYS-108 (Physics) (or equivalent 3-unit general physics course) must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- CHEM-109 (Biochemistry for Health Science and Biotechnology) or equivalent must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
The above requirements are in addition to the following Support Courses:
- ENGL-101A (Reading and Written Composition) with a grade of "C" or better,
- PSY-108 (Developmental Psychology) or other 3-unit Developmental Psychology course must be completed at time of application with a grade of "C" or better. PSY-101 (General Psychology) does NOT meet this requirement.
The following is a recommended course prior to entering the Program:
- SPCH-101 (Public Speaking) or SPCH-103 (Interpersonal Communication) with a grade of "C" or better. This requirement is highly desirable.
* Prerequisite and Support courses may be “In Progress” at the time of application. These courses must be completed no later than the end of the Spring Semester during the year of application.
Application period for Fall 2016 is January 4, 2016 to April 1, 2016. Download the Fall 2016 RT Application Packet (PDF).
All meetings are in Room NC2222, second floor, Wing 2 at the Ohlone College Newark Center, 39399 Cherry Street, Newark, CA 94560 (Newark Campus Maps & Directions). The RT Mandatory Application Orientation Meetings are open to the public.
Important: Please be sure to purchase a $4 daily parking permit from one of the permit machines in the parking lots.
|Wednesday, August 24, 2016||7:00pm|
|Saturday, October 1, 2016||10:00am|
|Wednesday, November 9, 2016||7:00pm|
|Saturday, December 10, 2016||10:00am|
|Wednesday, January 25, 2017||7:00pm|
|Saturday, February 18, 2017||10:00am|
Hello, my name is Michael Blaisdell. As the Program Director for the Respiratory Therapist Program I would like to welcome you to the Ohlone College Respiratory Therapist Program website!
If you are considering a career in health care, please look closely at Respiratory Care, an exciting high-tech profession with much to offer you as someone exploring possibilities for your first (or next!) career.
Related Information at Ohlone
DivisionSkip plugin notice.
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".