Forensics (Speech & Debate) Team News Archive - Speech & Communication Studies Department
Go to current Speech & Debate Team News.
- April 2014 - The speech and debate team just returned from competing against 57 community colleges with each event averaging 70 students competing against one another at the National Phi Rho Pi Tournament in Denver, CO. Philip Enguancho walked away with 2 Silver Awards in Poetry and Oral Interpretation. Sarah Dorman was awarded with the Bronze for the Informative speaking event.
- February 21-22, 2014 - The speech and debate team competed against other Nor Cal schools at a tournament at Chabot College where events included oral interpretation, limited preparation, and platform speaking. We were incredibly successful, proudly taking home awards in 5 out of 5 events! Ohlone ended up walking away with a 3rd place sweeps award! Congratulations Philip Enguancho and Sarah Dorman!
- February 8-9, 2014 - The speech and debate team competed in the Nor Cal championship at San Joaquin Delta College. Our team, Philip Enguancho and Sarah Dorman, successfully competed taking home awards from four out of six events, proudly winning a third place sweeps award!
- March 27, 2012 - At the California State Speech Tournament March 15-18, Ohlone Students took the 4th place sweepstakes for small schools and Philip Enguancho earned a Silver Medal in Prose Interpretation. Two of our students qualified for the National tournament—Phlip Enguancho and Heather Warren.
- February 14, 2012 - The last two weekends have been busy with back-to-back tournaments. At Los Positas on February 4th, Heather Warren took 5th place in Dramatic Interpretation. At Chabot, this last weekend, Heather Warren took 3rd place in Open Communication Analysis. As a team, we took 3rd place sweeps for limited entry Community Colleges.
- November 15, 2011 - A few of our students competed at Northridge this last weekend. We are proud that our student Philip Enguancho won 1st place in Oral Interpretation of Poetry and 6th place in both Prose Interpretation and Programmed Oral Interpretation. You can see Philip perform his poetry this coming Friday, Nov. 18th at Poetry Night—7 p.m. In 2133. Philip has placed first in the last four tournaments that we have attended.
- November 8, 2011 - The Ohlone Forensics Team competed in back-to-back tournaments this last weekend. On Friday at Delta College, Philip Enguancho won first place in Open Poetry Interpretation. On Saturday and Sunday at the University of the Pacific with 35 colleges and universities competing, we had the following winners: Alan Chan Semi-Finalist in Extemporaneous Speaking (current event topics with limited preparation) Heather Warren Finalist in Dramatic Interpretation Philip Enguancho 2nd place in Open Programmed Oral Interpretation Philip Enguancho also won 1st place in Open Poetry Interpretation.
- October 25, 2011 - Three of the six team members were award winners this last weekend. The first day of the tournament winners were: Phillip Enguancho 3rd place in Poetry Interpretation Heather Warren Finalist in Prose Interpretation The 2nd day of the tournament winners were: Phillip Enguancho 1st place in Poetry Interpretation & 4th place in Programmed Oral Interp Heather Warren 3rd place in Dramatic Interpretation & Finalist in Prose Interpretation Farah Habad Finalist in Dramatic Interpretation.
- September 28, 2011 - Speech & Debate Team wins 3rd place Sweepstakes Award for 2-year schools at SF State. The Forensics (Speech & Debate) Team competed at San Francisco State this past weekend (September 24-25). There were two tournaments (back-to-back) and our students made us proud!
- First Tournament:
- Eric Camacho, 2nd place in Novice Extemp. Speaking and 4th in Novice Impromptu
- Phillip Enguancho, 1st in Novice Poetry Interpretation and 3rd in Programmed Oral Interpretation
- Heather Warren, Communication Analysis, Top Novice Speaker; Dramatic Interp, Top Novice Speaker; and 3rd place in Prose Interpretation
- Second Tournament:
- Eric Camacho, 2nd place in Novice Extemp
- Allen Chan, 6th place in Open Extemp.
- Philip Enguancho, 3rd place in Programmed Oral Interpretation and 3rd place in Prose Interpretation
- Heather Warren, 1st place in Prose Interpretation; 6th place in Open Dramatic Interpretation; and Communication Analysis, Top Novice
- First Tournament:
May 10, 2011 - The Forensics Team had a great Spring 2011 semester! Andrew Ball and Allen Chan won bronze in Parliamentary Debate at the State finals in March. And, this last Saturday, May 7th, we had several winners including:
- 2nd place in Drama Interpretation, Heather Warren
- 4th place in Poetry Interpretation, Kathryn Lopez
- 5th place in Poetry Interpretation, Onofre Galvez
- And two finalists in Parliamentary Debate, Anna Liang and Nora Qutob.
Spring 2009 Forensics Team News
Andie Morhous, a member of the Forensics team, will be representing both Ohlone College and the Northern California Forensics Association at the 140th contest of the Interstate Oratorical Association at the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi on April 24 and 25, 2009. Andie received a first place in persuasive speaking at the NCFA regional tournament at the end of February and earned this honor to represent our region and Ohlone.
The Forensics Team had some wins at Chico State the Weekend of February 22, 2009. The following students received awards:
- Stephen Poole - Finalist in Novice Impromptu Speaking (his 1st tournament)
- Mohammed Sidiqqui - 2nd place in After Dinner Speaking
The Big Win: Andie Morhous took 1st place in Persuasive Speaking!
Andie will be representing Ohlone and the Northern California Forensics Association at the 140th annual Interstate Oratory Association tournament at the University of Mississippi in Oxford in April 2009. We are very proud of Andie because she is the first community college student to represent our region in over 2 years (usually a student from a 4-year institution has won).
- The Big Win! Andie Morhous took 1st place in Persuasive Speaking! Andie will be representing Ohlone and the Northern California Forensics Association at the 140th annual Interstate Oratory Association tournament at the University of Mississippi in Oxford the weekend of April 23 and 24th. We are very proud of Andie because she is the first community college student to represent our region in over 2 years (usually a student from a 4-year institution has won).
Ohlone Forensics Team Takes Gold at Nationals, April 30, 2007 press release.