Skip announcements.

Skip College Resources section.

Academic Regulations - Admissions and Records

It is the student's responsibility to be aware of the Academic Regulations listed on the College website in the printed Class Schedule, and in the Ohlone College Catalog.

Applying for Admission

Students may apply online at How to Enroll. Applying online via WebAdvisor is the fastest way to apply. Application forms are also available online for download (PDF), inside each term’s printed Class Schedule, from the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus, and from the Student Services Center on the Newark campus.

Female student in Quad with pink-flowering tree in background.

To be able to register for classes, all new and former students in the following categories must submit an application for admission:

  • New students entering Ohlone College for the first time;
  • Former students (students who did not attend Ohlone College during the previous Fall or Spring Semester);
  • All new or returning international students;
  • K-12 students seeking special admission.

Students who attended Ohlone College during the previous Fall or Spring Semester do not need to submit a new application. Per California Code of Regulations, Kindergarten-12the grade students are required to submit a new application every term.

Students should refer to the appropriate Academic Calendar for important dates.

Transcripts for Admission

The following students are expected to submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions:

  • Applicants to the Registered Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, or Respiratory Therapist Programs;
  • Veterans;
  • International students;
  • Students planning to transfer to baccalaureate college or university;
  • Students participating in intercollegiate sports.

The applicant is responsible for requesting that official transcripts are mailed directly to the Office of Admissions and Records. Applicants who have been out of high school for five years or more do not need to submit their high school transcripts.

Two male students on Fremont campus.

Schedule for Registration

Continuing students are assigned the earliest registration times and receive a registration appointment based on having a declared academic program (major) and by the number of Ohlone units earned toward that program. Registration appointments are emailed to students prior to the start of registration.

New and former students receive the next opportunity to register but do not receive specific appointments. New and former students cannot register for classes until they have completed the admission process.

10th-12th grade students will be able to register for classes approximately two weeks before the start of the term. 10th-12th grade students cannot register for classes until they have completed the admission process.

Kindergarten-9th grade students receive the last opportunity to register, starting the first day of the term. Kindergarten-9th grade students cannot register for classes until they have completed the admission process.

Students should refer to the appropriate Academic Calendar for important dates.

Holds on Records

Students with unfulfilled obligations to Ohlone College may not be allowed to register until their obligations are fulfilled. Registration holds may be placed on student records for financial obligations such as unpaid enrollment, fees, library fines, bad checks, or for disciplinary actions. Students must arrange for removal of all holds in order to register for classes and/or request transcripts.

It is the student's responsibility to be aware of the Academic Regulations listed in on the College website the printed Class Schedule, the Student Handbook, and in the Ohlone College Catalog.

Happy Ohlone College graduate!

Registration and Attendance

Students are responsible for ensuring that they are officially enrolled in classes, that course prerequisites have been met, and for attending the first and all subsequent class meetings. Students may be dropped by their instructor for not attending the first class meeting or for excessive absences.

Although instructors have the right to drop students for non-attendance at the first or subsequent class meetings, it is the student's responsibility to drop classes. Students who do not attend class, do not drop the class, and have not been dropped by the instructor are held responsible for fees, grades, or other obligations.

Students should not stop payment on their checks. Students who stop payment on a check for Enrollment Fees will be assessed the fee for a returned check and will be responsible for all fees other than enrollment in dropped classes. This action will create an unpaid obligation to the College and the student will be unable to receive transcripts or register for future courses until the debt is satisfied.

Adding / Dropping Classes

See Adding / Dropping Classes, Non Payment Policy.

Waitlisting Classes

See Waitlisting Classes.


Students who do not attend the first or second class meeting may be dropped by the instructor to allow room for other students. The instructor establishes the attendance policy for each class. Students are responsible for knowing the attendance policy for their classes. Students are responsible for dropping classes they are unable to complete. Additional information about student responsibilities related to Attendance is available in the current Ohlone College Catalog.

Refer to the Academic Calendar for important dates that affect dropping classes.

Class Selection Limits

  1. Students may register only for one section of any class per semester.
  2. Students may not register for a class in which an Incomplete grade was received in a prior semester.
  3. Students may not register for classes meeting at the same time or that overlap.
  4. Students may not be able to register for more than 17.5 units during Fall and Spring semesters and 8.5 units during Summer term without permission from the Counseling Department. See Student Load / Overload Guidelines.


Registering for Courses with Prerequisites

Many courses have prerequisites that must be successfully completed prior to enrollment. If students have registered for a course while still completing a prerequisite, they will be dropped from the course after final grades are posted if they have not met the requirement of a grade of C or better in the prerequisite course.

Female student sitting on ground in quad working on her laptop.

Prerequisites Taken at Another College or University

Students who have completed the course prerequisite at another college or university must speak to a counselor (Building 7, third floor on the Fremont campus or at the Student Services Center in Room NC1312, first floor, Wing 3 on the Newark campus) about getting the prerequisite waived. Information about clearing prerequisites is available on the Counseling website.

Students will not be able to register for classes if Ohlone does not have records that demonstrate students have successfully completed the course prerequisites.

Please note that per Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, Kindergarten-12th grade classes cannot be used to meet college prerequisites.

Repeating Courses

See Repeating Courses.

Student Load / Overload Guidelines

Student Load / Overload Units
Semester Half Time Full Time Overload
Fall / Spring 6 units 12 - 17.5 units 18+ units
Summer 3 units 6 - 8.5 units 9+ units

A student load is defined as the total subjects and units carried in any one semester. Fifteen (15) units constitute the normal semester program. Permission to carry an excess load of more than 17.5 units for Fall and Spring Semesters and of more than 8.5 units for Summer Term may be granted upon submission and approval of a student petition through the Counseling Department. Information about overloads is available online.

Students requesting an overload must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.20 or higher and must have completed at least 15 units of college or university coursework after graduation from high school.

Student enrollment history will also be considered. For example, students who have withdrawn from several classes, especially during terms in which previous overloads have been granted, may be denied permission to enroll in an overload for the following term.


Students who wish to audit a graded credit course may do so under the following conditions:

  • Class attendance as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise desiring to enroll in the class for credit toward a degree or certificate have had an opportunity to enroll.
  • Class attendance as an auditor shall be permitted only after approval has been obtained from the instructor.
  • The Audit Form (PDF) must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus or the Student Services Center on the Newark campus by the add deadline for the class (see the appropriate Academic Calendar).
  • No student auditing a class shall be permitted to change enrollment status in that class to receive credit.
  • Auditors must pay the appropriate audit fees. Enrollment Fees may not be used to pay for auditing a class.
  • The non-refundable audit fee is $15 USD per unit per term.
  • Students enrolled in credit classes for 10 or more semester units shall not be charged a fee to audit 3 or fewer units per term. To obtain this credit, students must contact the Cashier’s Office after the third week of a full term.

Catalog Rights

Pursuant to California Code of Regulations Section 40401, a student pursuing an associate degree, Certificate of Achievement, or a Certificate of Accomplishment may follow the General Education and major requirements for the degree or requirements for the certificate which are published in the Catalog effective for the academic year in which the student first began attendance at Ohlone College, or regulations current at the time the student files for and receives the degree or certificate. Exceptions to this would be by the petition process.

Students pursuing academic programs that require a separate application process are assigned to the catalog year in which the student is accepted into the program.

A course in which a student receives a W grade is not considered to have been completed.

The preceding catalog rights are subject to the following limitation: a student who does not complete an Ohlone College course(s) during a period of six consecutive terms, including Summer terms, forfeits the right to follow the degree or certificate requirements set forth in any catalog prior to the resumption of studies. For the purpose of this section, the effective period of a Ohlone College Catalog extends from the beginning of a Fall Semester to the close of the subsequent Summer Term. Please note that the College may require substitutions for required courses that have been discontinued.

Male student playing guitar on stairway at Fremont campus.

Common Course Number (C-ID)

The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by Ohlone College.

A C-ID number signals that participating California public colleges and universities have determined that courses offered by other California community colleges are comparable in content and scope to courses offered on their own campuses, regardless of their unique titles or local course number.

Students should go to to confirm how each college's course will be accepted at another college or university for transfer credit.

Academic Standing

A student’s status may fall within several categories ranging from the acknowledgment of highest honors to dismissal, the latter resulting in separation from Ohlone College. The categories are as follows: Honors (President’s List, WithHonors, and With Highest Honors), Clear Standing, Probation (Academic and Progress), Subject to Dismissal (Academic and Progress), and Dismissal (Academic and Progress).


A student who achieves outstanding scholarship in any semester (3.20 or above in six or more units and whose cumulative GPA is 2.00 or above) will receive the distinction of being placed on the President’s List.

A student with a cumulative grade point average in all college work applied toward the degree between 3.20 and 3.49 inclusive will graduate “With Honors.” A student with a cumulative GPA between 3.50 and 4.00 inclusive will graduate “With Highest Honors.” These notations will be included on the diploma and the transcript.

Clear Standing

A student whose last completed semester GPA and cumulative GPA are 2.00 or higher and whose accumulated units of W (Withdrawal), NP (No Pass), and/or I (Incomplete) do not reach or exceed 50 percent shall be in Clear Standing.

Probation and Dismissal Standings, Reinstatment

See Probation and Dismissal Information on the Counseling website for information.

Student Classifications

Students are classified in terms of the number of units they have completed and the number of units in which they are currently enrolled.

  • Freshman: A student who has earned from 0 to 29.5 semester units of college work credit
  • Sophomore: A student who has earned from 30 to 60 semester units of college work credit
  • Full time: A student enrolled in 12 or more semester units
  • Part time: A student enrolled in 11.5 or fewer units
  • Half-time:A student enrolled in 6 units or less


In any course offered at Ohlone College, the instructor of the course shall determine the grade earned by each student in accordance with grading symbols authorized for use by the California Code of Regulations and adopted by the Board of Trustees of Ohlone College.

The awarding of a grade to a student is the responsibility of the instructor of the course in which the student is registered. The earned grade as assigned by the instructor shall be final and shall become a part of the student’s permanent record. "The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency," per Section 55025 of the California Code of Regulations.

Grades are available to students online via WebAdvisor within approximately 10 days after the semester ends.

Refer to the latest Ohlone College Catalog for additional information about Grades and Repetition of Courses for credit or to improve a grade.

Grading Systems

(Per California Code of Regulations, Title 5, 55023.)

Ohlone College uses the following letter grade system for evaluating the quality of students’ work:

Evaluative Grades
Symbol Definition Grade Points
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Satisfactory 2
D Less than satisfactory 1
F Failing 0
P Pass (At least satisfactory; units awarded not counted in GPA. Has the same meaning as CR as that symbol was defined prior to June 20, 2007.) 0
NP No Pass (Less than satisfactory, or failing; units not counted in GPA. NP has the same meaning as NC as they symbol was defined prior to June 30, 2007.) 0
Non-Evaluative Grades
Symbol Definition Grade Points
I Incomplete 0
IP In Progress 0
MW Military Withdrawal 0
RD Report Delayed 0
W Withdrawal 0

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The grade point average is computer using the following formula: divice the number of grade points earned in classes where grades were awarded by the number of units attempted in those classes. Units earned in Pass/No Pass classes or any units earned in non-evaluative graded classes should not be included

Pass / No Pass

Many courses offer students the option of taking classes for a letter grade or pass/no pass. The pass/no pass option allows students the opportunity to explore courses outside the current major interest without undue concern for the grade point average.

A student is limited to one pass/no pass course per semester, in addition to Basic Skills, guidance, and PE and/or to courses offered for pass/no pass only.

Students must submit the Pass/No Pass Authorization Form (PDF) to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus or the Student Services Center on the Newark campus by the deadline listed in the appropriate Academic Calendar.

A maximum of 15 units of pass/no pass courses may be attempted and applied to the associate degree. Courses taken on a pass/no pass basis cannot be used to satisfy the major field requirements for an associate degree or Certificate of Achievement. Refer to the current Ohlone College Catalog for further details.

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete grade may be assigned by the instructor only when a student has failed to complete the final examination, a final class project, or a term paper because of illness or an unforeseen personal emergency. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the instructor in such cases.

When such conditions exist, the instructor and student must complete an Incomplete Grade Contract which outlines the work to be completed within one academic year. The completed contract must then be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus. When the work has been completed as outlined on the contract the instructor will submit a Change of Grade form to the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus. Students who do not complete the contract will be assigned a grade of F after the end of the term in which the Incomplete was given.

Students may not re-enroll in a course in which they have an Incomplete grade. Students may present evidence of extenuating circumstances to support a request for an extension of the Incomplete time limit. Petitions must be received before or by the end of the term in which the one year time limit expires.

Unit of Credit Definitions

Credit is assigned to courses based on the "Carnegie unit," which expects a student to complete three hours of work a week during an 18-week semester for one unit of credit. Usually this equates to one hour of lecture or discussion led by the instructor and appropriate assignments that would compel the student to complete two hours of outside preparation. Courses that require a laboratory component will require three or more hours of work in the laboratory each week for one unit of credit.

Ohlone College is on a 16-week semester. Therefore, a three-unit lecture course requires a mimimum of 3.40 clock hours of classroom work each week for 16 weeks, in addition to any homework assigned by the instructor.

Semester vs. Quarter Units

Semester units carry a different value than quarter units. For the student who comes to Ohlone with units earned at a college or university on a quarter system, or for the student who intends to go to a college or university on a quarter system, the number of units earned will need to be converted.

To convert semester units to quarter units, multiply the number of semster units by 1.50 to obtain the comparable number of quarter units; to convert from quarter to semester units, multiply the number of quarter units by 0.66 to get comparable semester units.

Credit by Examination

A student who has achieved knowledge elsewhere or who has an understanding equivalent to that required by one or more college courses may receive academic credit by successfully completing a comprehensive course examination. To apply for Credit by Examination a student must be registered at Ohlone and be in good academic standing. Not all Ohlone College courses are offered for Credit by Examination. Final determination of which courses are available for credit byexamination will be made by the faculty member(s) who teaches the course and the appropriate Division Dean. Credit may only be granted for a course listed in the Ohlone College catalog.

Petitions for Credit by Examination are available in the Office of Admissions and Records on the Fremont campus and may be submitted during the first three weeks of any semester. Credit by Examination shall not be used to establish the 12 unit residency requirement for graduation, nor be considered Ohlone College credit for the purpose of meeting the 6 unit requirement for a Certificate of Achievement and the 50% requirement for a Certificate of Accomplishment.

Units awarded through Credit by Examination are so annotated on the student’s transcript and assigned a grade of Pass (P). Credit is not given for any class which the student has previously attempted and failed or for which he/she has previously sought Credit by Examination.

See the latest Ohlone College Catalog for additional information about Credit by Examination, as well as Credit for Military and Non-collegiate Courses/Training and Advanced Placement (AP) Credit.

Basic Skills Program

Basic Skills courses include courses that are non-transferable and are not associate degree applicable. Units attempted, units completed, and grade points for these courses will not be included in a student’s cumulative totals nor are they used in calculation of the grade point average. All units, grades, and grade points will still appear on the student’s permanent record; however, these courses will be identified by an asterisk in the node code column.

Per Section 55035 of the California Code of Regulations, students may not receive more than 30 semester units of credit for basic skills coursework.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".