AP 4022 Course Approval - Administrative Procedures, Chapter 4 Academic Affairs
- Reference: Title 5 Section 55100
The District relies primarily on the Faculty Senate for the development, submitting for Board approval, individual degree-applicable credit courses offered as part of an educational program approved by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office.
The Faculty Senate has established a Curriculum Committee to take the lead on the course approval process. All Academic Divisions have a minimum of one faculty representative and there are two voting student members. The Vice President, Academic Affairs; Vice President, Student Services; Division Deans; and Director of Curriculum and Scheduling are non-voting members. Faculty have two-year appointments, which are staggered to provide for continuity from year to year. The chairperson is an elected faculty member who served on the committee the previous year. All Curriculum Committee members receive training as required by Title 5 Section 55100.
The course approval process of the Curriculum Committee consists of the following steps:
- A faculty member enters new course into the CurricUNET Course and Program Approval Database Module.
- The Curriculum Committee screens the course. The faculty member submits the course to Curriculum Committee for approval.
- The Vice President, Academic Affairs, sends the approved course to Board for approval at next Board meeting after Curriculum Committee meeting.
- The Curriculum and Scheduling Office staff enter the course into Curriculum Inventory.
- The Curriculum and Scheduling Office receives course control number from Chancellor’s Office.
- The Curriculum and Scheduling Office builds new course in Datatel with the course control number supplied by the Chancellor’s Office.
Curriculum Committee approved: December 3, 2012
Adopted: November 2013