BP 2715 Code of Ethics/Standards of Practice - Board Policies, Chapter 2 Board of Trustees
- Reference: Accreditation Standard IV.B.1.a, e, & h
- Board Approved: 04/13/05
- Revised: 02/12/07, 05/06/09
The Board maintains high standards of ethical conduct for its members. Members of the Board are responsible for the following:
- Acting only in the best interest of the entire community and adhering to District Policies and Procedures.
- Protecting the interests of students in every decision and assuring the opportunity for high-quality education for every student.
- Using the powers of the office honestly and constructively, communicating and promoting the needs of the community to the College, and the needs of the College to the community.
- Maintaining an atmosphere in which controversial issues will be debated openly and fairly, protecting the dignity of individuals. Respecting others; acting with civility.
- Exercising authority only as a Board and conducting their relationships with college staff, students, local citizenry, and the media on that basis.
- Ensuring public input into board deliberations; adhering to the law and spirit of the open meeting laws and regulations.
- Maintaining confidentiality of closed sessions.
- Preventing conflicts of interest or the appearance of conflicts of interest and informing the entire Board or the Board President when a matter under consideration might involve such a conflict, as stated in the District’s Conflict of Interest Code.
- Using appropriate channels of communication, authority and responsibility.
- Devoting adequate time to board work.
- Being informed about the District, educational issues, and responsibilities to trusteeship.
- Promoting a healthy working relationship with the President/Superintendent through supportive, open, and honest communication and regular evaluation.