OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT

Ohlone College

Room 1216

43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA

 

Minutes of Citizens’ Oversight Committee Meeting

June 2, 2003

Page 1 of  3 Pages                                                                                                                    UNADOPTED

                                                                                                                                                                                   

 

MEMBERS PRESENT:       Dan Chang, Pat Danielson, Christopher Gray, James Griffin, Leo Hinkle, Jim Laub,

                                                George Mathiesen, Emily Sawyer,

 

MEMBERS ABSENT:          Ken Ballard, Louis Willett, Yelena Abubekerova

 

MANAGEMENT

PRESENT:                             Floyd Hogue, President/Superintendent

                                                Joanne Schultz, Executive Dean, Business Services

                                                Deanna Walston, Vice President, Business Services/Deputy Superintendent

                                               

OPEN MEETING:                 The meeting was called to order by Pat Danielson at 6:36 p.m.

 

Communications

from the Audience                  Joanne stated that the audit is in progress and that the auditors have started to do the agreed-upon procedures that were set out for these projects.

 

Communications

from Committee Members    Jim Griffin referred to the concerns he made regarding the Public Works contracting:  Construction Manager (CM) at risk method vs. traditional general contractor bidding, which was discussed at a recent meeting.  Dr. Hogue noted that he felt the information was very helpful in that it gave the Board of Trustees two points of view and that it helped them to understand the differences. 

                                               

                                                Jim had a copy of his memo written to Dr. Hogue available for distribution.  Deanna and Pat thanked him for the memo and advised that his information will be taken into consideration.

 

                                                Pat asked that the Committee take a brief break from the meeting to pay tribute to Dr. Hogue.  Gifts were presented to him, and they said a formal goodbye.

                                               

                                                Pat asked Dr. Hogue to express to Dr. Treadway that the Committee is available to help him in any way.


 

SCHEDULED ITEMS

 

1.                                                                 Approval of minutes from the April 7, 2003, Meeting

Approved.

 

2.                                                                 Approval of the Agenda

Agenda approved.

 

3.                                                                 Introduction to the Architectural Firm for the Student Support Services Building

(KMD)

 

Deanna introduced Judy van Soldt, Project Manager, and David Bartlett, Principal-in-Charge, representatives from KMD.  The next steps for the Student Support Services (SSS) Building were discussed.  Architectural samples were shared showing the diversity of KMD’s work and expertise in designing SSS Buildings.  David noted that many great ideas for the SSS Building were obtained at the May 21 Town Hall meeting. 

 

Judy and other team members will meet with the User Groups.  DW stated that Emily is the Bond Oversight Committee member who is charged with serving with the User Groups.  The first User Group meeting will be June 12. 

 

Judy reviewed the timeline for the SSS Building, noting that as soon as the site analysis, program verification, and feasibility study are completed, they will be able to start preliminary drawings. Emily stated that KMD appears to be very creative and sensitive to the community.  Judy invited telephone calls from the committee if they have questions.

 

4.                                                                 Review of Third Quarter Bond Financial Report

5.                                                                 Review of Measure A Executive Report and Update on Planning

 

Deanna noted that items 5 and 6 are tied in with one another and will be discussed together.  Joanne referred to a summary page of the Bond Financial Report and Don’s Bond Manager Report.  Joanne noted that the summary information was obtained from the original budget approved by the Board of Trustees, budget changes, and revised budget.  Joanne’s report contained cumulative expenses, while Don’s report included encumbrances.

 

Don noted that the two reports are similar and are part of the reconciliation process for internal audit.  Approximately 17 percent of the total bond has been authorized for expenditures, and 16 percent has been paid out for cash flow.

 

Clarification of numbers as shown in the reports was requested.  Following discussion, Dan recommended that Don and Joanne work together to reconcile their figures and bring the information back to the Committee. 

Pat reiterated that it is important to have checks and balances between the reports so that the Committee receives correct information..

 

6.                                                                 Review and Approval of 2nd Bond Oversight Committee Activities Report

 

Deanna noted, that as the Board of Trustees had requested, the Committee members are listed on the 2nd Bond Oversight Committee Activities Report, Appointment of a new student member to the Committee was discussed. 

 

Following discussion, it was agreed that an item be placed on a Board agenda requesting that the Board appoint a new student member.  Pat suggested that one student plus an alternate serve on the Committee.  She also discussed a proposal to appoint a secretary to the Committee; Deanna said she would put her request on the next Committee agenda.

 

Deanna will draft and Pat will sign a letter to Yelena Abubekerova expressing the Committee’s appreciation for her service.

 

 

7.                                                                 Review Relevant Portion of Proposition 39 Best Practices Handbook

 

Deanna referred to the two most relevant sections of Proposition 39 Handbook in which the committee had expressed an interest.  1) Committee members do not have the authority to participate in negotiations or the bid process for contractors or proposals for bond projects.  2) What information must be posted on the website.

                                                                                                           

8.                                                                 Review Bond Information Website Information

 

Deanna noted that Donna has been working with the Webmaster in setting up a web page for the bond project.  One can go to the College’s main web page and there is a link to the Bond Project on the campus’ new section on the home page. 

 

Chris and Pat will draft a website posting policy for the Bond Oversight Committee.  The Committee agreed that all documents presented for action are public documents and open for public review in the office of the Vice President, Business Services.

                                                           

9.                                                                 Suggestions for next Agenda

The Committee agreed to set the next meeting for August 4, 2003.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.