Recent Articles - Media Relations - Office of College Advancement
Some of the articles collected for the past few semesters are re-published on our website. Many of these articles were published in local newspapers or in the Ohlone College Monitor, our student-run newspaper. Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.
In addition, the Spotlight on Ohlone section of the Ohlone College website features articles about Ohlone College students, faculty and staff.
Did You Know…?
"Going to college is important for me because no one in my family has ever been to college and I want to be the first to graduate and set a great example for my younger sisters." —Ariana Figueroa, Newark Optimist Club Joe Burnett Helping Hand Scholarship Recipient; Future goal: Become a nurse.
- March Madness hits Central Park, March 11, 2014, Tri-City Voice - March Madness swings into Fremont's Central Park on Saturday and Sunday, March 15-16 as the Ohlone College Renegades host this 16-team tournament in the 22nd annual "March Madness Invitational Tournament."
- The Ohlone Promise for high school seniors, March 4, 2014, Tri-City Voice - The Ohlone Promise, a multi-year scholarship to Ohlone College, is available to high school seniors in the Tri-City area. Now in its second year, The Ohlone Promise scholarship covers the cost of tuition, books and related fees, and will be awarded to 20 local high school graduates who plan to attend Ohlone College in fall 2014.
- Ohlone College begins renovation construction, February 18, 2014, Tri-City Voice - The first of several important construction projects that will dramatically renovate Ohlone College's hillside campus in Fremont commences with the groundbreaking for the South Parking Structure which took place on February 12. Funded by the Measure G Bond, the innovative parking structure will be integrated into Ohlone College's unique sloped landscape, allowing for greater accessibility and providing convenient traversal of the campus.
- Ohlone Theatre and Dance Guild delighting audiences once again, February 4, 2014, Tri-City Voice - The performing arts of theatre and dance have a rich history dating back thousands of years. Early records of stage dramas indicate that western theatre originated in Greece in the 6th century BCE. Although hundreds of plays were performed in ancient times, only a handful of manuscripts have survived from theatre's earliest days.
- Ohlone College Biotechnology Center selected as finalist for Innovation Award, February 4, 2014, Tri-City Voice - Selected from over 100 nominations that were submitted, the Northern California Bay Area Biotechnology Center at Ohlone College is among 16 finalists for the 2nd Annual East Bay Innovation Awards.
- Ohlone College seeks applicants for Bond Oversight Committee, January 28, 2014, Tri-City Voice - The Ohlone Community College District is seeking interested individuals to serve on the Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee, with other community leaders, to oversee the implementation of the Measure G Bond program. Measure G is a $349 million bond measure, passed by voters in November 2010, which authorizes funding for needed repairs, upgrades, and construction projects primarily on Ohlone College's Fremont campus.
- Vacancies on Ohlone bond committee, January 24, 2014, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - The Ohlone College District is looking for community members interested in serving on the Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee as the at-large community member or the senior citizen group representative to oversee the implementation of the Measure G bond program.
- Ohlone College bond money replacing damaged buildings, connecting students to campus, January 23, 2014, San Jose Mercury News - This week, Ohlone College started the first of several improvement projects that will replace water-damaged buildings, lower its carbon footprint and make it easier to get around the steep hillside campus.
- East Bay Economic Development Alliance announces finalists for 2nd annual East Bay Innovation Awards, January 21, 2014, Oakland Local - Northern California Biotechnology Center at Ohlone College is one of 16 finalists for 2014.
- Yoko's Dance performs a Christmas classic, December 10, 2013, Tri-City Voice - It's Christmas Eve—a time of giving. Young Clara receives the gift of a nutcracker from her mysterious uncle, and is swept into a whole new world filled with sweets and magic. It seems all too good to be true! Is it all just a dream?
- Cap the Holidays with the Nutcracker Ballet, December 3, 2013, Tri-City Voice - It’s Christmas Eve—a time of giving. Young Clara receives the gift of a nutcracker from her mysterious uncle, and is swept into a whole new world filled with sweets and magic. It seems all too good to be true! Is it all just a dream?
- International Survivors of Suicide Day, November 19, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Suicide is the tenth leading cause of death in America. It comes before liver disease and Parkinson's disease. Ohlone College wants to shed light on the taboo topic. The college will be the host for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's 15th Annual International Survivors of Suicide Day.
- Review: Apocalyptic 'Jesus Christ Superstar' Rocks, November 13, 2013, East Bay Express - Judas (Adam Fresquez) betrays Jesus (Cliff McCormick) with a kiss.. Regardless of your religious inclinations, it certainly feels like the world could use a savior right now. Mass shootings are happening with alarming frequency; natural disasters caused by climate change are destroying cities; CEOs earn 380 times more than the average worker, and on and on. Jesus Christ Superstar, a rock opera currently in production at Ohlone College, tells a fitting tale in our current climate of destruction, political stagnation, and the most obscene wage gap the world has ever known.
- Theatre Review: Jesus Christ Superstar: an ancient story for modern times, November 12, 2013, Tri-City Voice - The year is 2033—global warming and nuclear fallout have created an environmental and economic disaster of global proportion. The governmental void has been quickly filled by the few who seek power and wealth at the expense of the many, creating an oppressive upper class minority, the zero point one percent, feeding off the weakness of the poor and powerless majority.
- Yelp Review: Jesus Christ Superstar at Ohlone College Gary Soren Smith Center, November 10, 2013, Yelp Review: Ohlone College Gary Soren Smith Center - "Jesus Christ Superstar 2033" reimagines Andrew Lloyd Webber's famous rock opera in a post-apocalyptic future pocked with nuclear fallout, dire global warming, and stifling drought. I hate musicals and expected to fall asleep in the opening act. But this show was captivating, exciting, riveting, truly brilliant.
- Post-Apocalyptic Jesus Christ Superstar, November 7, 2013, Tri-City Voice - The year is 2033—global warming and nuclear fallout have created an environmental and economic disaster of global proportion. The governmental void has been quickly filled by the few who seek power and wealth at the expense of the many, creating an oppressive upper class minority, the zero point one percent, feeding off the weakness of the poor and powerless majority.
- The return of Steamboat Bill, October 29, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Performing music from the golden age of Hollywood, with a few bells and whistles to accentuate the humor, renowned organist Jerry Nagano accompanies Buster Keaton's 1928 silent comedy "Steamboat Bill Jr." The combination of Keaton's comedian/director masterpiece and Nagano's musical score makes this silent movie a worthwhile experience.
- Ohlone College professor honored, October 29, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Rick Arellano, Professor of Computer Applications and Occupational Technology at Ohlone College, was one of five honorees who received a Latino Heritage Leadership Certificate of Recognition at Assemblymember Bob Wieckowski's 1st Annual Latino Heritage Leadership Awards Ceremony on Friday, October 11.
- Ohlone College to rebuild main campus, October 29, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College will soon see sweeping changes; a new parking structure at the Fremont campus by the summer of 2015, and replacement of many older buildings by spring, 2018.
- Institutions of Higher Learning…About Top 40 (PDF), October 24, 2013, Billboard Top 40 - The historical tendency to paint all college radio stations with the same brush—using such terms as “free form,” “alternative” and “indie”—would give short shrift to those stations using their radio facilities as a training ground for careers in top 40. Several of these stations have delivered the hits to listeners beyond just on campus—and delivered great air talent to commercial contemporary radio—for more than 30 years.
- Ohlone College professor recognized for leadership, October 24, 2013, Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - Ohlone College professor of computer applications and occupational technology, Rick Arellano, was one of five people awarded a Latino Heritage Leadership Certificate of Recognition at Assemblymember Bob Wieckowski's first Latino Heritage Leadership Awards Ceremony on Oct. 11.
- Student newspaper wins awards, October 15, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Nearly doubling last year's take of seven awards, Ohlone College's student-run newspaper, The Monitor, brought home a total of 12 awards from the Journalism Association of Community Colleges' (JACC) Northern California conference at the end of September.
- Bach, Beethoven and Mussorgsky brought to life, October 8, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Hans Boepple's debut with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra at the age of ten set the stage for a lifetime of collaboration with orchestras and conductors of international renown.
- Ohlone hosts golf tournament, October 3, 2013, Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - More than 200 golfers participated in the 29th annual Ohlone College Golf Tournament Sept. 23 at the Castlewood Country Club in Pleasanton.
- Golf Tournament fills the greens at Castlewood, October 1, 2013, Tri-City Voice - More than 200 golfers participated in the 29th Annual Ohlone College Golf Tournament Monday, September 23, 2013 at the exclusive Castlewood Country Club in Pleasanton.
- Filmmaker's documentary on offbeat world of rabbit shows airs on KQED, September 19, 2013, Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - After shooting 150 hours of footage over seven years, filmmaker Amy Do and her first movie, an offbeat documentary called "Rabbit Fever," got its day in the sun last weekend.
- Ohlone College Golf Tournament, September 17, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Enjoy breakfast and Bloody Marys before golfing on a "member's only" course, prize-packed "Hole-in-One" contests, cocktails, an awards reception, a silent auction, all supporting Ohlone College's award-winning athletic programs by attending the 29th Annual Ohlone College Golf Tournament presented by: FORM (Fremont Orthopaedic & Rehabilitative Medicine).
- Celebrate Mexico's independence with a fiesta of music and dance, September 10, 2013, Tri-City Voice - A fiesta of colorful dancing and vibrant music representing the magnificent variety that Mexican culture has to offer will transform the stage at Ohlone College as Ballet Folklorico Mexicano (BFM) presents a full mariachi band and a lively cast of twirling, spinning dancers.
- Career centers to host job fair, September 10, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Looking for full or part time work, or need a second job? Ready to move on to the next level in your career? Opportunity knocks at the Alameda County Regional Job Fair, Tuesday, September 17 at the San Leandro Library.
- Ohlone College hosts annual golf tournament at Castlewood, September 10, 2013, Tri-City Voice - Breakfast and Bloody Marys, putting contests, golfing on a "member's only" course, prize-packed "Hole-in-One" and longest drive contests, cocktails, awards reception, raffles, silent auction, and more are all part of Ohlone College's 29th Annual Golf Tournament at Castlewood Country Club.
- The 29th Annual Ohlone College Golf Tournament, September 6, 2013, Newark Patch - Enjoy breakfast and Bloody Marys before golfing on a "member's only" course, prize-packed "Hole-in-One" contests, cocktails, an awards reception, a silent auction…all supporting Ohlone College’s award-winning athletic programs by attending the 29th Annual Ohlone College Golf Tournament presented by: FORM (Fremont Orthopaedic & Rehabilitative Medicine).
Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.Skip plugin info.
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".