Recent Articles - Media Relations - Office of College Advancement
Some of the articles collected for the past few semesters are re-published on our website. Many of these articles were published in local newspapers or in the Ohlone College Monitor, our student-run newspaper. Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.
In addition, the Spotlight on Ohlone section of the Ohlone College website features articles about Ohlone College students, faculty and staff.
- Ragtime under the stars at Ohlone College, July 5, 2016 - Watching live musical theater on an outdoor stage is a great way to spend your summer nights. Ohlone College Summerfest 2016 has moved the arts out of doors so audiences can enjoy a fully staged musical with live orchestra and enjoy the warm summer air in comfortable stadium seats overlooking the San Francisco Bay.
- Communication Labs Set Students Up for Success, June 28, 2016 - The fight for recognition comes at the cost of break of dawn work sessions and midnight commutes home, but Ohlone College’s Communication Studies Department Professor Brenda Ahntholz emphasizes that it is all worth it.
- Students’ Contribution Helps Educate Impoverished Women in India, June 28, 2016 - The Ohlone College Psychology Club provided a $1,000 donation to the Animal People Alliance, a nonprofit organization that trains impoverished women in India to work as veterinary nurses.
- The Ohlone College Psychology Club Speaker Series, June 28, 2016 - Each semester the Ohlone College Psychology Club Speaker Series brings fascinating speakers to campus, each with a professional background in interesting subjects that are rooted in modern psychology.
- Ohlone Students Receive $150,000 in Scholarships, June 28, 2016 - Over $150,000 in scholarships were awarded to Ohlone students this spring by the Ohlone College Foundation.
- Last Friday Night…I Graduated!, May 24, 2016 - Friday, May 20, 2016, the Epler Gymnasium at the Ohlone College campus in Fremont was once again filled to capacity with graduates, their friends and family. The faculty who have diligently and with dedication propelled toward achieving their goals also looked on as students marched forward to receive their diplomas from Ohlone College President, Dr. Gari Browning.
- Honored Alumni Inspires and Empowers, May 24, 2016 - Mr. Isidore Niyongabo graduated from Ohlone College in 2008 with a degree in Social Science. Isidore arrived at Ohlone in 2005 as an international student and immediately joined Ohlone’s campus activities.
- International Student Honored as Ohlone College Valedictorian, May 24, 2016 - Ms. Ai Nguyen is the Ohlone College Class of 2016 Valedictorian. A native of Vietnam, Ai came to Ohlone as an international student. She was impressed with Ohlone’s transfer rate, which is one of the highest in the state’s community college system, and chose to attend Ohlone to pursue her goal of transferring to UC Berkeley to complete a bachelor’s degree in business.
- Construction Begins on Academic Core Project at Ohlone Community College, May 12, 2016, CannonDesign - Construction on Ohlone Community College’s Academic Core Project is now underway in Fremont, California. The transformative project encompasses improvements and updates across Ohlone’s Fremont campus, including the creation of three new academic buildings: a science center, music and visual arts building and a learning commons/library.
- Ohlone College hosts tai chi, qigong demos, May 5, 2016, The Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - Tai chi and qigong demonstrations highlighted Saturday's fourth annual World Tai Chi and Qigong Day held at Ohlone College Newark Center.
- Ohlone for Kids and Teens offers summer courses, May 3, 2016, Tri-City Voice - This summer, instead of playing video games, let your kids design their own video games at Ohlone for Kids and Teens. Now in its 27th year, the award-winning Ohlone for Kids and Teens summer enrichment program continues to offer a variety of classes and workshops geared to your child's interest.
- Ohlone Renegades players selected to Scholar Athlete Team, May 3, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Two Ohlone College volleyball players were selected to the 2015-2016 California Community College Women's Volleyball Coaches Association Scholar Athlete Team.
- Playwrights Festival returns to Ohlone College, April 28, 2016, The Mercury News - A showcase of original work of up and coming writers, the second annual Ohlone College Playwrights Festival is scheduled for 8 p.m. Thursday, May 5 and Friday, May 6 at the college's Smith Center, 43600 Mission Blvd. in Fremont.
- Groundbreaking: Academic Core Buildings Project, April 26, 2016 - Ohlone College held a celebratory groundbreaking for the Academic Core Project, kicking off construction activities for the three new academic buildings which are being constructed at the center of the Fremont campus on Mission Boulevard on April 13, 2016.
- Ohlone Veterans Center Helps Transition to College, April 26, 2016 - The Ohlone College Veterans Resource Center held a ribbon cutting on April 18, 2016 to open new a facility for veterans turned college students. Members of the community, representatives of Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), and campus personnel joined in the celebration.
- Returning to Her Roots Jennifer Jovel Ph.D., April 26, 2016 - Dr. Jennifer Jovel, Ohlone College Sociology Assistant Professor, was recently honored by Stanford University, her alma mater, for returning to her roots and giving back in order to further the success of other students.
- Construction begins on three new buildings at Ohlone College, April 26, 2016, The Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - Three buildings soon will rise from the center of the Ohlone College campus on Mission Boulevard in Fremont. About 150 people including college faculty and students, elected officials and other community members attended an April 13 groundbreaking for Ohlone's Academic Core Project.
- Academic Core buildings groundbreaking, April 26, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College held a celebratory groundbreaking for the Academic Core Project, kicking off construction activities for the three new academic buildings, which are being constructed at the center of the Fremont campus on Mission Boulevard, on April 13, 2016.
- Playwrights Festival showcases original work, April 26, 2016, Tri-City Voice - The "Ohlone College Playwrights Festival" is back for its second year showcasing the world premieres of dynamic, edgy, and inspiring 10-minute plays written by professional and emerging playwrights around the country.
- World Tai Chi and Qigong Day, April 26, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College's 4th celebration of the World Tai Chi and Qigong Day 2016 will be held at the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology on Saturday, April 30. The day starts at 9 a.m. with a welcome and the participatory community warm-up and popular Tai Chi and Qigong routines led by Master May Chen and the Ohlone College TCQ Competition Team and club members.
- Honoring and remembering those lost to suicide, April 5, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Join thousands of people across the country raising money to bring mental health conditions out of the darkness. The annual Ohlone College "Out of the Darkness Walk" is an opportunity for all to honor and remember those people who have been lost due to suicide.
- The Ohlone Promise - A Two Year Full Ride Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors; Ohlone Promise Scholarship Recipient Talia Basma, April 5, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Talia Basma is a second-semester Ohlone College freshman and a recipient of an Ohlone Promise Scholarship. The eldest child in the Basma household with 3 younger siblings, including 3-year-old twins, her family was struggling with the financial burden of starting Talia off on her college career.
- Ohlone College places third at table tennis national championships, March 31, 2016, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - At the National Collegiate Table Tennis Association national championships from March 25 to March 27, the Ohlone College co-ed team placed third.
- The Ohlone Promise - A Two Year Full Ride Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors; Ohlone Promise Scholarship Recipient Justine Simms, March 29, 2016, Tri-City Voice - When Justine Simms was nearing graduation from Irvington high school in Fremont she didn’t quite feel financially prepared for college. After being encouragement from school counselor, Justine checked out the Ohlone Promise Scholarship offered by Ohlone College, a school conveniently located near her home.
- Measure G Update, March 22, 2016 - The Ohlone College swimming pool refurbishment project is well underway. The pool was closed and drained in December 2015 to begin upgrading the facility.
- Ohlone Foundation Receives Substantial Gift from Don Amsbaugh, March 22, 2016 - The Ohlone College Foundation has received a substantial gift from the late Don Amsbaugh, directed towards the Ohlone College Nursing program.
- Ohlone Update: Ohlone Student Athletic Trainers at Oracle Arena, March 22, 2016 - Eleven representatives from Ohlone College's Athletic Trainer program joined 450 Northern California High School students as they descended on Oracle Arena, home of the Golden State Warriors.
- Ohlone Update: Puente Project, March 22, 2016 - In the end of February, 30 Puente students met and formed connections with professionals who work in government, education, non-profit organizations and private industries such as health care, engineering and information technology.
- Fremont: Students to compete in Ohlone College's theatre festival this weekend, March 17, 2016, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - More than 850 students from 20-plus Northern California high schools are expected to compete at the Ohlone College High School Theatre Festival Friday and Saturday, March 18 and 19.
- The Ohlone Promise - A Two Year Full Ride Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors; Ohlone Promise Scholarship Recipient Jeordan Anudon, March 15, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Jeordan Anudon is an Ohlone Promise Scholarship recipient currently finishing his third semester at Ohlone College. During his last year at Washington high school, Jeordan and his family were concerned about how they might be able to afford college considering their limited finances.
- Ohlone College and Gallaudet University partner on ASL Interpreters program, March 15, 2016, Tri-City Voice - On March 2, Ohlone College and Gallaudet University signed an agreement between the two institutions, enhancing the long standing partnership between Gallaudet and Ohlone.
- Students to compete at Ohlone College High School Theatre Festival, March 15, 2016, Tri-City Voice - For two days each spring, the Ohlone College campus is overrun with performers from high schools across the state. Virtually every open space is staked out as a rehearsal area and at any time you may encounter someone reciting Shakespeare, singing Broadway show tunes, or liberally applying stage makeup in preparation for their upcoming shot onstage.
- Ohlone College, Gallaudet University ink partnership, March 9, 2016, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - Ohlone College and Gallaudet University signed an agreement on March 2 to allow students in the two-year associate degree interpreter preparation program at Ohlone to transfer credits into Gallaudet's four-year bachelor of arts in interpretation program.
- Ohlone College advances to table tennis national championship, March 2, 2016, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - With a win at the National Collegiate Table Tennis Association West Regional during the weekend, the Ohlone College [student club table tennis] team has qualified for the national championship.
- The Ohlone Promise - A Two Year Full Ride Scholarship Program for Graduating High School Seniors; Ohlone Promise Scholarship Recipient Josue Alvarado, March 1, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Josue Alvarado, an Ohlone Promise Scholarship recipient, is currently in his last semester at Ohlone College. Josue is already looking forward to transferring to UC Davis or UCLA, a step he wouldn’t have dreamed of two years ago.
- State of the College Address, February 2, 2016, Tri-City Voice - Dr. Gari Browning delivered the Spring 2016 State of the College Address on Friday, January 22, just prior to the beginning of the semester. In her speech she highlighted some of the construction milestones achieved during the previous semester…
- 50th Anniversary, February 2, 2016 - At its January 2016 meeting the Ohlone College Board of Trustees issued a resolution that kicks off the year of planning for Ohlone‘s 50th Anniversary celebration in 2017.
- O-Chem at Ohlone College: Dr. Anu Ganguly, February 2, 2016 - “Everything I point at is organic,” Dr. Anu Ganguly says and then begins to point and name objects around the room. “My lab coat, your leather shoes, that wooden table, the paint on the wall, the countertop, the soap, your hair, and …you.”
- Is It Easy Being Green?, February 2, 2016 - Although Ohlone is not a research institution, Dr. Anu Ganguly has not stopped researching in the field of Organic Chemistry. Her latest endeavor is developing greener, safer ways to conduct the organic synthesis processes that make up the majority of her lab assignments, or “labs.”
- Ohlone bands featured in Holiday Extravaganza, December 1, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College's eighth annual "Holiday Extravaganza" on Saturday, December 5 features the Ohlone Tuba Ensemble, Ohlone Wind Orchestra, Ohlone Community Band and Mission Peak Brass Band performing holiday favorites, old and new.
- Middle School Students Study STEM Careers, December 1, 2015 - Sixty middle school students visited Ohlone College to take part in Career Exploration Week, a camp sponsored by Ohlone for Kids and Teens at Ohlone College‘s Center for Health Sciences and Technology.
- Financial Aid—Promoting Student Success, December 1, 2015 - Financial Aid at Ohlone College is much more than a place where forms are filled out and checks are distributed. The office provides individualized support to students on a case by case basis that helps them pay for and get through college, contributing substantially to their success.
- Paying for College, December 1, 2015 - “How to pay for college?” is a question that many students ask themselves as they make post high school plans or decide to increase their employability by increasing their education.
- Ohlone hosts Survivors of Suicide Loss Day Conference, November 17, 2015, Tri-City Voice - In 1972, thirty-two year old Harry Reid, then a budding Nevada politician, received the devastating news that his father died by suicide. Nearly thirty years later, in 1999, Senator Harry Reid introduced a new resolution to the U.S. Senate designating the Saturday before Thanksgiving as "National Survivors of Suicide Day."
- Ohlone College shows film on PTSD, November 17, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Fremont Vice Mayor Suzanne Chan joined Bay Area war veterans and community leaders at a special Veterans Day event Monday, November 10, when Ohlone College hosted a screening of a documentary about soldiers coping with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Ohlone College hosts military PTSD documentary screening, November 13, 2015, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - In a special Veterans Day week event Monday, Ohlone College's Smith Center hosted a free presentation of the film "That Which I Love Destroys Me," a documentary about military post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.
- Theatre Review: Ohlone's 'Cuckoo' a captivating night of theatre, November 10, 2015, Tri-City Voice - The Combine is always at work on people. It beats them down, makes them little, forces them into submission. This is the lament of Chief Bromden, a patient in a mental institution helmed by the cool, iron grip of Nurse Ratched. Life is running according to "good for you" policies and group therapy sessions when the flamboyant and defiant Randle Patrick McMurphy arrives.
- Concert pianist Tao Lin lights up the stage, November 3, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Internationally recognized for his "keen musical intelligence and excellent facility," (Miami Herald) Tao Lin, a native of Shanghai, opens the 2015-2016 Season of the Arts at Ohlone College, presenting great piano works by Brahms, Chopin, and Liszt.
- Ohlone presents "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", November 3, 2015, Tri-City Voice - With a cast and crew of more than 50 students, the Ohlone College Department of Theatre and Dance presents the acclaimed play, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." The play, set in a mental hospital for convicted criminals, explores the issues of individual identity and freedom.
- Tri-Cities One-Stop Center: Focus on Career Readiness, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - One year ago Amazon.com opened a Sort Center in Newark…a sort of way station for package delivery. They needed to fill their employee ranks quickly in order to open and begin shipping before the holidays, so they approached the Tri-Cities One-Stop Career Center to help them in hiring.
- Tri-Cities One-Stop Career Expo - More than 50 Employers to Attend!, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - This Friday, October 30, the One-Stop Center is holding a Career Expo, which is free and open to the public.
- Those Who Can Do, Teach!, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone’s experienced professors have been part of the entertainment industry and worked with big name events, shows and performers. These connections allow the faculty to network with professionals working in the field.
- Entertainment Design & Technology at Ohlone, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - With the continual growth of the entertainment industry, there is a rapidly increasing demand for backstage technicians and artists with a high level of proficiency in high technology equipment that controls the lighting, audio and special effects of a production.
- Where They Are Now, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College has been the springboard for many education and industry professionals who started their careers in entertainment at Ohlone. Here is a small sampling.
- James "The Amazing" Randi, October 13, 2015, Tri-City Voice - James "The Amazing" Randi, a retired profession magician, an author, lecturer, and tireless investigator of spurious and extraordinary claims, returns to the Smith Center stage for the Ohlone College Psychology Club Speaker Series…
- Upcoming concerts at Ohlone College, September 29, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Information about upcoming concerts by Ohlone College bands.
- Ohlone College Parking Structure now open, September 15, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Officials and student representatives gathered at the newly completed Ohlone College Parking Structure on September 9th for a ribbon cutting ceremony and to acknowledge progress on the massive project, capitalized by Measure G funds, to modernize the Fremont campus.
- Ohlone Student is Changing the Face of Engineering, August 25, 2015 - Ruchi Upadhyay, an electrical engineering major at Ohlone College, has a taste for competition. …And she likes to win. She has participated in local engineering competitions ever since high school and has been highly successful.
- Ohlone‘s Welcome Day Introduces New Students to College, August 25, 2015 - Start the semester on the right track! New students can attend Welcome Day this Thursday, August 27, to prepare for the coming semester. The one-day event, held each year prior to fall semester, helps students get ready for college life, make new friends, and builds a path for them to have a successful experience in college.
- Ohlone College Building Project Receives Excellence in Planning Award, August 25, 2015 - Ohlone College‘s Academic Core Construction Project received an Honor Award for Excellence in Planning from the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP). The recognition is based on thoughtful strategic planning by the design team and college personnel, based on a thorough review of the needs of the Ohlone College.
- Paramnesia photo series explores visual illusion, August 25, 2015, Tri-City Voice - The Louie-Meager Art Gallery at Ohlone College presents the photo series, "Paramnesia" by artist and Ohlone College photography instructor Naomi Vanderkindren.
- Ohlone College names head women's basketball coach, August 19, 2015, San Jose Mercury News - Most recently the girl's basketball coach at Sequoia High School in Redwood City, Steve Picchi has been named head coach of the women's basketball program at Ohlone College.
- Ohlone College names head women's basketball coach, August 18, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College's Athletics Department has announced that Steve Picchi will join the College as head coach of the women's basketball program. Faculty members in Ohlone's Athletics Department are thrilled to add another permanent coach to the Renegades staff.
- Broadcasters Laud Bonded-Cell Advantages, August 3, 2015, TVTechnology - … The biggest appeal of bonded-cell technology is the low-cost reach it provides to ENG crews. “With our Comrex units, which connect via 4G to Verizon, we can do live news shoots all over San Francisco,” said Arnie Loleng, operations manager for Ohlone TV, a closed circuit/streaming TV channel operated by Fremont, Calif.-based Ohlone College‘s broadcasting faculty. “As a community college on a budget, we can‘t afford to use microwave or satellite trucks to train our students on ENG work. Bonded-cell lets us provide students with this invaluable training.”
- Case study: College uses ultra-low-flow water systems, July 21, 2015, Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine - Toward the end of 2012, CannonDesign was hired to design three new buildings on an aging California community college campus. Ohlone Community College, nestled on the side of a very large hill in Fremont, Calif., had just begun what would be a lengthy and extensive remodel of the campus.
- Ohlone College Ranked #7 in Two-year Schools, July 2015, BestColleges.com - With more than 450 higher education institutions in California, choosing the best school for your needs can be overwhelming; not only do you need to decide on whether to attend a two-year or four-year college, you also have to mine through an extensive amount of government data to find the schools offering the best experience.
Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.