Recent Articles - Media Relations - Office of College Advancement
Some of the articles collected for the past few semesters are re-published on our website. Many of these articles were published in local newspapers or in the Ohlone College Monitor, our student-run newspaper. Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.
In addition, the Spotlight on Ohlone section of the Ohlone College website features articles about Ohlone College students, faculty and staff.
- State of the College Address, February 2, 2016 - Dr. Gari Browning delivered the Spring 2016 State of the College Address on Friday, January 22, just prior to the beginning of the semester.
- 50th Anniversary, February 2, 2016 - At its January 2016 meeting the Ohlone College Board of Trustees issued a resolution that kicks off the year of planning for Ohlone‘s 50th Anniversary celebration in 2017.
- O-Chem at Ohlone College: Dr. Anu Ganguly, February 2, 2016 - “Everything I point at is organic,” Dr. Anu Ganguly says and then begins to point and name objects around the room. “My lab coat, your leather shoes, that wooden table, the paint on the wall, the countertop, the soap, your hair, and …you.”
- Is It Easy Being Green?, February 2, 2016 - Although Ohlone is not a research institution, Dr. Anu Ganguly has not stopped researching in the field of Organic Chemistry. Her latest endeavor is developing greener, safer ways to conduct the organic synthesis processes that make up the majority of her lab assignments, or “labs.”
- Ohlone bands featured in Holiday Extravaganza, December 1, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College's eighth annual "Holiday Extravaganza" on Saturday, December 5 features the Ohlone Tuba Ensemble, Ohlone Wind Orchestra, Ohlone Community Band and Mission Peak Brass Band performing holiday favorites, old and new.
- Middle School Students Study STEM Careers, December 1, 2015 - Sixty middle school students visited Ohlone College to take part in Career Exploration Week, a camp sponsored by Ohlone for Kids and Teens at Ohlone College‘s Center for Health Sciences and Technology.
- Financial Aid—Promoting Student Success, December 1, 2015 - Financial Aid at Ohlone College is much more than a place where forms are filled out and checks are distributed. The office provides individualized support to students on a case by case basis that helps them pay for and get through college, contributing substantially to their success.
- Paying for College, December 1, 2015 - “How to pay for college?” is a question that many students ask themselves as they make post high school plans or decide to increase their employability by increasing their education.
- Ohlone hosts Survivors of Suicide Loss Day Conference, November 17, 2015, Tri-City Voice - In 1972, thirty-two year old Harry Reid, then a budding Nevada politician, received the devastating news that his father died by suicide. Nearly thirty years later, in 1999, Senator Harry Reid introduced a new resolution to the U.S. Senate designating the Saturday before Thanksgiving as "National Survivors of Suicide Day."
- Ohlone College shows film on PTSD, November 17, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Fremont Vice Mayor Suzanne Chan joined Bay Area war veterans and community leaders at a special Veterans Day event Monday, November 10, when Ohlone College hosted a screening of a documentary about soldiers coping with post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Ohlone College hosts military PTSD documentary screening, November 13, 2015, San Jose Mercury News: Fremont Bulletin - In a special Veterans Day week event Monday, Ohlone College's Smith Center hosted a free presentation of the film "That Which I Love Destroys Me," a documentary about military post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.
- Theatre Review: Ohlone's 'Cuckoo' a captivating night of theatre, November 10, 2015, Tri-City Voice - The Combine is always at work on people. It beats them down, makes them little, forces them into submission. This is the lament of Chief Bromden, a patient in a mental institution helmed by the cool, iron grip of Nurse Ratched. Life is running according to "good for you" policies and group therapy sessions when the flamboyant and defiant Randle Patrick McMurphy arrives.
- Concert pianist Tao Lin lights up the stage, November 3, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Internationally recognized for his "keen musical intelligence and excellent facility," (Miami Herald) Tao Lin, a native of Shanghai, opens the 2015-2016 Season of the Arts at Ohlone College, presenting great piano works by Brahms, Chopin, and Liszt.
- Ohlone presents "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", November 3, 2015, Tri-City Voice - With a cast and crew of more than 50 students, the Ohlone College Department of Theatre and Dance presents the acclaimed play, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." The play, set in a mental hospital for convicted criminals, explores the issues of individual identity and freedom.
- Tri-Cities One-Stop Center: Focus on Career Readiness, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - One year ago Amazon.com opened a Sort Center in Newark…a sort of way station for package delivery. They needed to fill their employee ranks quickly in order to open and begin shipping before the holidays, so they approached the Tri-Cities One-Stop Career Center to help them in hiring.
- Tri-Cities One-Stop Career Expo - More than 50 Employers to Attend!, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - This Friday, October 30, the One-Stop Center is holding a Career Expo, which is free and open to the public.
- Those Who Can Do, Teach!, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone’s experienced professors have been part of the entertainment industry and worked with big name events, shows and performers. These connections allow the faculty to network with professionals working in the field.
- Entertainment Design & Technology at Ohlone, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - With the continual growth of the entertainment industry, there is a rapidly increasing demand for backstage technicians and artists with a high level of proficiency in high technology equipment that controls the lighting, audio and special effects of a production.
- Where They Are Now, October 27, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College has been the springboard for many education and industry professionals who started their careers in entertainment at Ohlone. Here is a small sampling.
- James "The Amazing" Randi, October 13, 2015, Tri-City Voice - James "The Amazing" Randi, a retired profession magician, an author, lecturer, and tireless investigator of spurious and extraordinary claims, returns to the Smith Center stage for the Ohlone College Psychology Club Speaker Series…
- Upcoming concerts at Ohlone College, September 29, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Information about upcoming concerts by Ohlone College bands.
- Ohlone College Parking Structure now open, September 15, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Officials and student representatives gathered at the newly completed Ohlone College Parking Structure on September 9th for a ribbon cutting ceremony and to acknowledge progress on the massive project, capitalized by Measure G funds, to modernize the Fremont campus.
- Ohlone Student is Changing the Face of Engineering, August 25, 2015 - Ruchi Upadhyay, an electrical engineering major at Ohlone College, has a taste for competition. …And she likes to win. She has participated in local engineering competitions ever since high school and has been highly successful.
- Ohlone‘s Welcome Day Introduces New Students to College, August 25, 2015 - Start the semester on the right track! New students can attend Welcome Day this Thursday, August 27, to prepare for the coming semester. The one-day event, held each year prior to fall semester, helps students get ready for college life, make new friends, and builds a path for them to have a successful experience in college.
- Ohlone College Building Project Receives Excellence in Planning Award, August 25, 2015 - Ohlone College‘s Academic Core Construction Project received an Honor Award for Excellence in Planning from the Society for College and University Planning (SCUP). The recognition is based on thoughtful strategic planning by the design team and college personnel, based on a thorough review of the needs of the Ohlone College.
- Paramnesia photo series explores visual illusion, August 25, 2015, Tri-City Voice - The Louie-Meager Art Gallery at Ohlone College presents the photo series, "Paramnesia" by artist and Ohlone College photography instructor Naomi Vanderkindren.
- Ohlone College names head women's basketball coach, August 19, 2015, San Jose Mercury News - Most recently the girl's basketball coach at Sequoia High School in Redwood City, Steve Picchi has been named head coach of the women's basketball program at Ohlone College.
- Ohlone College names head women's basketball coach, August 18, 2015, Tri-City Voice - Ohlone College's Athletics Department has announced that Steve Picchi will join the College as head coach of the women's basketball program. Faculty members in Ohlone's Athletics Department are thrilled to add another permanent coach to the Renegades staff.
- Broadcasters Laud Bonded-Cell Advantages, August 3, 2015, TVTechnology - … The biggest appeal of bonded-cell technology is the low-cost reach it provides to ENG crews. “With our Comrex units, which connect via 4G to Verizon, we can do live news shoots all over San Francisco,” said Arnie Loleng, operations manager for Ohlone TV, a closed circuit/streaming TV channel operated by Fremont, Calif.-based Ohlone College‘s broadcasting faculty. “As a community college on a budget, we can‘t afford to use microwave or satellite trucks to train our students on ENG work. Bonded-cell lets us provide students with this invaluable training.”
- Case study: College uses ultra-low-flow water systems, July 21, 2015, Consulting-Specifying Engineer magazine - Toward the end of 2012, CannonDesign was hired to design three new buildings on an aging California community college campus. Ohlone Community College, nestled on the side of a very large hill in Fremont, Calif., had just begun what would be a lengthy and extensive remodel of the campus.
- Ohlone College Ranked #7 in Two-year Schools, July 2015, BestColleges.com - With more than 450 higher education institutions in California, choosing the best school for your needs can be overwhelming; not only do you need to decide on whether to attend a two-year or four-year college, you also have to mine through an extensive amount of government data to find the schools offering the best experience.
Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.