Recent Articles - Media Relations - Office of College Advancement
Some of the articles collected for the past few semesters are re-published on our website. Many of these articles were published in local newspapers. Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.
- Ohlone College seeks to lease frontage property for development, January 13, 2017 - Ohlone College has launched another effort to lease 15 acres of surplus property along Mission Boulevard in front of its Fremont campus to a developer.
- Ohlone College considers arming its police officers, December 16, 2016 - The Ohlone College community is again debating the possibility of arming police officers on its Fremont and Newark campuses. In 2005, when the issue was last broached, then-Ohlone President Doug Treadway decided to stick with the campus policy of not giving guns to officers.
- Fremont: Ohlone College is steadily taking on a new look, December 8, 2016 - Ohlone College’s Fremont campus has been undergoing a transformation designed to provide a more modern and supportive learning environment for students when fully completed.
- Eco-friendly soccer field opens at Ohlone, December 6, 2016 - Goal! The ball is in play at Ohlone College where the new professional standard, eco-friendly soccer field is now open.
- Preventing the preventable through community outreach, November 15, 2016 - Every year in our country we lose what amounts to a small town through the affliction of suicide. More people are lost to suicide than to car crashes or firearm violence, and researchers continue to study the phenomenon, while those in the fields of psychology and health care attempt to find solutions to this ongoing problem.
- End of the world, world premiere takes Ohlone center stage, November 8, 2016 - What would you do if you knew the world was ending at midnight? Thats the question at the crux of local Bay Area playwright, Jeffrey Lo's Spending the End of the World on OkCupid. With the Ohlone College Theatre and Dance Department's world premiere of Lo's specially commissioned play, that question was viscerally debuted to a nearly full-house at Smith Center.
- World premiere takes Ohlone stage, November 1, 2016 - It's a question that has come up in numerous late night discussions and party games, considered with both humor and seriousness: what would you do if the world was ending?
- World-renowned concert pianist performs at Ohlone College, October 25, 2016 - Aileen Chanco, internationally acclaimed concert pianist, returns to the Smith Center to perform music from Beethoven, Ravel, and an unforgettable interpretation of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition."
- The Scientific Method: Discovering Fun at Ohlone’s Night of Science, October 25, 2016 - A true community extravaganza, Ohlone College’s Night of Science was wall to wall with excited, curious families! The free event was held Oct. 15th at the Ohlone College Newark campus.
- Latina/Latino heritage shines brighter than ever, October 25, 2016 - At Ohlone College, various events have celebrated the colorful and diverse Latina/Latino culture. Dr. Jennifer Jovel, Sociology Professor was inspired by her experiences as a Latina student at Ohlone and organized events that would help Latina/o students understand their educational experience and possibilities for their future.
- Ohlone College 50 Year Anniversary—back to the beginning…, October 25, 2016 - For the past 50 years Ohlone has been in the business of transforming lives. This includes not only the lives of students, but also the lives of faculty and staff. These lives are the legacy of Ohlone College. Although an institution’s history is important, its human legacy is more so.
- IPC Celebrates 5th Annual Manufacturing Day, October 7, 2016 - IPC is proud to celebrate today’s 5th annual Manufacturing Day, alongside a group of industry sponsors and co-producers. On this day, manufacturers around the country are joining in a unified effort to highlight current innovations in the electronics industry and inspire the next generation of manufacturing professionals.
- Student Success Scorecard—A Measure of Success, September 27, 2016 - Remember bringing home your report card and getting a reward for good grades? Ohlone College just got its report card—the 2016 Student Success Scorecard—from the state Chancellor’s Office, and we don’t want to brag, but we got terrific grades!
- How Ohlone College Got Its Name, September 27, 2016 - In 1965, an election was held in the Fremont/Newark area to form a local community college and a board of trustees. The first board meeting was held in January 1966 and during that year the board hired a new president, Dr. Stephen Epler, who then hired the faculty.
- Family Fun at 2016 Night of Science & More, September 27, 2016 - Prepare to explore science in all its dimensions at Ohlone College’s 2nd Annual Night of Science & More. This free family-oriented event will open a window into the world of science and its many interesting aspects, leading young minds to follow education pathways and fast growing career opportunities.
- Opportunity Knocks at Tri-Cities Career Fair, September 20, 2016 - Opportunity is knocking at the Fall 2016 Tri-Cities Career Fair, sponsored by the Ohlone College Foundation/Tri-Cities One-Stop! Join us Friday, September 30 at the Ohlone College Newark Center for this free event.
- Ohlone College Swimming Pool Opens with a Splash!, August 30, 2016 - Filled with sparkling blue water, the new Ohlone swimming pool is an impressive sight. But there’smore to this pool than just a pretty face. The Ohlone College swimming pool, which had its grand reopening on August 10, has emerged as smarter, more efficient and healthier than ever before.
- Approaching the half century mark!, August 30, 2016 - Fall 1967 several hundred college students marched onto the Ohlone College campus at its former location on Washington Boulevard in Fremont for the first day of the first semester of the first year of Ohlone College. In “year one” the number of students reached 1,300!
Earlier articles are available in our Articles Archive.