Article - Office of College Advancement
Summer nights under the stars at Ohlone College
By Gosia Asher.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012—Reprinted from Tri-City Voice.
Enjoy entertainment under the stars all summer long, starting with a live music event in the Ohlone College outdoor amphitheatre. "Rockin' the Hill" kick starts the Summerfest season with six hot young bands from local clubs. The latest musical trends are developing in the clubs - YouTube rates the growing acceptance of club music as one of the top trends in music last year. Ohlone brings a mix of indie, alternative, rock, country and jazz together to heat up your night.
The shows kicked off Friday and Saturday June 22-23 and featured Cosmic Machine, Monica Ramos, Von von Lindenberg, Lisa Marie Johnston, Katie and the Horndogs, and Erica Benton. For additional information about the performers, go to smithcenter.com.
Live performances continue on June 29 - 30 with "Broadway Mashup: Putting It All Together," as a group of talented dancers and singers showcase the ultimate Broadway entertainment package. This talented ensemble of entertainers will perform your favorite Broadway numbers from musicals including: "A Chorus Line," "Sunday in the Park with George," "West Side Story," "Wicked," and a contemporary Broadway twist on the classic "Wizard of Oz."
Enjoy movie musicals in July and August, all in sing-along format, featuring "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Sound of Music" and childhood favorites like "The Lion King" and "The Muppets." And for faithful grown-up fans: Do the Time Warp again with "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (rated R). And catch a live production of "Legally Blond" presented by StarStruck Theatre.
Summerfest 2012 Calendar:
- Rockin' The Hill: Friday and Saturday, June 22-23, 8:30 p.m. (Live)
- Broadway Mashup: Putting It Together: Friday and Saturday June 29-30, 8:30 p.m. (Live)
- Singin' in the Rain: Friday, July 6, 8:30 p.m. (Sing-along Movie)
- The Lion King: Friday, July 13, 8:30 p.m. (Sing-along Movie)
- The Muppets: Friday, July 20, 8:30 p.m. (Sing-along Movie)
- StarStruck Theatre Presents: Legally Blonde The Musical: July 27-28, August 2-4, 9-11, Jackson Theatre (Live)
- The Sound of Music: Friday, August 24, 8:30 p.m. (Sing-along Movie)
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show (rated R): Friday, August 31, 8:30 p.m. (Interactive Sing-Along)
All shows are at the Smith Center Amphitheatre at Ohlone College, 43600 Mission Boulevard in Fremont. "Rockin' the Hill" and "Broadway Mashup" are $12 for premium tickets and $10 general; movie musicals are $5 general. Event parking is $2 with permits available online. For tickets or more information visit www.smithcenter.com or call the Box Office at (510) 659-6031.