OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Video Conference Room / Fremont Campus
43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539
Minutes of College Council
January 13, 2005 ADOPTED (as amended)
MEMBERS PRESENT: Dennis Keller Doug Treadway
Kathleen Johnson Patrick Lane
Connie Teshara (10:15) Richard Grotegut
Wayne Takakuwa Brian Malzkuhn (for Tom Holcomb)
Saad Siddiqui Linda Evers
Debbie Tucker Ban-Jin Tan (10:30)
Susan Myers Elizabeth Silva
MEMBERS ABSENT: Additional staff rep needed
Additional student rep needed
Myers asked that the spelling of her last name be corrected throughout the
minutes. Motion to approve minutes then
moved and seconded. 12/3/04 minutes
· Dr. Treadway presented “draft” of Administration reorganization (see attachments)
· New administrative organization would provide $300-400K savings to Fund 10 (net), and a 10-15% reduction in management.
· Council concerns expressed included:
ü Increased workload on already full schedules for some Administrators
ü Clarification of reporting stream (especially Student Services)
ü Perception Student Services might become “second class citizens”
ü Question regarding the Student Technology Center and where it will fall in the reorganization plan
· Audience comments included:
ü Barbara Tull role of LCI and Faculty. Senate role in faculty/staff/curriculum development
ü Jim Wright commented on 15 week semester. More Flex days to implement new structure
· Council Recommendation: Would like to see reorganization proposal again after more input is available for review.
· Board of Trustees approved spending $390,000 to purchase conservation land bank acreage to passively relocate (mitigate) burrowing owls found on Newark campus. Agreement reached with input from Department of Fish & Game.
· Dr. Treadway advised everyone to interpret the Governor’s proposal carefully. Not really a 7% increase after the required “take-backs” in other areas. In reality, increase may be closer to 4%.
· Dr. Treadway mentioned that Ohlone needs to “cast a broader net” regarding advertising to increase enrollment. We need to continue to look for outside sources of funding for the College.
· Comment on low attendance at Forums (poor scheduling during finals or apathy?).
Seek more input from constituencies via survey or other methods and
report back to Council.
· Richard Grotegut reported that we can update our server with free upgrade software available (Outlook)
this point all IS personnel are busy and the department is short-staffed. They plan
to get to this project over Spring break.
· January 21 (10:00 a.m.– noon / Video Conference Room)
o Budget Workshop
· January 28
o Re-organization revisited
o Task Force Budget requests
· Un-calendared topics for future meetings
o 15 week semester study
o Develop future Task Force budget request process
o ‘05/’06 Budget process
o Arming Security
o College Council By-Laws
o Newark Center site package
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 11:35 a.m.