OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Video Conference Room /
Minutes of College Council
September 23, 2005 ADOPTED
MEMBERS PRESENT: Deanna Walston Dennis Keller
Walt Birkedahl Kathleen Johnson
Richard Grotegut Wayne Takakuwa
Barbara Tull (new faculty member) Ron Travenick (for Debbie Trigg)
Jim Wright Cheryl Lambert
MEMBERS ABSENT: Doug Treadway
Motion: Moved/Johnson; Second/Takakuwa;
Passed to approve the
· Electronic copies of the 2005 – 1010 Strategic Plan and Chapters 4 – 7 of Board Policy were distributed prior to the meeting for a first reading. Feedback regarding the Strategic plan should be forwarded to Doug Treadway and feedback regarding Board Policy should be directed to Diana Garza, Board of Trustees Support/Coordinator.
· Dr. Josephine Ong-Hawkins, Executive Director of the Ohlone College Foundation, distributed a handout and summarized Foundation events and activities.
· Faculty Senate are voting on the proposed compressed calendar options until next Friday (9/30). Ballots out to all faculty members
· Would a College Council recommendation regarding academic calendar be helpful? Yes.
· Confirmed with the Chancellor's office that a 16 week calendar would pass easily (vs a 15 week calendar).
· Schedule on the 1/4 hour? Being considered.
· For this vote, detail not being solicited. Implementation plan will be detailed later.
· Suggestion made that Council should have an opportunity to look at this topic thoroughly before making a recommendation.
· Classified staff may have questions regarding intersessions, specifically. Faculty vote did not take intersessions into consideration.
· Faculty decision has to be in collaboration with district and negotiations with unions.
· Complex set-up will be required in DataTel. The faster this calendar decision is made, the more likely that this can be implemented in 2006. San Jose-Evergreen took two years to implement.
· Motion: Moved/Silva; Second/Johnson; Passed to support the concept of a compressed academic calendar.
Forces / Committees Update
· Ready for committee membership appointments for the academic year. E-mail Sarah Zentner with task force or committee membership lists or changes.
· Task forces are operating in different ways. The Facilities & Environment task force is still evolving, for example.
· Task force co-chairs will present to the Council throughout the year (once in Fall and once in Spring).
Strategic Plan / 10 Year Study
· Council needs to be proactive on this topic. What does Ohlone really want to be in 10 years and how do we get there? Compare 10 years ago, to now, to 10 years in the future.
of what size college we want to be 10 years from now. How to evaluate and anticipate future
funding, structure, etc.
· What is the market going to be and is it realistic to consider supporting 10K FTES?
· Increase in on-line courses which is growing demand, shifting the way students want to go to school.
· Criteria to react to change. Consider regional issues, new funding models being proposed for community colleges and implications which may be a driving factor. Overhead costs as a one college campus vs multi-college. Efficiencies possible.
· Demographics in decline, looking forward. Consider projections and control our destiny.
for submitting proposals was September 9.
Five proposals received (Dutra,
· All developers proposed south land, Parcel C, for sale (not lease). Will seek Council support and recommendation to present to Board. Board voting: Weed cannot vote, need to have five Board member votes for proposals to pass.
· Council will be asked to support via vote and to attend Board meetings to encourage advancing the process. The committee meets on Wednesday, interviews are held on October 4 with all master developers, and then the committee will narrow the field and interview in more detail later.
· Jim will provide RFP update at the next Council meeting (Deanna will be absent).
· WASC accreditation update re: mid-term report. Progress report due 10/15. Jim will post a draft and is requesting review and feedback. Trying to demonstrate how budget decisions support Ohlone college goals.
· Cheryl Lambert question: Given the recent hurricanes, food and gas prices would the college consider 4/10s, telecommuting? Would have to be negotiated.
· Deanna Walston: Student Services building schematic designs previously proposed to bring to Council on 10/14, but will need to be scheduled on 10/28 instead. Asking for support from Council to take to the Board.
· Elizabeth Silva: College relations informational table at Newark Days celebration this weekend. Asking for volunteers to represent college. People/pride/progress tent next to community center.
· Note: November 11 is a holiday. Meeting scheduled for November 18 (but no co-chairs available). Need to discuss at next meeting.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at