OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Video Conference Room / Fremont Campus
43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA94539
May 12, 2006 ADOPTED
PRESENT: Doug Treadway Dennis Keller
Johnson Barbara Tull
Wayne Takakuwa Claire Ellis (for Tom Holcomb this semester)
Birkedahl Marge Segraves
(for Richard Grotegut)
Heta Desai Linda
Gweneth Murphy (for Jimmy Dempsey)
MEMBERS ABSENT: Elizabeth Silva
- Approval of Council Minutes (04/28/06)
Motion: Moved/Tull; Second/Takakuwa; Passedto approve the April 28, 2006 College
Council minutes, as amended (correction to College Council retreat times / changed
from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 – 1:00 p.m.).
- TBP Architects’ Presentation
Gary Frye of TBP Architects presented a “color
boards” review of the proposed Student Services
Building and proposed Fremont
campus exterior color scheme. Key points
of his presentation included:
engineering will go to the Board July 12 then to “DSA”.
could be under construction the first part of 2007. Floorplan the
same as has been reviewed by Council in the past. A couple issues with only minor changes.
track and on schedule.
Campus Exterior Color: Tasked to
come up with color schemes for exterior of buildings. Unifying concept with colors that will
bring all of the buildings of the campus together. Color combinations unify older and newer
buildings. Added a little color for
boards reviewed and color chips presented.
Proposing the base color as a canvas along waterway to introduce
graphics (Ohlone Indians, world cultures, whatever is deemed appropriate). Graphics won't be part of initial work,
but done later after input from campus/community. Poster boards representing example of
concept. Will help with
orientation. Also, banners and
signage to assist with building identification (number/name).
- Comment: Capital campaign underway for naming of
buildings which will need to be coordinated with signage project. Also considering opening some of the
walls on campus (not currently proposed, but future planning at this
project underway. Going out to bid
in the next few weeks and project will begin this summer.
- Swallows? Dept of Fish & Game will not allow
work during nesting period (Feb - Sept).
a mock-up, sand and water blasting in the next few weeks, prior to
contract being awarded. Will give
us a sense and feel of what will take place re noise, dust. Bldg. 9 is recommended building for
test. Contractors will also have
sense and feel of difficulty so we'll get accurate bids.
will be phased: 1, 8, 9 in first
package. Bldg 9 does not have swallows.
Suggestion that Bldg 2 be included in first phase. With budget we have, cannot complete on
all buildings. Being prioritized
and can be modified (1, 2, 9).
Discussion regarding selection of first buildings. Trying to "package" buildings
to fit within budget.
not significantly different from what we have now, which is a benefit with
regard to this scheme. Will
certainly look cleaner, fresher, but not the kind of contrast you'd see
with a red or a blue, for example.
Estimated 60 working days to complete one building.
question: We thought we could do the whole building with $5 million, but
it's now more than that due to stucco damage. Is there some other priority that could
be set aside so we could do the whole campus? We need a Facilities Committee to be
addressing these important topics.
of campus as a whole, feeling of community. Buildings clustered, tile roofs... Maybe
if we can't paint all of the buildings, at least pressure wash the others
for now. President's guidance is to
do the entire campus. You don't
paint half of a house, and what would it cost five years from now. A lot of stucco work needs to be done
(removed & replaced). Also some
wall repair and wood repair that need to be done first, then colorant
goal related to facilities and activation of facilities committee. When Newark and Student
occupied, also need to attend to vacated spaces. Need focused, intentional planning
coming in in 3-4 weeks. Bids will be for all of the buildings,
but we'll structure the phasing.
case, work will start in late June, early July. Dennis asking for 8, 1, 2 to be done
first, during summer.
Response: With repairs, timing
not that quick.
Center being repainted? Not as part of this package. Later.
- Comment: Summer school: June 19 - end of
July. Not in session on Fridays. No classes on Fri/Sat/Sun and most of
the month of August no classes. Response: Working on Saturdays is time and 1/2,
working on Sundays is double time.
Expensive and time consuming proposal.
has made request to State for additional $11M for additional sub-surface
problems on campus. Could have
approval by end of 2006/early 2007.
requested: Color? Colors have been
approved by ASOC. Consensus
- Motion: Moved/Evers; Second/Tull; Passed to approve color palate as
- Motion: Moved/Tull;
Second/Birkedahl; Passed to
recommend Buildings 1, 2, and 8 as initial phase of work, and to add
Building 9 if funding allows.
needed to communicate process; next 4-5 years will be a construction
zone. $200M worth of work is going
to be going on; we need proactive, conscious effort to help with
scheduling, with sensitivity, but need to accept and manage process. Accept that there will be inconvenience
-- but also excitement. Campaign to
get ahead of the curve: "Pardon our Dust". We want these projects to be done, and
as soon as possible.
- Community Service Task Force Update
agenda item rescheduled to June 14 meeting.
- Goal 8 Update
Goal 8 statement distributed. First
reading, will come back to Council retreat for approval. Send suggestions to Dennis Keller prior
to retreat. New language more
distinct from Goal 6. Okay to send
to Board for first reading.
- Motion: Moved/Evers; Second/Johnson;
Passed to approve sending draft Goal 8 language to Board for first
- Campus Security Update
PD Proposal for Ohlone College District Public Safety Department Study
replacing any district personnel with city personnel. Administration chosing
not to fill position of police chief for one year period, during which a
study would be conducted. Proposal
to place officer here to conduct a joint study. Existing personnel would perform
supervisory duties. Because of
budget and hiring cycles, findings would have to come forward by early
Spring next year. Preliminary
findings would be made in Jan/Feb ‘07.
Met with SEIU to discuss that this proposal does not involve
current personne – current personnel would be
part of advisory committee working with Fremont PD to conduct study. Possible bargaining impacts once the study
to use Bldg 20 as Fremont PD sub-station, providing loop and good working
relationship with Fremont PD. Nice
to see physical presence on campus as deterrent. Important for students to have
interactions with campus security.
students, particularly at night, don't feel safe. May need to look at how we open/lock
facilities, so that staff is more available when students are here.
- Clarification: Staffing number is incorrect in memo/proposal. One vacancy currently, but not sure if
that position will be replaced.
Currently down two positions (chief and one security position).
concerned about the presence of armed officers, especially given the
consensus was 2:1 against having guns on campus. Is this officer going to leave his
weapon at home? Reply: Fremont
PD have to have their weapons or they would not work here. As police officer, they have to be able
to respond as a police officer.
- Patrol? We are in Zone 3 of their zones. We are in the Fremont PD
jurisdiction. We think it's a
deterrent to be more visible on campus.
Ancillary to study. Trying
to send message that PD are around here from time to time.
- As a
reminder, this item is information item only. In meeting with Chief Steckler, realization that we need training and updating
re: emergency preparedness. They
will bring in resources from Fremont Fire Dept to address our emergency
readiness. Another aspect to
of information: Chabot uses Hayward
- Question: What happens with this document
next? Board would approve any
agreement we make with Fremont PD. Board
has sub-committee to study proposal.
topic on Board agenda on May 24 for direction, not agreement. Back to Council for vote before it goes
to Board for vote.
would presence of Fremont PD impact previous agreement we have?
comments: All high schools have
Fremont PD, improved security environment.
This is a test of if we are fully prepared to handle any
situation. We only consider this in
abstract, and this is more of a reality test of actual experience. Current staff will interview whomever is
selected. Arguing that we be more
open minded, in the spirit of benefit to campus. Concept of study, concerns well based
regarding armed officers of any kind, but we should still consider.
work is preventive -- campus community effort.
of the Board will report to the Board and we'll ask for a recommendation
from the Council at the retreat.
Process last year was related to arming campus security
officers. We cannot take arms away
from Fremont PD. This is not in
opposition to previous survey.
1) We want to send a message that
we have partnership with police dept.
2) Reluctant to keep same model
of hiring another chief
3) Worried about response time
4) Don't need to make fast
decision. Want to pursue in orderly manner.
Every safety officer goes through
post-accredited training. Have
- Question: What if collaborative agreement cannot
be reached. Will there be equal
input? If campus security does not
agree with Fremont PD recommendations, how will it be handled. Reply:
Would try to reach consensus.
Intention to reach consensus on all points. Some aspects might have differing
opinions. findings will go through
shared governance, if shared governance matters. Personnel, programs would be included.
- Comment: Between 11 p.m. - 6 a.m., important to
have drive throughs on campus.
- Question: Does it have to be an active
officer? Maybe a retired officer
instead? Reply: Limits to how much a retired officer can
work and earn. Would need 2-3
people to work full time. Would be
- Enrollment Update / Strategies for
figures reported to the State in April:
on next year
3,400 this Fall to stay on track.
Already have 25% of total anticipated.
line, we will make our targets for this year.
for 16-week calendar, to capitalize on advantages of shorter calendar:
time to register, more time to
react to student needs, assess, advise
assessment addresses compliance, provides rolling assessment, turnaround
time much quicker, can register more quickly. More accurate, will result in less need
for students to move.
Mass e-mails, in addition to specific e-mails to target groups,
into a number of students running into course conflicts due to compressed
calendar. Can't get matched,
workable schedule. Can we survey
those students now to see where the conflicts are and make adjustments? Especially in sciences. Good idea.
comment: will take a look at schedule to see if conflicts can be
reduced. High demand area and
limited facilities. May be even
more limited over next few years, resulting in enrollment challenges. Science labs expensive. Facilities issue.
Create learning community for sciences?
Great idea. Doing study
In schedule, when course is part of learning community cohort, can we communicate
as note when student can't register because it's part of the cohort. Reply:
Currently put out lists in schedule and provide to counselors, but
hope to improve communication with next version.
101 "LC" tag to identify as learning community.
- Council By-Laws Amendment
amendment regarding Council term of office. Will bring to Council retreat.
- Board Meeting Update
to length of meeting, skipping this item.
- Fall Meeting Time for College Council
seems to the natural break in the new afternoon schedule for fall.
can vote at Council retreat.
It will be hard to get new faculty to
serve if we don't agree on time / day now.
- Motion: Moved/Murphy; Second/Ellis; Passed to approve College
Council meetings for Fall 2006 on Monday afternoons, 3:00 - 4:30
p.m., 2nd/4th Mondays of the month
- Keller: Important to hear from all constituencies
on Fremont PD proposal.
clarification: Wednesday, 5/31,
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (not 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.)
- Council Schedule
Council retreat dates: May 31 and August 24 (9:00 – 1:00 p.m. / Wente Vineyards, Livermore).
Council summer schedule: 3:00 – 4:30 p.m. days when Board meets (6/14,
7/12, & 8/9)
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.