OHLONE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Video Conference Room /
College Council Meeting Minutes
MEMBERS PRESENT: Doug Treadway Jimmy Dempsey
Deanna Walston Joanne Schultz
Sheldon Helms Linda Evers
Jim Wright Walt Birkedahl
Kathleen Johnson Dave Schurtz
Tim Roberts Susan Myers
MEMBERS ABSENT: Tom Holcomb
Need two ASOC reps
Seconded/Birkedahl; Passed with two
abstentions to approve the
· Reminder: Purpose of procedure is to establish uniform communication, use of logo, presentations to media. Guidelines created to present consistent image.
Center Logo question. Is that still
allowed? Reply: Will continue use
because it's part of the stipulation of donation to foundation, as agreed. Exception to policy, agreed to years ago as
an accommodation for the
· Signed release form required for print material when students are recognizable. Graduation exempt from release requirement. Can shoot people when performing or in public events.
· Same policy for photos of employees? Yes, though it’s a condition of employment. As a courtesy, ask for release so they're aware.
· Brochures? Yes. College relations would like to review items that will be distributed or viewed publicly. Controlling for official college publications.
· Consciously developing our identity and branding. More consistent, inclusive.
· Ongoing administrative procedure, advisory to the President.
· Frontage Development. Snail's pace, but still movement. Since January, negotiation with Sobrato for developing housing, shops, lease income. Tonight, Board will consider Letter of Intent (LOI), where all parties will agree to financial model and how deal would be executed. Details of term of lease, etc.
· After LOI, enter into period of sending out to bid. Law requires 90 day bid period to accept bids.
to Sobrato (basis of the deal, to develop bid),
requires majority vote of Board. Funds
to imporve the
· November/December before package will be ready. Negotiations not finalized.
· Four seats up for re-election this November: Weed, McMillian, Foster, Yee
· In general terms, as soon as agreement and leases signed, we will have money for baseball field and parking lot. $6.5 million up front and $18 million once Sobrato buildings are built. Partner with Sobrato – the more profitable they are, the faster deal pays off.
on interest? General rule is to use interest
earned on capital facilities. Will have
"oversight board" and list of projects. Some of this money will be used to match
State money for
· Will funds be housed in 5013(c) through Foundation? Not necessarily. More common where district's are managing the properties, but Sobrato will manage.
· Brunton preference for 30 year lease ($150M) as opposed to 60 year lease which would bring $500M. Which lease term is more standard? 50-60. Don't know of any 30 year leases. Would be a deal breaker at 30 year lease.
· Encourage all of us to pay very close attention to Board and how they're voting. Inform all constituents of what's at stake.
· What reasons are being given for voting "no"?? Certain Board members have cited “Lease term too long”, “Don't believe the land is surplus”, “Not the best deal”, etc.
· The deal does gain us a fair return, based on the value of our property.
· Need to communicate our perspective while opinions are being formed.
· Can anyone write to trustees with opinions? Yes, individuals can communicate to any and all members of the Board.
· $1M of project fund in bond to start classroom renovations (2207, 3201, 8207,and possibly 4201-4202);1402/1406 new classrooms, to include paint, furniture, technology, lighting, carpeting, etc.
· Safety issues in labs will be addressed with separate “pot of money”.
· Asking for Council's support of project. Will model after Rooms 1402/1406 if you'd like to take a look at "sample". Asking for feedback. Sample classrooms designed based on learning environments (color, lighting, sound, materials, etc.). Earmarking $1M for technology upgrades/infrastructure.
· Vote of support (2207/8207 - Summer, 4201-4202 - Spring, 3201 - Winter). Will prioritize use of rooms to correspond with flexible space. Looking for feedback from 1402/1406.
Seconded/Schultz; Passed to support the classroom renovation
project as proposed.
· Quick review of proposed changes to Student Services building. Working drawings completed, now reconciling budget.
· Changes: Meeting room – permanent Board room w/ 100 seat capacity
· Review of three options proposed
· Suggestion to adopt Option B, but add second sentence from Option C.
to also include language “Voting commences with first meeting following spring
retreat for new members (incoming members)” and indication that retreats are
non-voting events”. This will remind us
that Council retreats are not a “business environment”, but an opportunity for
reflection and planning.
Seconded/Johnson; Passed to adopt the following amendment to the
College Council By-Laws (Article 3-c / Membership) to read:
The term of office for each Council member begins and ends with the
· Key words introduced and second draft will be distributed. Send thoughts, edits to Elizabeth Silva, who will also contact those who originally agreed to draft the mission statement revision.
· Revised, recommended statement will be presented at Fall retreat.
retreat agenda? Asking for volunteers to
assist with agenda prep. No business or
voting at retreat. Event to be a “learning
o Wednesday, August 9, / Video Conference Room
o Fall Schedule: beginning in September, College Council will meet on 2nd/4th Monday afternoons ( in Video Conference Room); 9/11, 9/25, 10/9, 10/23, etc.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at