Video Conference Room
/ Fremont Campus
Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539
College Council Meeting Minutes
April 23, 2007 ADOPTED
MEMBERS PRESENT: Doug
Treadway Sheldon Helms
Lambert Tom Holcomb
Walston Joanne Schultz
Myers Jimmy Dempsey
Rojas Leta Stagnaro
Dameron Jim Wright
Schurtz Tim Roberts
MEMBERS ABSENT: Tauheed
additional student representative)
Council Meeting Minutes
Moved/Myers; Seconded/Roberts; Passed with one abstention
to approve the 2/26/07 College Council minutes.
Moved/Lambert; Seconded/Stagnaro; Passed to approve the
3/12/07 College Council minutes.
Moved/Schultz; Seconded/Lambert; Passed to approve the
4/9/07 College Council minutes.
Dr. Treadway reminded the group the College Council is a Brown
Act body and that only those items placed on the agenda can be discussed at any
Retreat options discussed:
Day after commencement? Response: pressure with
day-after-graduation "clean up" of issues. Finals still on Friday,
given compressed calendar.
Possible to consider other dates less stressful for college
Fall retreat = Flex week before semester begins
Why not Spring retreat = Flex week before semester begins? Yes.
Necessary to have overlap between old and new members? Usually
only a few shifting out. Agreed that there is probably no need for formal
"passing of the torch".
Council By-Laws Amendments Proposal
- Article 4 (d) / Modification:
Current: A person must be
currently serving, or have served on the College Council, to be
nominated as Co-Chair. (Amended
Proposed: To be nominated
as Co-Chair, a person must have served at least one year on College Council and
be appointed to serve for the year in which they are nominated.
- Article 4 (e) / Modification:
Current: The Co-Chair is
elected in April, and the term of office begins in June.
Proposed: At the first
meeting of College Council for the new academic year, the Council members who
will be serving in that year will elect a Co-Chair from amongst their
- Additional By-law (Proposed):
Proposed: Two day-long Council
retreats will be held each year. One will be held in the Fall on the Wednesday
before Fixed Flex and the other will be held in Spring, on the Wednesday before
Moved/Schultz; Seconded/Roberts; Passed to amend the
College Council by-laws as documented above.
Funding / Capital Planning Requests
- Leta Stagnaro provided an update regarding a one-time
funding request for two vans and retrofitting two additional campus vehicles
and purchasing an ADA “pool lift”. $200K allotted in this category. If
this request approved, remainder of that amount is $71K which will be used
for converting Web CT format.
- Only remaining one-time funds are for sustainability
program; an update to follow.
- John Li to distribute funds into various Fund 12 accounts
(distribution accounts) for those proposals that have been approved. Fund
12 monies roll over one year to the next. There will need to be an ongoing
Web CT budget. Follow-up needed on that topic.
- Joanne Schultz provided a budget update. moving into
tentative budget and awaiting May revise of State budget. Schultz reviewed
- Legislative analyst says the state budget may not be as
good as assumed. Approximate date for May revise announcement is 5/14.
- Question: Are there any year to date savings that will be
carried over? Response: After we complete 3rd quarter report, will know
more. Will go to the Board for approval May 9th.
- Raises not included in summary since they cannot be
reflected until negotiated.
- This tentative expenditure budget is $1.5 mission short
and we'll have to dip into our Fund balance. This means we're entering a
deficit budget. District (and Council as budget committee) have to find
$1M+ in budget reductions for '07-'08.
- 50% rule also impacts budget decisions. When we're
talking about reducing budget, faculty salaries have to remain intact.
Have to make up the difference in services and classified side.
- Probably talking about a hiring freeze for Classified
staff. A piece of staffing increase is due to Newark campus opening
- Question: In revenue assumptions did we account for NWK
receiving $1M due to SB361? Response: Other costs (utilities,
maintenance, supplies) need to be considered. For a full year of
operation, $1M does not cover those expenses. Need additional money to
operate the new center, and we're living off of that money now -- before
being open. $1M part of apportionment with the assumption that NWK will
have at least 1,000 FTES. That funding will continue as long as we
maintain 1K FTES at Newark.
- Suggestion: 3-4 people meet with Joanne, Doug, Deanna to
discuss how to work out budget numbers. Task group to come back and
report to Council (Leta, Jill, Dave, and Tim volunteered).
- Currently 30 classified openings -- 7-10 discretionary (will
now delay 30-90 days). Difficult to hold back when considering programs
and services, with second campus going live in January.
- Take three year look at budget. Careful planning
approach, multi-year union contracts, enrollment planning, etc.
Media Policy & Procedure (1st Reading)
- Council provided with Media Policy & Procedure now, to
take to constituent groups and report back. Introducing into shared
governance to get reaction/comments/suggested edits. Faculty members
impacted were the ones who drafted this document.
- Some members of the Ohlone Board of Trustees have felt
that the District "owns" our TV, radio stations. This policy
reflects academic program perspective and Federal codes. Procedure
guidelines come from the State.
- Requesting input from all constituent groups; please
forward directly to Dr. Treadway.
- Next meeting of Board is primarily Board Sub-Committees
- Board will also consider approval of consultant to assist
with bid for frontage development.
No Council retreat on the day after graduation (that day too
hectic – and revised Council by-laws indicate Council will now hold retreats on
Wednesdays prior to each Fixed Flex / Spring and Fall).
May 21 meeting reinstated; consider extending to 3:00 – 5:00 or
even 6:00, if agenda is long. If we go until 6:00, dinner will be provided.
- 5/7 Council meeting (cancelled)
- 5/14 – Final self-study/accreditation steering committee
- 5/21 – Video Conference Room @ 3:00 p.m. (start time / end
- SUMMER SCHEDULE / June 11, July 9, August 6 / 3:00
– 4:30 p.m., Video Conf. Room
- FALL RETREAT: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 /
Palmdale Estates’ Best House (proposed)
ADJOURNED: 4:35 p.m.