Room 1406 (Building
1) / Fremont Campus
Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539
College Council Meeting Minutes
September 24, 2007 ADOPTED
MEMBERS PRESENT: Doug Treadway Mike
Wright Jill Rojas
Keller Carrie Dameron
Lambert Stephanie Ramos
Myers Linda Evers
Roberts Kurt Nordquist (replacing Jimmy Dempsey)
Schurtz Ron Travenick
MEMBERS ABSENT: Leta Stagnaro
two student reps)
Council Meeting Minutes
Moved/Roberts; Seconded/Schurtz; Passed with one
abstention to approve the 09/10/07 Council minutes.
- Review of 2007-08 Draft Committee Structure. Dr. Treadway
has approved and is open to comments. Revisions proposed and will be
incorporated into document that will be distributed via “announcement” and
posted on the website.
- Joanne Schultz distributed and discussed plan regarding
quarterly reports. Budget planning process reviewed, linking budget to
strategic plan. Only 1.5% of budget is discretionary.
- Annual assessment of strategic plan in combination with
budget linkages & prioritization. January analysis & review by
- Need to make reductions in recurring budget (not one-time
money). Needs filtered up through management system to address financial
requirements. May need additional training to make sure process works.
Subject in two parts: better managerially & how can Council look at
current budget and assess allocations?
- Managers consulted in budget process, here are all
positions at college -- is it correct? Very little opportunity to
consider variables. Key to avoid layoffs, radical changes to existing
positions. High percentage of budget fixed. Most effective way to deal
with deficit is to not fill vacant positions. Not necessarily positions
that aren't needed, just happen to be vacant (not planned).
- (Cost Centers) / Spreadsheet by divisions to review by
authority codes to understand current allocations. Identify problem
- Suggestion that DDAS (Deans, Directors, &
Administrative Staff) meet about budget on quarterly basis.
- Need to find a way to separate out Newark Center budget.
- Review of how goals are being met with budget would be
helpful. Committees attached to goals and they could review and report.
- Sub-committees focus by Board at the next meeting.
- President’s replacement will also be discussed.
& Secondary Effects Process
- Funds & Secondary Effects Process
- $1.5M one-time money / survey of needs.
- Update? Committee to address this topic?
- Request to governance groups went out last week asking for
3 reps from each group (CSEA/SEIU/Faculty/Students/Confidentials).
Waiting for responses and will schedule meeting(s). First task to review
Standard 3B for self-study write-up. Secondary effects. TBP contracted
to assist with analysis. Will validate previous analysis or make
revisions, considering master plan as guiding principal. Capital funding
items will also be considered.
- Imagining this will be a standing committee, but hoping
that members will continue for an academic year at least before rotating
out. Committee to bring updates to Council. Hoping for a cross-section
of volunteers for committee. Will focus on Ohlone college considerations
as a whole, without too much focus on one area by the standing committee.
- Question: Vacated classrooms at Fremont being scheduled
for spring? Intent to take 2 rooms in Bldg 8 and make them general
classrooms. Can be scheduled once it's confirmed that they're converted.
- Regarding space, CNET moved to HH, so 6315 has become
interpreter prep (moved out of Building 15); moving more of Deaf Studies
to Building 6. Things happening incrementally.
- Timeline? Big issue is first floor of Building 1, most of
which will be vacated when Student Services Bldg is complete. Move to Newark will be first wave, with move to SSB second wave. Frontage development could have
some impact; parking structure could have impact. Multi-faceted.
Group Reporting/Feedback Loop
- More efficient reporting? Council minutes are posted two
weeks after previous meeting, once approved. Verbal reporting? Not sure
it's being done consistently. How do constituent leaders report to their
- Suggestion: Faculty consider rotating "report
out" responsibility among 6 Council reps. Susan Myers currently provides
"President's Report" at each Faculty Senate meeting.
- Suggestion: Council co-chair reporting at various meetings.
Open to other suggestions re: how to reach other constituent members.
- Comment: Some frustration that there's not a lot to take
back to constituency from what's done at Council. People know there's a
Council, but not always sure what to report back.
- Suggestion: Meeting newsletter from co-chairs to highlight
what's going on at the Council. What we're doing now, what's happening.
- Suggestion: blog that can be categorized and communicated
to many, allowing for running history to be kept. Include link to entry,
and for those without computers - print and provide updates to those
re: President's Retirement and the Board
- Is there a desire for Council to make any recommendation
regarding transition? Go to constituents and come back? Is it the
Council's purview to be involved at this time? Faculty Senate did draft
resolution coming back to Senate on October 3rd for
consideration. If there is a resolution, Council could review that
version and decide if they want to voice similar support (or not).
- Board of Trustees is the group that needs to decide if it
has options it can pursue regarding Dr. Treadway’s time beyond his current
contract. Dr. Treadway wants to retire and he's not in a position to make
any recommendation. Council needs to address Board regarding
circumstances of the College that would argue for Treadway’s ongoing
involvement beyond June, 2008. Need to address Board, who are the
employer and, as such, Board can still ask him to serve for a period of
- Faculty Senate working to have very specific
recommendations. Part of role of Council has been to advise
- Rules of State Teacher's Retirement / Option for Treadway
to finish contract and serving as interim.
- Board sub-committee will meet and will report out at
general meeting, to take action at the following meeting (10/10).
- Update summary provided by Jim Wright to Council. Dr.
Wright requesting that Council review and comment on the section of his
summary entitled "Organization for the Self Study".
- Co-chairs to come to Council to discuss their sections?
Timing could be tricky, given number of sections. Connections being made
between planning agendas and strategic plan. Break into "bite sized
pieces" so Council can digest. Self-study too large to consider as a
whole. Accreditation standard co-chairs will provide overviews.
- Presentation of 2007-08 Budget
- October 22 meeting moved to October 18 (Thursday), to
accommodate golf tournament.
- All meetings 3:00 – 4:30 p.m., as follows:
- 10/8 (Room 1406)
- 10/18 (Room 4202)
- November 14 (Room 1406)
- December 10 (Room 1406)
ADJOURNED: 4:30 p.m.