Academic Standing Program Chart - Probation & Dismissal Information
Please note: Students who are on probationary status for two (2) consecutive semesters do not qualify for a continuing student registration appointment. This means if this is your second consecutive semester of Probation, or if you remain on probation next semester, you will register on a later date, with New and Returning students.
In addition, beginning Fall 2016 any student having a probationary status for two (2) or more consecutive semesters will be ineligible for BOG Fee Waivers in future semesters. Appeals for registration priority and BOG fee waivers need to be directed to the Admissions and Records office in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Status 1: Academic or Progress “Probation” Status
If a student has attempted 12 or more units and has a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0, or has 50% or more of their total attempted units made up of “W”, “I”, and/or “NP” grades.
- Probation - Student is blocked from registering for the next semester.
- Workshop - Student must attend the "Why Am I On Probation?" Workshop (if you have already completed this workshop in previous semesters you must complete one of the workshops listed in “Academic Subject to Dismissal”.
Status 2: Academic or Progress “Subject to Dismissal” Status
If for two consecutive semesters a student's cumulative GPA is below 1.75 and/or 50% or more of their total attempted units are made up of “W”, “I”, and/or “NP” grades.
- Subject to Dismissal - Student is blocked from registering for the next semester.
- Workshop - Student must attend a Subject to Dismissal workshop, which includes an advising session.
Status 3: Academic or Progress “Dismissal” Status
If for three consecutive semesters a student's cumulative GPA is below 1.75 and/or 50% or more total attempted units are made up of “W”, “I”, and/or “NP” grades.
- Dismissal - Student is blocked from registering for all future semesters.
- Reinstatement/Appointment - Student needs to see a counselor and petition for reinstatement. A student will need to repeat this process each semester they remain on Dismissal status.
- To be re-admitted for next semester you must complete each of the following steps:
- Step 1: Fill out a Student Reinstatement Contract (PDF) and Progress Reports (PDF) for each of your current classes (both forms can also be obtained at the Counseling Window).
- Step 2: Make a Counseling Appointment.
- Step 3: Bring each of the completed forms mentioned above to your counseling appointment and work with your counselor to determine whether or not you'll be able to enroll next semester.
Students on Academic Dismissal status will remain on Dismissal until their overall GPA rises above 1.75. Students on Progress Dismissal status will remain on Dismissal until their “W”, “I”, and “NP” grades do not exceed 50% of their total attempted units. Students who have been reinstated need to repeat the reinstatement process for Dismissal status each semester. If a student fails to meet the conditions outlined in their reinstatement contract, they may not be approved for a future reinstatement contract.
See the Academic Regulations policy in the Ohlone College Catalog for more information.
Skip plugin notice.
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".