http://www2.ohlone.edu/org/facultysenate/

 

DRAFT - Minutes

October 5, 2005 - 3:00 PM

Bldg 25 Conference Room

 

 

Senate Representatives: Lottie Bain, Richard Grotegut, Kay Harrison, Alan Kirshner, Bunny Klopping, Victoria Loukianoff, Susan Myers, Nancy Pauliukonis, Tim Roberts, Marge Segraves, Heidi Story, Carolyn Strickler, Teresa Sutowski, and Barbara Tull.

 

Others present:  Ron Travenick, Deb Parziale, Mark Lieu, Paula Bray, Mona Farley, Jim Wright, Martha Brown.

 

1.  Approval of Minutes

No changes to minutes.  Comment that we do not need to make a motion to approve minutes.  Minutes approved.  Susan will send out a final draft only if there are changes.  Minutes will be posted on the Faculty Senate website.

 

2.  President's Update - Tull (I)

 

The GE Subcommittee of CAPAC will be holding a discussion on Monday, October 10 in Hyman Hall 116 from 3:00-5:00 pm to discuss whether "D" grades should be eligible for GE Plan A credit.  Anyone is welcome to attend.  The subcommittee will subsequently make a recommendation to CAPAC, who should bring this forward to Faculty Senate.

 

Barbara and others recently attended an accreditation workshop.  The workshop focused on student learning outcomes.  Barbara urged programs under review to start thinking about student learning outcomes and what kinds of data they will need to include in the review.  Comment from the audience that student learning outcomes focus on what the teacher is doing, not what the teacher is doing.

 

There was an excellent turnout on the recent full-faculty vote on the compressed calendar.  143 total votes were cast; of these, 12 were from part-time faculty (there were 50 part-time faculty eligible to vote).  The vote supported the 16-week version of the condensed calendar by an 82% majority.

 

Barbara distributed a letter addressed to the Ohlone College Board of Trustees from Dennis Keller.  The letter expressed his concern with the Board's reluctance to consider the sale of property, as well as with the Board's tendency to revisit the same issue many times before making a decision.  The letter explained that this tentative approach to decision-making is hindering the College's ability to implement the Master Plan.   The comment was made that the Board will sometimes make a decision and then want to revisit the same issue.  It was also commented that after the most recent Board meeting it is clear that we will not be able to move forward with the development of the south acreage unless we sell it, rather than lease it.   Barbara is asking Senators to let her know if we endorse Dennis's letter.  He would like Senate's endorsement before sending it to the Board.  The suggestion was made that perhaps the Senate could endorse certain parts of the letter, rather than the letter in its entirety. 

 

Some members of Faculty Senate met recently with representatives from Alliant University.  Ohlone College is moving forward with our partnership with Alliant. 

 

President Treadway is in China this week, possibly recruiting international students.  There was concern expressed about this, as we currently do not have a person dedicated to serving these students.  Alison Hill has been handling these students, but her responsibilities as Director of Admissions and Records would prohibit her taking on large numbers of international students.  It was remarked that if we are going to recruit international students, we need to have services in place and classes on the schedule that they can take (ie: ESL).  We also need to think about finding housing for these students.  It was asked if the developers had considered building dormitories on campus.  It was remarked that a Student Service position could be funded by a portion of International Student fees.  These fees have the potential to be a big money generator for college.

 

President Treadway has started revisions of Board Policy.  The Academic Freedom policy is one that he is currently reviewing.  The trend nationally is to write these from a student point of view.  College Council has already looked at these as a first reading.  Doug did not bring these to Senate, but we should look at these also.  Barbara believes the policy is on the Board web site.  If these policies deal with academic or professional issues, the Senate should be consulted and make recommendations.  The Council is not coming back to Senate for some of these issues.  We still need to work out which group is responsible for what.  At some point we should have a meeting with Council to delineate roles of each.

 

Motion:  Faculty Senate has a meeting with College Council representatives to distinguish the roles of each.  (M) Kirshner (S) Story.  Approved unanimously.  Motion Passed.

 

It was asked at what point can we make motions not on the agenda?  Do they not have to be information items first?  It was commented that in the past, we have made motions that are not included on the agenda as information items first. 

 

Another commented that UFO has dealt with the issue of Academic Freedom.  It was asked whether there is anything in the contract pertaining to this?  It was suggested that we look at the contract too.  If there is something there it could give us more leverage.

 

3. Update on Enrollment Trends – Travenick (I)

 

Handout Chart of Resident Credit FTES, Historical Data and Current Year Forecast.  Ron explained that current fall enrollment is at about 3270.  To meet restoration figure (zero growth) we need to make sure we hit target of 7965 this year.  Last year we were short.  We can do this one year before we get penalized from state.  We also have projected enrollments for 2006-7.  It is crucial that we hit our target for Spring, 2006.  We do have enrollment “in the bank” from last summer, but we will not have that cushion next year.  If we didn’t have the one year grace period, we would have missed target last year by 300 FTES, which translates into a budget cut of 1.2 million.  Where we really have to make up for enrollment is next year.  We are not the only community college using summer as a “cushion”.  There are other schools doing this.  We are currently funded according to growth, but there are some things that indicate the Fremont is “grown out”.  In the interest of saving time, Ron suggested that we give questions about enrollment figures to Barbara and she can pass these on to him.  It was pointed out that these figures are a good justification for the condensed calendar;  if we need enrollment we need it next year.  It was also remarked that we are starting to reach out to specific target groups with programs like Puente and the NSF grant, which should also positively impact enrollment next year. 

 

4. Report & discussion on the roofing project & upcoming construction – Paula Bray (I)

 

Paula showed an aerial photo of the Newark site.  They are starting on the foundation.  Paula provided an update on campus roofing projects.  B&G is working on Building 4 and will start on Building 6 this week.  The work should be done by Thanksgiving.  Surveillance cameras have been installed on campus, now staff just needs to be trained on usage.  Code Blue Phones will be installed in parking lots.  These are for use in the event there is a problem for which someone need an immediate response.  These calls would go to Campus Security or be forwarded to Fremont Police.  The phone will have a blue light that goes off to indicate where help is needed.  These phones are solar powered and wireless, which means no trenching or power lines are needed for installation.  Other projects include stairs, hand rails and doors.  They will begin in December to replace classroom doors. They are installing several ADA doors with door operator.  Building 4 has a number of these doors that were installed, doors were also installed in 3rd floor of Bldg 1 and near Counseling and HR.  Anyplace someone with a wheelchair may have accessibility they are looking to install these door operators.  In addition, wooden handrails that are damaged will be replaced.  Wooden stairs will also will be replaced.  Where water intrusion is an issue, roofs are being replaced.  Some trees had to be removed, but they will start a beautification to restore the front of campus.  B& G will be fixing leaks and painting buildings for all buildings with water intrusion.  Painting should occur just before graduation.  We will resurface tennis courts sometime in the next year.  B&G also plans to put electronic locks on all classroom doors.  The comment was made that classroom boards are very clean but the erasers and trays are not.  This can be a problem for those with asthma.   Paula will let her staff know about this problem.

 

5. Text Book Prices – What Bay 10 Bookstores are doing to help – Mona Farley (I)

 

Mona provided a handout E-Books, Digital Books & Public Domain.  The Ohlone Bookstore is looking at all possible ways to lower textbook prices to students.  These include renting books, digital books, and public domain books.  Some of these solutions are already being used locally, for instance, public domain books are being used by some instructors at De Anza.  University of Phoenix does not use books at all – they uses “e-books”.  Skyline and Canada Colleges are doing rentals.  The comment was made that faculty need to be aware before they order texts what the cost to the student will be.  Publishers will often try to push new editions of text books.  The bookstore wants to work with us to get costs of books down.  Right now, e-books are limited.  Publishers don’t know themselves what to charge or where they can provide access.  There are some publishers that are providing text on websites with a temporary 6-month access provided to students at a cost lower than the text.  It was commented that even though some texts do not change from year to year, we are often encouraged to change texts after two years.  Sometimes CAPAC may expect us to update text.  In addition, publishers may increase the cost of textbooks yearly even if we use the same text.   The Math Department explained that many of their faculty were using a precalculus text, of which two chapters they did not teach.  They contacted the publisher and asked for a special edition without these two chapters and with soft cover.  The price of this book was about half the original text.  It was brought up that the mark up for cost of books was supposed to go toward the student body.  Ohlone should examine this policy and determine if we want to keep it.

 

6. Hot Topics & Issues from State Academic Senate – Lieu (I)

 

Mark Lieu gave an unofficial report on issues occurring at state level.  The first issue is Nursing.  The governor set aside $6 million in workforce investment act grants.  19 schools received grants.  Some of these were pretty hefty amounts, between $1-3 million per year.  There is another $10 million pot of money in SB77 to increase capacity in system from 6000 to 7800 students.  The idea is to increase FTE funding per student by $5000.  So far this has only been discussed;  they have not yet created Requests for Proposals.  A task force of Nursing faculty gave a report to the State Senate with possible remedies for issues facing Nursing Programs.  The comment was made that Ohlone has indeed  received some grant monies from Chancellor’s Office.  As a result, enrollment here has increased by 50%.  This is significant when we are talking about teacher to student ratio of 1 to10.  Another comment was made that legislators do not seem to understand the clinical component in Health Science programs.  In order to be able to accept more students, we must also be able to accommodate them in clinicals.  Another issue is that because nursing salaries have skyrocketed, we cannot find Nursing faculty to teach.  Simply providing money for these programs may not fix these issues. 

 

The Associate Degree is the second big issue at the state level, whether we accept “Ds”. 

 

The idea of the Transfer Degree is another issue.  This title is often misleading, and therefore is opposed by the statewide senate.  Students may feel that finishing a transfer degree somehow guarantees transfer admission.  An MOU for Lower Division Transfer Pattern with CSUs was just completed.  The concept that holders of a Transfer Degree would get priority consideration for admission to the CSU is a project of Chancellor Drummond that will probably go to state senate. 

 

The statewide senate working on implementing changes in requirements for Math and English.  Ohlone has already adopted these requirements.  There is talk of adding a graduation requirement in reading. 

 

The senate is working on standardization of nomenclature (ie:  AA and AS).  There is a lot of confusion about what the associate degree means.  Colleges use AA and AS differently.  AS often used to indicate a terminal degree, whereas AA means transfer, but this is not consistent. 

 

Another issue is the proliferation of majors.  There is concern that we have created too many majors.  There will be a task force to look at this. 

 

The state is undergoing a strategic plan.  The Board of Governors has final authority.  This will be a challenge. 

 

The 2006-7 budget proposals were put forward, which expect 3% growth.  Many districts are experiencing low enrollment, so this may be problematic.  Constant growth may not be a reasonable expectation, yet this is how we are still funded.  Only southern California districts are experiencing growth.  New legislation also proposes to keep student fees at $26, but to increase at a “reasonable” rate of 10% per year.  A question was raised whether the state senate has any position on Chancellor Drummond’s proposal to separate community colleges from K-12?  It was answered that although in separating we have no guarantee that we will get a better deal with funding, many are willing to take that chance, since our current funding formula is crippling.  Another comment was made that if we got reimbursed at the same rate as the CSU did per student, we would not have a budget problem at the community college.  This is frustrating, since we are expected to provide the freshman and sophomore years for the CSUs, who receive more funding than we do.  If there were a statewide referendum, it could pass if we get enough public support.  It was remarked that in California, referendum is not the correct term. 

 

7. Midterm Accreditation Report – Jim Wright/Barbara Tull (I/A)

 

We need to submit a report to the state by October 15 as a progress report to the WASC recommendations made four years ago.  There is a draft that Jim put on the web.  This is evidence that we are meeting recommendations.  Jim asked for feedback on the narrative and on the "Sources of Evidence" attachments, particularly attachment four "Summary of Budget Linkages to College Goals".  An example included in this attachment is that we are using fund 10 money for outreach to Latino students.  This is an example of fund 10 money being used to reach college goals.  WASC is particularly interested in how we are spending money in support of college goals?  For each goal, Jim has identified special funding outside Fund 10 as well as Fund 10 used through different initiatives.  Jim will repost the report on Friday October 7, and he will submit it on October 14.  The next site visit is in spring, 2008.  Our self-study will be done primarily in summer and fall, 2007.  A team of 10 people went to a WASC workshop last Friday, including five faculty and five administrators.  We received some initial input from WASC.  It might be a good use of Senate time to go over the standards, so that when it comes time to do the self-study we have a starting point as well as evidence of having had a discussion.

 

8. Preliminary Implementation plans, Compressed Calendar – Tull (I)

 

Barbara asked if there is anything in particular the Senate would like to address in regard to implementing the college calendar?  This item will now go to College Council, but we may want to consider having input during implementation.  For instance, other campuses have looked at things like the proposed intersession – do we want CAPAC to look at courses that should/should not be taught during intersession?  In addition, the UFO contracts say we work a certain number of days – do we have recommendations to make to UFO on how we want to rewrite these contracts?

 

The question was raised about how meetings will occur when there is more time spent in classrooms and our teaching day will go longer?  This has been a big concern.  It was pointed out that Fridays tend to be slow, perhaps meetings could happen them.  Some colleges teach Monday through Thursday and have meetings Friday.  Some colleges make this up by teaching Friday nights and Saturday.  In spring, the "Golden Four" will be offered in a Friday night/Saturday format just to see how it goes.  We are sending a letter today from the President to the Chancellor telling him we plan  to implement this calendar in fall, 2006 and will follow-up with a formal proposal.  The College Council will review the plan on October 14.  The plan will  to go to the Board on October 26, which will allow negotiations to officially begin with UFO, CSEA and SEIU.  We are hoping to do this as MOUs and not as part of regular contract negotiations so it doesn’t get bogged down with other issues.  Our administration is currently looking at the impact calendar implementation will have and creating a list of possible challenges.  The  administration would like to have much of this worked out by Christmas, since we need to have the summer/fall schedule worked out by the end of February.  Another question was raised – should we offer 15-week courses in spring if we are going to a 16-week term in fall?  It was answered that making everything 16-week the first time around it might be easier in the fall.  There will need to be several implementation teams including student services and business services.  We need to be aware of what issues come up and what Senate might want to be involved in. 

 

Right now, CSEA in particular is not excited about the condensed calendar.  We may have a role in assuaging people’s fears.  They may look at this new calendar in terms of faculty getting extra vacation and they get more work.  We need to make an effort to increase communication between all groups.  We could invite SEIU and CSEA to have representatives come to Senate, as Classified Senate used to do in the past. 

 

Move to adjourn (M) Bain.  Meeting adjourned 5:05 p.m.

 

Senators for 2005 - 2006

Building 1 & 5                                                Bunny Klopping

Building 2 & Hyman Hall                               Kay Harrison - Committees Chair                 

Building 4 & Smith Center                             Teresa Sutowski                     

Building 6 & 7                                                Marge Segraves

Building 8                                                       Carolyn Strickler         Rep to CCLC

Building 9 & NOC                                         vacant                                     

Counseling and LR&IT                                  Susan Myers                Secretary

Deaf Studies & Special Services                    Nancy Pauliukonis     

Exercise Science & Wellness                          Lottie Bain                  Treasurer

Fine Arts, Business, & Broadcasting              Janel Tomblin-Brown (Fall)/Tim Roberts (Spring)

Health Sciences                                               Heidi Story

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (English & ESL)        Barbara Tull                President

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (other depts.)             Alan Kirshner

Math, Sci., & Tech. (ASTR, BIOL, BIOT,

CAOT, CHEM, CS, & PHYS)                       Richard Grotegut

Math, Sci., & Tech. (other depts.)                  Victoria Loukianoff