http://www2.ohlone.edu/org/facultysenate/

 

DRAFT- Minutes

Wednesday, April 5

Building 25 Conference Room

3:00-4:30 p.m.

 

 

Senate RepresentativesLottie Bain, Kay Harrison, Alan Kirshner, Bunny Klopping, Victoria Loukianoff, Susan Myers, Nancy Pauliukonis, George Rodgers, Marge Segraves, Heidi Story, Carolyn Strickler, Teresa Sutowski, Janel Tomblin-Brown, and Barbara Tull.   Richard Grotegut filled in for George Rodgers to reach a quorum.

 

Others present:  Mark Lieu, Rob Smedfjeld, Ralph Kindred, Deb Parziale, Wayne Takakuwa, Ron Travenick, Jim Wright, Vicki Curtis.

 

Announcements

Deb Parziale brought up e-portfolios and Title III.  An objective in the Title III grant says all students enrolled in 6.5 units or more will have education plans and e-portfolios.  Deb is asking for faculty input to help implement this objective.  Title III team is currently looking at different types of software.  Faculty are invited to a software demonstration Monday, April 10 from 2:00-4:00 in 1307 (Video Conference Room).  

 

Ralph Kindred distributed a handout on IT Strategic Planning for the College.  He would like to involve the college community in the planning process.  He is inviting faculty participation in this process.

 

Ron Travenick publicly thanked Barbara for her courage at a recent Board Meeting.  She, Bob (Bradshaw?), and Linda Evers spoke to the Board re: the credibility of the administration of the college.

 

Ron Travenick announced that Alliant International University will be on campus for an open forum next Tuesday from 1:00-3:00 in the faculty dining room.  This will give faculty a chance to talk to Alliant faculty and administrators about their programs and curriculum.  This is a drop-in session.  Ron will send out an email announcement. 

 

President’s Update

Ben Peralta will be taking some time off.  His wife just had a new baby.  The understanding is that the baby is fine but his wife needs care.  We can contribute monetary gifts to Mona in the bookstore or KG in the library.  There will also be a card from all of us from SOAR. 

 

Barbara has been talking to different groups, including ASOC, about the date of commencement in Spring, 2007.  This item will be on the agenda again in the future. 

 

Senate will be taking over naming the "faculty member of the year".

 

Dr. Treadway is holding meetings to aid in his review of facilities.  A different building is discussed at each meeting.  Faculty are invited to participate These discussions seem to be going well.

 

The Board recently underwent their evaluation.  The evaluation seems to have had a good impact on the Board.  A summary was distributed at a recent Board meeting.  Barbara will distribute this summary to the Senate.

 

Approval of Minutes

One suggested change to the minutes.  Minutes approved with change.

 

Faculty Leadership

Currently, both Faculty Senate and College Council are facing a lack of faculty leadership next year.  Both Dennis and Barbara will be completing their respective terms as the co-chair of College Council and as the President of Faculty Senate.  Per Jim Wright, 45% faculty (67) have been here 6 years or less.  60% (90) have been here 10 years or less.  Ohlone has a large population of new faculty as well as a whole new system of shared governance.  In addition, there are so many committees and other activities on campus that it is often difficult to find enough members, let alone new leaders.  With this in mind, how do we cultivate future leaders?  Do we want faculty to be leaders on campus?  It seems like we see the same people at every meeting.  What should we be doing to get more faculty involved?

 

Kay suggested leadership training.  Another suggestion was to return the old model of Faculty Senate, in which every faculty member was part of Senate meetings, not just representatives.  Maybe we can have more large meetings, such as the Senate meetings during Flex days. Rob suggested getting an inventory of faculty interests so we can match faculty with the needs on campus.  Ron T. suggested reaching out to faculty and asking for faculty to “step up”.  In his experience, the faculty at Ohlone have always been very helpful when approached directly.  Deb suggested setting up mentoring for new leaders. 

 

Is it that there are just too many jobs for faculty to do? We have faculty on task forces, College Council, Faculty Senate, Curriculum Committee, GE Committee, as well as a big push for Learning College activities & Learning Communities.  Perhaps there are just too many jobs for faculty to fill.

 

Mark suggested that there has to be a way to make shared governance more compelling.  Faculty may not see why it is so important to be involved in campus leadership.  The idea of setting goals is a step in the right direction.  The issues are what will bring faculty to the table.

 

As a continuance on the discussion about shared governance, joint meetings were suggested once or twice per year between Senate and the faculty on College Council.  Faculty from College Council were in attendance.  They agreed that they would like better clarification of their roles from Senate.  The Senate president now sits on College Council in an effort to create better communication between the two bodies.

 

A suggestion was made to let the entire faculty aware of the need for faculty leadership at both Senate and College Council.  Faculty may not be aware that there are empty seats that need to be filled.  Barbara will send out an email encouraging all faculty to run for office and/or get involved.  Mark and Rob offered to co-sign the email.  The lack of leadership should not fall on Barbara's shoulders alone.  All three (Mark, Rob, and Barbara) agreed that they would be available to help faculty stepping into a new leadership role.

 

College Council representation

Due to time constraints, this item was  not discussed.

 

Academic Procedure Review

 

Dr. Treadway has updated Board Policy.  Senators were asked to look at Board Policy re:  administrative procedures, Chapter 4, Academic Affairs (handout).  We will start with this at the next meeting.

 

Announcement

Faculty Senate will be having a party at Best House this year, even though no faculty are retiring.  As with all years, the entire campus community is welcome to attend the party; however, those honored at the event are retiring faculty only. Elizabeth Silva has offered to let SOAR co-sponsor the event.  If this is the case, we would have to honor all retirees, not just retiring faculty.  The Senate decided to keep the event open to all, but not to use SOAR funds.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:45.

 

Senators for 2005 - 2006

Building 1 & 5                                                 Bunny Klopping

Building 2 & Hyman Hall                                Kay Harrison - Committees Chair

Building 4 & Smith Center                               Teresa Sutowski

Building 6 & 7                                                 Marge Segraves

Building 8                                                        Carolyn Strickler       Rep to CCLC

Building 9 & NOC                                           vacant                      

Counseling and LR&IT                                    Susan Myers             Secretary

Deaf Studies & Special Services                      Nancy Pauliukonis   

Exercise Science & Wellness                           Lottie Bain                Treasurer

Fine Arts, Business, & Broadcasting                Janel Tomblin-Brown/Tim Roberts

Health Sciences                                               Heidi Story

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (English & ESL)           Barbara Tull              President

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (other depts.)                Alan Kirshner

Math, Sci., & Tech. (ASTR, BIOL, BIOT,

CAOT, CHEM, CS, & PHYS)                          Richard Grotegut/George Rodgers

Math, Sci., & Tech. (other depts.)                    Victoria Loukianoff