A World of Cultures United in Learning







Faculty Senate Meeting Minutes

September 6, 2006

3:30-5:00 p.m.

Room 5301



Senate Representatives:  Lottie Bain, Kay Harrison, Alan Kirshner, Bunny Klopping, Victoria Loukianoff, Susan Myers, Nancy Pauliukonis, George Rodgers, Heidi Story, Carolyn Strickler, and Barbara Tull.  


Others present:  Marge Segraves, Ralph Kindred, Rob Smedfjeld, Jim Wright,


1. Announcements (5 minutes)

Transfer Day will be held September 19 in Building 1.  Representatives will be in the lobby from 10:00-1:00 that day.  Other events will follow.  Also remember that until then, Tuesdays are "T-shirt" Tuesday.  Faculty are encouraged to wear a t-shirt with a university logo.


Ron Travenick was not able to attend the meeting, as he is in interviews all day.  However, he wants to share the good news that enrollment that we are 10% over last year's enrollment and 3% over in headcount.  In the last 10 days we have grown by 1,742 new students and more than 300 FTES.  If these figures hold for the next 10 days we may be looking at the highest Fall enrollment that Ohlone has ever seen. 


Curriculum Committee will hold a Workshop on October 2nd at 3:00 focusing on

Non-credit options.


2.  Approval of the May 17, 2006 minutes (5 minutes)


            No changes.  Minutes approved.


3.  Committee Reports (10 minutes)


By-Laws & Constitution:  Alan Kirshner, Nancy Pauliukonis, and Susan

Myers will meet to review and recommend changes to the By-laws.


4.  "Collaborative Initiative, 06-07"- Jim Wright (10 minutes)



Dr. Wright introduced the Learning College Dialogue Weblog, promoting

dialogue and engagement with fewer meetings.  Faculty are encouraged to

participate in dialogue on topics including Academic Freedom and International

Education.  Links are provided to sites of importance.


5. Election of Governing Council/Officers (10 minutes)


5a. 2005-2006 officers are:  President, Susan Myers; Vice/Past President, Barbara

Tull; Treasurer, Victoria Loukianoff; Secretary, Nancy Pauliukonis; Committee

on Committees, Kay Harrison (Spring); CCLC, Carolyn Strickler; AFCCC, Susan

Myers.  No President-elect at this point. 


5b. Susan Myers will ask newly tenured faculty to fill governing council

vacancies replacing Teresa Sutowski (Building 4 & Smith Center), Marge

Segraves (Building 6 & 7) and Janel Tomblin-Brown/Tim Roberts (Fine Arts,

Business, & Broadcasting)


6. Senate Dues (5 minutes)


            6a. Senate is short on funds needed to pay the Best House for last spring’s

retirement party.  Susan Myers will ask Josephine Ong-Hawkins with the Foundation for a donation. 


6b. Victoria Loukianoff will send out a request to faculty for Senate dues with options to pay an annual payment by check or one-time payroll deduction of $12 or set up monthly $1 payroll deductions.  In previous years the annual deduction had to be requested by September 10; Victoria will check with Chrissy Lammers to see if the deduction can be taken in October instead.  The request to faculty will

include information concerning how the money is used (retirement party, flowers

for sick or bereaved, scholarships for books, etc.)


7. Plaques (5 minutes)


Plaques for deceased faculty and Senate presidents need to be updated.  Barbara

Tull will follow up and provide a list of names and dates to Susan Myers. 


8. Call for Committees (10 minutes)


8a. Susan Myers approved requests for Pilar Lewis to serve on the State

Academic Senate and Wayne Takakuwa to serve on the WebAdvisor

Implementation Committee.  The state of the task force/committee structure were

not discussed at the College Council Retreat, but will be discussed at the College

Leaders meeting in October.  Many task forces are not currently meeting although

some are still viable.  Some new committees have begun or will form.


8b. Susan Myers will send a message to Kay Harrison asking her to send out to

faculty a call for committees.


8c. Motion:  Until changes in the committee structure are worked out, Susan

Myers will approve faculty appointments to committees as they are

requested. (M) Kirshner (S) RogersAll in favor.  Motion passed.


8d. Ralph Kindred

Requested Faculty Senate to provide faculty to each of 3 new groups: 

Technology Master Plan Task Force, Instructional Technology Advisory

Committee, and Administrative Technology Committee.  He suggested that the

faculty include a mixture of those who use technology and those who don’t. 



9. Senate Goals for 2006-2007


Full discussion tabled.  Suggested topics for consideration: 

  1. AdHoc Committee to review schedule and calendar and solicit feedback from students, staff, faculty, admin
  2. Establish pathway for campus perspectives to be offered to the Argus, coordinated as a larger campus-wide effort involving College Council, Faculty Senate, and other entities


10. President’s Report—Myers (10 minutes)


10a. Leadership Institute- An accreditation Institute will be offered through the

state Senate at the SFO Westin on January 5 & 6.


10b. College Council- At their retreat, the Council members tested the new



10c. Board of Trustees meeting

            Board carried out self-evaluation.  Newark Mayor Smith provided Board with

            good input.  Extended Board provided feedback, seeking improved

            relations between the Board, administration, and faculty.


10d.  At Faculty Senate Meeting during Flex, Susan Myers polled faculty

regarding May 2006 graduation.   A small majority favored keeping graduation on

the Thursday of finals week.  Susan took this result to ASOC, CSEA, and SEIU

for their input.  There were no objections to the faculty recommendation, so

graduation will be held on Thursday, May 24, 2006.


11. Any other business (10 minutes)


  1. Barbara Tull asked about  Faculty Senate’s involvement in the upcoming Board elections.  Can the Senate (or UFO) endorse a candidate, or must involvement be limited to activities outside of the Senate as individual citizens?  Suggestions: a) ask League of Women Voters to include Board candidates in a pre-election forum.  b) ASOC could request statements from candidates
  2. Lottie Bain would like to discuss reducing the passing period between classes from 15 minutes to 10 minutes. 
  3. Bunny Klopping would like to address how course lab hours are listed in the course schedule under the new 16 week schedule.  She also would like disabled students to have access to the ASL lab via the hallway entrance to 1401 near the elevator in building one. 


Meeting adjourned at 5:13 p.m.


Senators for 2005 - 2006

Building 1 & 5                                                   Bunny Klopping

Building 2 & Hyman Hall                                   Kay Harrison             Committees Chair

Building 4 & SmithCenter                                 vacant

Building 6 & 7                                                   vacant

Building 8                                                          Carolyn Strickler        Rep to CCLC

Building 9 & NOC                                             vacant                      

Counseling and LR&IT                                      Susan Myers              President

Deaf Studies & Special Services                        Nancy Pauliukonis      Secretary

Exercise Science & Wellness                             Lottie Bain                

Fine Arts, Business, & Broadcasting                   vacant

Health Sciences                                                Heidi Story

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (English & ESL)             Barbara Tull               Vice-President

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (other depts.)                 Alan Kirshner

Math, Sci., & Tech. (ASTR, BIOL, BIOT,

CAOT, CHEM, CS, & PHYS)                          George Rodgers

Math, Sci., & Tech. (other depts.)                    Victoria Loukianoff  Treasurer