A World of Cultures United in Learning

 

 

 

 


Faculty Senate Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, October 4, 2006

3:30pm-5:00pm

Room 5301

 

 

Senate Representatives:  Lottie Bain, Kay Harrison, Alan Kirshner, Bunny Klopping, Victoria Loukianoff, Susan Myers, Nancy Pauliukonis, George Rodgers, Heidi Story, Carolyn Strickler, and Barbara Tull.  

 

Others present:  Rob Smedfjeld (sp)  Chris Warden,  Kellie Conde, Deb Parziale, Elizabeth Silva, Vicki Curtis, Mikelyn Stacy, Paul Schoenecker, Jim Wright, Bob Bradshaw, Leta Stagnaro

 

 

1.  Announcements

 

Jim Eagan and Gloria Kuhlman are ill. A card was circulated.

 

Rob Smedfjeld commented on last week’s Board meeting, disturbed by comments made by Trustee Weed alleging that the College deliberately omitted information about student services building from the bond to sway voters, and that there was internal political maneuvering on campus.

 

Faculty urged to attend the October 11 Board Meeting.

 

Two new articles from Tri-City Voice: an open letter from the Board of Trustees and an Editorial.

 

Alan suggested thanking Nick Nardolillo for his managing of the recent Board meeting.

 

Susan Myers spoke with Dr. Treadway and Sarah Zentner.  The Board subcommittee (Weed, Nardolillo, McMillan) seemed willing to ask Trustee Brunton to step down; they asked for a letter from the Senate stating that the Senate’s resolutions did not constitute ”formal” charges.

 

Motion:  Letter to be an emergency action item. Susan Myers will draft a letter and send it out to the Senate for approval. (Klopping)  Second  (Tull)

Motion passed.

Motion:  Letter should indicate that the Senate’s Vote of No Confidence remains the official position of the Senate, and emphasize that the resolutions made no formal legal charges. (Tull)   Second:  (Loukianoff) 

Motion Passed

 

2.  Approval of Minutes

 

Minutes approved as corrected.

 

3. Center for Innovation and Technology (Parziale)

 

The new Innovation and Technology Center is located in 1407 A & B.

 

The Title III grant has funded new technical equipment for the room.

 

Senators are asked to survey constituents and make suggestions regarding use of the space.  What teaching and learning activities would the faculty like to see take place?

 

No classes will be scheduled in the space.  The intent is to equip the room with the latest technology and make it available for meeting and training.

 

Amanda Wheeler (x. 7559) will schedule room 1407.

 

4.  Disabilities Awareness Week  (Conde)

 

Ohlone’s first Disability Awareness Week sponsored by DSP&S will take place the week of October 15-19.  The week will feature speakers and activities throughout the week.  Senators are asked to encourage constituents and students to attend activities.  Faculty will receive flex credit for attending sessions. 

 

5. 2007-2008 academic calendar  (Myers)

 

A proposal is needed from the Senate regarding intercession classes.  Jim Wright suggested that the proposal should originate with the Faculty Senate and then go to College Council so that the Council can determine the impact on the entire college community.  This needs to be done soon; we need to decide by spring what classes should be offered Intercession 2008.  Ideally, the intercession program should be promoted in the fall 2007 schedule.

 

The Senate proposal should include guidelines and limitations regarding the types of courses that should be offered, the number offered on and off campus, restriction of rooms, etc.  Senators are asked to collect input from constituents.  Other colleges have offered intercession programs successfully.  SCIU and CSEA have some concerns, though most classes would not impact the unions. (The intercession would create a new business session for the Admissions office; labs would be impacted) 

Senators should send the calendar to constituents and ask who is interested in teaching what courses.

 

Senators should ask constituents their preference regarding the scheduling of graduation 2008.  Do we want to try scheduling graduation on the Friday of finals week? This will be action item on next meeting’s agenda.

 

6. Restructuring Athletics and PE (Wright)

 

The PE program has expanded to include fitness, health, and wellness.

 

Proposed restructuring of Athletics and PE:

1.  Athletics

2.  Kinesiology (athletic training) which transfers directly to SJSU

3.  Exercise Science/ Fitness/Wellness, fitness center 

 

Jim will work on moving Athletics under Student Services; it now has a dedicated counselor (Kenn Waters)

 

7. Consultation on Faculty Positions  (Wright)

 

PE department is down in the number of faculty positions; when the Newark Center opens, it will need a full time wellness faculty position.  Currently it does not have dedicated faculty position for the fitness center.  The Fitness Center at the Newark campus is a key program at the new Center.

 

Proposal:  not fill computer science position and use that position for PE.

The CS department agrees that there is not a compelling reason to fill the CS position.  The proposal has the support of the CS department and Dr. Treadway.  This move would not replace any existing faculty vacancies, which will be filled in the area in which the vacancy exists.

 

 

8. Faculty Senate/Dean Prioritization of Future Faculty Positions  (Wright)

 

Susan expressed concern about creating a new position without going through the process of ranking new faculty positions; the “Faculty Prioritization Plan” needs to be faculty driven. However, Jim has asked Senate repeatedly to complete this process and is frustrated that this hasn’t happened- doesn’t want to wait another 2 years before he can make decisions.

 

The Prioritization Plan should be reviewed and updated every year to keep it current.

 

This will appear as an action item on the October 18 agenda.  A date will be set to handle the review process and rank positions this fall, perhaps holding senate meetings with deans in a different setting and allowing more time.

 

9. Reassigned Time  (Tull)

 

Tabled.

 

10. Presidents Report   (Myers)

 

Victoria is continuing to work on collecting dues.

Susan is still working on updating plaques.

There are still empty seats on Senate.

Tonight the League of Women Voters is holding a forum for Board candidates in the Child Development Center.

 

The College is looking at returning tennis as a team sport at Ohlone, first as a club sport sponsored by fundraising.

 

The State Board of Governors voted unanimously to support changing minimum math and English requirements (equivalent to transferable English 101A and intermediate algebra.

 

11. All other Business

 

The next Board Meeting will be held October 11 at 3:00 p.m. in the Smith Center.

 

Adjourned:  5:12

 

 

 

Senators for 2005 - 2006

Building 1 & 5                                                   Bunny Klopping

Building 2 & Hyman Hall                                   Kay Harrison             Committees Chair

Building 4 & SmithCenter                                 vacant

Building 6 & 7                                                   vacant

Building 8                                                          Carolyn Strickler        Rep to CCLC

Building 9 & NOC                                             vacant                      

Counseling and LR&IT                                      Susan Myers              President

Deaf Studies & Special Services                        Nancy Pauliukonis      Secretary

Exercise Science & Wellness                             Lottie Bain                

Fine Arts, Business, & Broadcasting                   vacant

Health Sciences                                                Heidi Story

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (English & ESL)             Barbara Tull               Vice-President

Lang. Arts & Soc. Sci. (other depts.)                 Alan Kirshner

Math, Sci., & Tech. (ASTR, BIOL, BIOT,

CAOT, CHEM, CS, & PHYS)                          George Rodgers

Math, Sci., & Tech. (other depts.)                    Victoria Loukianoff  Treasurer