Faculty Senate Meeting
Senate members: Lottie Bain, Paul Belasky, Richard Cominos, Susan Cunningham, Vicki Curtis, Jose Hurtado, Bunny Klopping, Gloria Kuhlman, Mark Lieu, Victoria Loukianoff, Kenney Mencher, Jeff O'Connell, Adam Peck, Rob Smedfjeld, Carolyn Strickler
September 19, 2001 - 3:45p
Others Present: Paulette Perfumo, Lisa Waits, Jim Wright, Mara VandeVen, Karen Hendrickson, Bonnie Moore
- Minutes of the September 5, 2001 meeting were approved with minor corrections (MSU - O'Connell/Belasky)
- Communications from the Audience:
- Concern expressed about inadequate television reception on campus. Definitely a problem during last week's terrorist attacks.
- Students greatly appreciated the memorial service last week. A thank you to faculty who allowed their students to come to the plaza to join in.
- Information is available for faculty to assist with talking with students about current disaster. Please contact Gloria Kuhlman.
- Faculty with last names following 'Scofield' did not get step increases calculated into their last checks. This was rectified and supplemental checks were issued. Faculty should check paychecks for accuracy.
- Grade rosters are not accurate, so should be checked to make sure student list is correct.
- VP Report
- Candlelight vigil tomorrow evening at 7:15-7:30 on Fremont campus.
- Educational Master Plan approved by Board. Board chose three design concepts for Newark Center to focus on. Available on the door to Mark Lieu's office (4109).
- Accreditation site visit is October 15 thru 18. Will be using 1216 as a "team room" during the visit. Have had information on how to structure site visit. A photo and bio for each team member will be available to faculty prior to visit. An informal meeting will be scheduled on Monday evening to talk with Standard Chairs and other administrators. A forum will be scheduled on both campuses to discuss issues and information. There will be an exit interview on Thursday afternoon at 3:00 in 2133. Faculty Senate meeting will be in 2207 on October 17, and site visitors will be attending. Site visitors will be attending classes on a random basis on both campuses. They will also be randomly talking to students and faculty across the campuses.
- Recruitment Project (Mara VandeVen)
Recruitment presentation "Recruitment Programs - From A to Z". Brochure distributed to senate representatives - would like feedback about brochure and information that can be added. Will market the identified programs to high schools - high schools will get to choose from list provided. Will require faculty members to participate in presentations as requested by different high schools. Send feedback to Mara. Thank you to all who helped with "Welcome Day" activities.
- Schedule for summer school 2002
Motion: The Faculty Senate approves the summer 2002 calendar with summer school beginning on June 24 and ending on August 1 (M/S/U - Rob/Bunny - approved unanimous)
Discussion - is there a possibility of providing summer classes earlier or other classes during the interim time?
Calendar for 2002-2003 - discussion of calendar proposals. Main proposal has the fall semester with only 83 days and the spring semester with 88 days with final exams straddling Memorial Day weekend. Discussion of changing start of semester from Wednesday to Monday.
Discuss with constituents - present calendars, option to move final exam in fall 2002 one day later, spring start one week earlier so does not straddle Memorial Day, starting on Monday instead of Wednesday (later start is to maximize census data)
- Partnership for Excellence
Administration requesting COLA for salaries being funded by PFE funds. Was line-itemed out by Governor. Would like to take off the top of what is left of PFE to put into salaries. Lieu handed out table comparing approved PFE requests for 2000-2001 and 2001-2002. Administration would also like to amend the approved 2001-2002 request. To be discussed at next meeting.
- Prioritization of goals
- Hiring process - high priority -
- Space allocation - high priority - discuss policy/process of how is done
- Calendar - exploration of alternative calendars - high priority
- Class cancellation process - Jim Wright would be willing to meet with faculty as a sub-committee to discuss process.
- High school courses - not current concern
- President's Update
Web Adviser: roster access via the web should be available by end of the semester with training at spring flex; web-based grade entry by the end of spring 2002 with probable use fall 2002.