Faculty Senate Meeting
November 7, 2001 - 3:45p
Senate members: John Peterson (for Lottie Bain), Paul Belasky, Richard Cominos, Susan Cunningham, Vicki Curtis, Jose Hurtado, Bunny Klopping, Gloria Kuhlman, Mark Lieu, Victoria Loukianoff, Kenney Mencher, Jeff O'Connell, Adam Peck, Rob Smedfjeld, Carolyn Strickler.
Others Present: Kurt Viegleman, Debbie Parziale, Jim Wright, Bob Bradshaw
- Minutes of the October 17, 2001 meeting were approved with no corrections (MSU - O'Connell/Loukianoff)
- Communications from the Audience:
a. Update on activities from UFO
- CAPAC Update (I - Parziale)
Review of courses moving along (41 at last meeting). Discussion of course update process and use of track changes. Have 110 courses for catalog changes for December meeting, so will have to have an additional December meeting.
- VP Educational Services/Deputy Superintendent's Report (I - Perfumo)
none; Dr. Perfumo on vacation
- Discussion of Hiring Process (I - All)
Concerns brought up during discussion:
Board policy information is available on Ohlone WEB site (section 3.5.1) - senators are encouraged to review.
- hiring of adjunct (low pay, so constant rehiring, process of defining equivalencies);
- equivalency committee (make process work better);
- training of hiring committees (diversity training);
- job announcements (go out with limited input from committees);
- number of candidates sent up for review;
- question of why cannot rank candidates if clearly have preference;
- hiring for administrative positions that were not part of original pool;
- faculty involvement in hiring committees that are directly related to working with faculty (like Dean positions);
- faculty involvement in recruitment process (where and when to advertise);
- ads are small with short run-time in paper;
- starting salaries on job announcements are for bachelors when MQ's require master's degree (not attractive to prospective applicants);
- interview times are set rather than determined by committee;
- interview sessions do not allow for questions other than specifically listed (like information on application)
- Letter to Accrediting Commission concerning proposed Accreditation Standards (I - Lieu)
Draft of letter distributed. Review and return to next meeting with comments
- Partnership for Excellence - update on funds (I - Perfumo/Lieu)
Have not done RFP rating yet, administration has agreed to $25,000 for faculty development "off the top". Will continue to work toward increasing to $50,000. People encouraged to apply for funding. Will invite Staff Develoment Coordinator to meeting to discuss different mechanisms for funding.
- Results of Calendar Election (I - Lieu)
Ballot results - 95 returned: #1 - 28, #2 - 13, #3 - 54. Will forward #3 as the calendar the faculty vote prefers. Will also work toward developing some rules on calendar development for future.
- Report from Equivalency Committee (I - Lieu)
No report - will have report in future.
- Report from the Fall Session of the Statewide Academic Senate (I - Lieu)
Presentations from Merlot project (online materials for teaching reviewed and rated) - www.merlot.org. Resolutions concerning accreditation - all nine passed - critical of proposed changes. Court ruling against affirmative action policy - concern about how to promote diversity -Resolution promoted use of Chancellor's office registry. Report out in about a month that will be routed. Spring session will be in San Francisco - April 4-6.
- President's Update
Pat Deggelman's husband passed away - a memorial service was held, a letter of condolence was sent from Faculty Senate.
- Opening of Technology Center - on agenda for Friday's ICC meeting - will be held in Spring. Classes started today.
- Jury duty of faculty - need to arrange with Dean.
Meeting adjourned at 5:00p (MSU O'Connell/Cunningham)