Board of Governor's Fee Waiver Program (BOG Waiver, BOGW) - Financial Aid Office

The California Community Colleges offer a Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW) to help eligible students with Enrollment Fee ($46/unit). The BOGW is a grant program and may require repayment. BOGW applicants are not required to be enrolled in a specific number of units. The BOGW pays the Enrollment Fees for the academic year and Summer term.

Male chemistry student working on lab test.

To obtain an Enrollment Fee Waiver, students must file a BOGW Application or a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Both of these forms are available at the Financial Aid Office or students may file a FAFSA online at

To qualify you must be a California resident (lived in California for at least one year and one day) must meet one of the following criteria to be eligible:

Type A (documentation required):

  • Receive AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children), TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income), or General Relief. Students must show proof (i.e., copy of a CA-7 with current or last month’s date, agency verification, etc.);
  • Be certified by the California Department of Veterans Affairs or the National Guard Adjutant General for eligibility for a dependent's fee waiver;
  • Be eligible as a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or as a child of a recipient or a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
  • Be eligible as a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.

Type B (documentation required):

Meet the income standards listed in the Total Family Income table below. Students should be prepared to show previous year's federal tax return(s), W2s, or other income verification.

Board of Governors Fee Waiver Program
2015-2016 Income Standards*
Family Size 2013 Income
1 $17,505
2 $23,595
3 $29,685
4 $35,775
5 $41,865
6 $47,955
7 $54,045
8 $60,135
Each Additional Family Member $6,090

* These standards are based upon the federal poverty guidelines, as published each year by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.  Under Title 5 of the California Code of  Regulations, the student or student's family must have a total income in the prior year (in this case, 2012) that is equal to or less than 150% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines based on family size.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services published the 2012 Poverty Guidelines in January 2014. 

These income standards are for the 2015-2016 academic year and are to be used to determine BOGFW-B eligibility effective July 1, 2015.

Type C (must have completed a FAFSA)

You have applied for financial aid and have been determined to have an unmet need by the U.S. Department of Education.  A Minimum Unmet Need of $1,104 is required.  For more information please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Once you are awarded a fee waiver, it will be applicable for the entire Financial Aid year (Fall,Spring and Summer).

BOGW Application Forms

2014-2015 Financial Aid Year

Note: If a student retroactively demonstrates eligibility for a fee waiver at any time during the academic year, the College may reimburse the students for the fees paid, even if one or more terms have been completed. Reimbursements may be paid to students only within the current academic year. There shall be no reimbursements after June 30 of the academic year. If a student becomes ineligible after receiving a BOG Fee Waiver, the college has the option of pursuing recovery of the ineligible fees.

Skip plugin info.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".