Federal Grant Programs - Financial Aid Office

Ohlone's Federal College Code is 004481.

Repayment of Federal Funds Requirements

If you receive a Federal grant and then withdraw from all of your classes before 60% of the term has been completed, you may owe money back to the grant program.  

Based on the date you completely withdraw, the Financial Aid Office will calculate the "earned" portion of your grant and will determine the amount you must repay.

A complete withdrawal from classes will affect your financial aid. 

We urge you to carefully evaluate your options before taking such a step. Counseling, advising, tutoring, and other support services are available to help you maintain enrollment in one or more of your classes.

If you decide that you must withdraw from all of your classes before the 60% point, it is your responsibility to officially complete the withdrawal process with the Office of Admissions and Records.

In addition, you must immediately notify the Financial Aid Office that you are no longer enrolled so that your repayment amount can be calculated and repayment arrangements made. 

If you withdraw from all of your classes without making appropriate arrangements, you may lose your eligibility for future Federal financial assistance from any federally eligible school.

U.S. Department of Education PIN

When you apply for financial aid you will receive a Personal Identification Number (PIN) from the U.S. Department of Education. This will give you access to your personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems over the Internet. For some applications, it will serve as your electronic signature. If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need a PIN to sign your online FAFSA. Request a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov.

You can use your PIN to do the following:

  • Access, complete, and electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA.
  • View the status and results of your processed FAFSA.
  • Make corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • View a history of any Federal student aid you have received.

Because the PIN serves are your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, you will need to keep it in a safe place. Do not give your PIN to anyone including financial aid officials. You will be able to use the same PIN in the future to apply electronically for student aid and access to your U.S. Department of Education records.

You may obtain additional PIN information including how to use it, security information, or obtaining a new PIN, by going to the website at www.pin.ed.gov or contact Customer Service at (800) 4-FED-AID [(800) 433-3243], TTY (800) 730-8913.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally-funded program. This grant cannot exceed one-half (½) the cost of your education. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate student, enrolled in at least 6.0 units each semester, demonstrate financial need, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Grants range from approximately $555 to $5,550 per academic year. The amount awarded, as determined by the Federal Pell Grant Program is based on the income and current asset information you provided in the application.

If you want to apply for the Federal Pell Grant and other financial aid programs, use the FAFSA. The deadline to submit the FAFSA and complete the Ohlone College financial aid file is April 23, 2012. Review Summer Pell if you are attending summer classes.

Please Note: For students receiving Federal Pell Grants for the first time on or after July 1, 2008, award eligibility is limited to 18 semesters.

See also the Summer Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Students on Unsatisfactory Warning (Probation) will not qualify for FSEOG.

FSEOG is a federally-funded program designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students with established need. FSEOG awards range from $100 to $4,000 per year. FSEOG is available for as long as it takes to complete the first undergraduate degree.

When you apply for financial aid, you will automatically be considered for this program based on eligibility requirements, packaging policies, and availability of funds.

If you are awarded FSEOG funds, you must complete at least 6.0 units (half time) with a grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.0 in order to continue receiving these funds.

You must file the FAFSA in order to be considered.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)

BIA grants provide money to help defray the costs of your education if you are of American Indian descent. Grant amounts may vary according to individual agencies of the BIA.

For information or applications, contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Central California Agency, Higher Education Coordinators, 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, CA 95825 or call (916) 978-6000.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally-funded program which enables students to earn part of their financial aid awards through employment. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.

Learn more about the Federal Work-Study Program.