State Grant Programs - Financial Aid Office

The State of California, through the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), sponsors several grant programs for undergraduate students. These include Cal Grants, California Chafee Grant, and Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents scholarships.

Ohlone's Federal College Code is 004481.

How to Apply

In addition to the FAFSA you must fill out a Grade Point Average (GPA) Verification Form and have it processed by the office of Admissions and Records prior to the deadline date. If you have attended Ohlone within the past six (6) semesters and have completed 24 units, the GPA verification will be electronically transmitted and the paper form is not required. Students who have completed less than 24 units must have the GPA verification form filled out by the high school. Many high schools electronically transmit the GPA Verification information as well.


To qualify for any state-funded grants, you must be a California resident, be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, have a valid social security number, and be attending (or plan to attend) an eligible school or college in California. You can receive only one Cal-Grant, either Cal-Grant A, B, or C.

The deadline to apply for state grant programs is March 2 prior to the academic year in which you intend to enroll.

Available State Grants

Cal Grant Program

What is a Cal Grant?

Cal Grants are state funded programs. The awards do not have to be paid back.

How to apply for a Cal Grant

  • Complete and submit the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  For a Cal Grant, the FAFSA must be completed and filed with the federal processor by March 2* of each year.
  • File a verified grade point average (GPA) with the California Student Aid Commission by no later than March 2*.
  • AB540 eligible students must complete the FAFSA/CA Dream Act Application by March 2 deadline to be considered for Cal Grant A/B High School Entitlement (senior high school students and students who graduated within the past two years), Cal Grant B Transfer Entitlement (College students who plan to transfer to four-year school), and Cal Grant C.

*Missed the March 2 deadline? There is a secondary deadline, specifically for California Community College students, September 2. Submit the required forms before the September 2 deadline to be considered for this specific Cal Grant. There is a limited number available.

Some high schools and colleges automatically file their students’ verified GPAs with the Commission. Some do not. Ohlone College submits students’ GPA electrically for students who have completed at least 24 college credits to be considered for Entitlement and Competitive Cal Grants or 16 college credits but less than 24 college credits to be considered for competitive Cal Grant B only. If you do not have enough credits at Ohlone College, but have previously attended other college(s), you must confirm whether your school will file your GPA for you, or obtain a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form, get it certified by a school official and mail it yourself.

Submitting all the required items does not mean you are guaranteed to receive a Cal grant. Your eligibility will be determined by the California Student Aid Commission after the required items have received. Please visit California Student Aid Commission web page to learn more about the process and requirements at

About the Cal Grant Program

See also the Understanding My Cal Grant Fact Sheet (PDF).

Cal Grant A (detailed information can be found at
  • Cal Grant A awards provide grant funds to help pay tuition and fees at qualifying institutions offering academic programs of at least two years in length.
  • A Cal Grant A award does not pay at a California Community College (CCC). The awards are held in CCC Reserve status, and are automatically renewed for up to two years enrollment if continued at the community college. Your Cal Grant funds may become available to you when you transfer to a Cal Grant eligible, degree-granting, tuition/fee-charging school, if you meet all the renewal requirements at the time of transfer. You may request a third year of reserve in writing by submitting an appeal form. When you transfer, be sure to update your school of choice on WebGrants for Students (WGS) at
Cal Grant B (detailed information can be found at
  • Cal Grant B awards provide grant funds to help pay for your tuition, student fees and other educational costs in a for credit instructional program of not less than one academic year in length.
  • The Cal Grant B award you receive during your freshman year will pay up to $1,648 per academic year for access costs, such as living expenses and expenses for transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with your sophomore year, Cal Grant B benefits will help you pay for tuition and fees if you attend a public or private four-year college or other qualifying institution.
  • Cal Grant B recipients attending a California Community College (CCC) may receive access costs of up to $1,648. Your Cal Grant B can be worth a lot to you when you transfer to a tuition/fee-charging school.  Remember, when you transfer from one school to another, it is critical that you post a school change on WGS at
  • You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be eligible.
Cal Grant C (details information can be found at
  • Cal Grant C awards assist with tuition and training costs for occupational, technical, and vocational programs.
  • The award includes up to $547 for books, tools and equipment — and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you’ll be attending a school other than a California Community College. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of the program.
  • To qualify, you must enroll in an occupational, technical, or vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, an independent college, or a vocational/career school. Even though a GPA is not required to apply for a Cal Grant C, you are still encouraged to submit yours because it can only help your chances of receiving an award.
  • Only if you are potentially eligible for the award, you will receive an email or letter notification asking you to access to complete the online Cal Grant C Supplement in WebGrants for Students. You will have 30 days from the date of notification to complete this form. If you are unable to complete the Cal Grant C Supplement online, a paper copy of the form is available at The paper Supplement must be completed and submitted to the California Student Aid Commission by the deadline.
  • You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be eligible.

When will I know if I’ve received a Cal Grant?

After you apply, you can track the status of your Cal Grant application online by using WebGrants for Students.  Log on to set up your personal, confidential account.

If you met the Cal Grant application requirements and qualify for a Cal Grant, you’ll receive an award letter, also known as the California Aid Report, or CAR. If you qualify for a Cal Grant Entitlement award and your application was received on time and needs no corrections, you should receive a CAR by the end of March or early April. If you have not heard from the Commission by April 30, please call toll free (888) 224-7268 or email to check your application.

If you’re applying for a Cal Grant Competitive award (you aren’t a high school senior and you didn’t graduate from high school the previous year or you plan to attend a California Community College and missed the March 2 deadline), you should receive a CAR by the end of May. If you have not heard from the Commission by mid-June, please call toll free (888) 224-7268 or email to check on the status of your application.

If you’re applying to renew your Cal Grant, you should receive your notification for renewal by mid-July. If you are a renewal Cal Grant student and you have not heard from the Commission by August 1, please call toll free (888) 224-7268 or email

Cal Grant C award offers will be made by the end of June.

California Chafee Grant Program

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for college or career and technical training. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school.

To be eligible, the student must:

  • be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • have financial need.
  • be enrolled in at least 6 units in an eligible program
  • make satisfactory academic progress
  • file the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Program applications.

Chafee Grant applications are available at the Financial Aid Office. The first step is to file a FAFSA at (it's free!). Then, for more information on the grant, check the Chafee Grant website at

Child Development Grant

The Child Development Grant awards qualified students up to $1,000 annually for students pursuing a child development permit to teach or supervise in a licensed child care center.  To be eligible, the student must:

  • be enrolled at least a half-time in approved courses leading to a Child Development Permit.
  • file the FAFSA and the California Child Development Grant Program applications.
  • commit to full-time employment in a licensed children’s center in California for a period of one year for each year of grants received.

Cooperative Agencies and Resources for Education (CARE)

The CARE program is sponsored as an EOPS support service. Students who are single parents with children under the age of fourteen (14) and receive TANF benefits are eligible to apply.

The program offers monthly support groups, workshops, auto repair vouchers, and financial assistance toward child care and transportation costs. You must be an EOPS student to participate in the CARE program.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

This is a state-funded program designed primarily for the recruitment and retention of students affected by educational, language, social, and economic disadvantages.

EOPS provides comprehensive counseling, retention, and transfer services. Students who apply before the semester begins and participate in all services will receive book assistance.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Scholarships

This grant program provides educational benefits to the dependents of California police and other law enforcement officers (Chief of Police, Police Officer, Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff, Marshall, Deputy Marshall, etc.), who have been killed or disabled in the line of duty.  Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $11,259 for up to four years

For information and an application, write directly to:  California Student Aid Commission, P.O. Box 510845, Sacramento, CA 94245-0845.

Skip plugin info.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".