Graduates: Instructions for Graduates - Ohlone College Fiftieth Annual Graduation Ceremony
- Friday, May 19, 2017
- Epler Gymnasium, Room 9202, Building 9, second floor, Fremont Campus
In order to not have a rehearsal, we ask you to read and understand the following instructions.
Please Read Carefully
Graduates meet in Building 7, second floor at 6:15pm for robing and alignment. Please do not bring purses, coats, suit jackets. It is best for you to leave belongings with family/friends, as there is no checkroom. (Hint - bring a couple of bobby pins for your cap.) Caps are to be worn so that they are flat on top with tassel on the right-front side.
Check-in with Admissions and Records staff to pick up your reader card to be used by the announcer and photographer. Fill out the reader card while you stand in line. You must have a card. After receiving the card, graduates will line up in pairs. Staff will be available to assist with the line-up. No special order is required - except that the Deaf and Interpreting graduates are first in line followed by the Nursing, Respiratory Therapist, and Physical Therapist Assistant graduates. All other graduates can line up in random order. If you want to sit by another person graduating, you will need to stand next to each other.
At 6:50pm sharp the procession will begin to the gymnasium. Staff will lead the graduates and ushers will guide you. You will line up in pairs; however, you will enter the gym in single file. You will walk down the center aisle and the leaders of the graduates will lead you to your seats. After a row is filled, the people in that row are to be seated. Ushers will assist you.
After all graduates have been seated, the assemblage will rise for the singing of the anthem.
President Gari Browning opens commencement; welcomes graduates, guests, and staff, and gives a message to the graduates.
Ms. Kimberly Quinto, President of the Associated Students of Ohlone College, makes brief remarks of congratulations.
Ms. Brenda Ahntholz, Faculty Senate President, introduces Mr. James Klent, Professor Emeritus, Chemistry, who will give the Message from the Faculty.
Dr. Browning introduces Ms. Gloria Fuerniss, Alumna and former Member, Board of Trustees, who will give the Remembrance from the Class of 1969.
Mr. Greg Bonaccorsi, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees, presents the Valedictorian Award.
Dr. Leta Stagnaro, Vice President, Academic Affairs, will approach the podium. At her hand signal, all graduates rise in unison. Dr. Stagnaro then presents the graduates to the Chair of the Board of Trustees as having completed all the requirements of the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges and of the Board of Trustees of the Ohlone Community College District for the Associate Degrees.
Mr. Richard Watters, Chair of the Board of Trustees, accepts the class on behalf of the Board of Trustees and "confers" the degrees.
After conferring of degrees, the individual presentation of diploma cases will begin. Instructions will be given for all graduates to be seated. The first row of graduates will be asked to stand and proceed to the platform. Each graduate will hand his/her reader card to the announcers who will read the names. The first graduate proceeds across the platform and the second graduate walks to the microphone and hands his/her reader card to the announcer. This continues until the last graduate crosses the stage. Ushers will assist with directing rows of graduates to the platform and back to their chairs.
Accept your diploma case with your left hand and keep your right hand free for the traditional handshake. As you receive your diploma case, relax, smile, and be proud! Photographers will take a picture of you and the College President at this point. Switch mortarboard tassel to left side. As you reach the end of the ramp, photographers will take another photo. Return to your row and your original seat. Remain standing until entire row has returned…then be seated. (Please read this part again.) * For additional notes for all Nursing, RT, PTA graduates read Attention: Nursing, RT, PTA Graduates below. *
After the diploma ceremony is completed, you will be given instructions about how to exit the gym in an orderly manner. Please follow instructions of the ushers.
Dr. Browning closes the ceremonies.
The recessional route proceeds out the doors on the same end of the gym where you entered. You will exit your row of seats towards the center aisle and will turn right to exit the gym the way you entered. Once outside the gym, proceed quickly up the stairs to the reception at the Promenade by Building 7 to avoid crowding. (Please tell guests ahead of time that you will meet them at the reception. Do not meet them inside the gym or by the exit doors.)
There is a Graduation Reception for graduates and guests at the Promenade by Building 7 sponsored by the Associated Students of Ohlone College.
Thank you for accomplishing all of this without rehearsal!
Congratulations and Best Wishes to You for Your Future Successes.
- All guests require a ticket for admission. The only exception are children under 3 years old who will sit on an adult's lap during the ceremony.
- If any of your guests use a wheelchair or need special seating, please have them tell an usher when they arrive at the ceremony. Guests who use a wheelchair will be required to have a ticket.
- The gym doors will open at 5:30pm. Guests arriving after 7:00pm will have to wait outside the gym until the conclusion of the processional at which time the gym doors will reopen for late-arriving guests.
- Parking is free on graduation night. Guests should enter the campus on Pine Street and drive up to the parking structure on the upper campus. Guests with disabilities, physical or mobility challenges, or injuries will have access to the gym via the parking structure elevator from any floor. There is direct access to the gym via a walkway from the second floor of the parking structure. (Fremont Campus Map.)
- There will be a section (with signs) in the bleachers near the platform for guests who have special needs (i.e. Deaf, disabled seating). Children are welcome but, due to space and safety constraints, we do not allow strollers in the gymnasium. There will be a stroller parking lot near the gym.
- Cell phones and pagers are to be turned off (or silenced) during the ceremony or, preferably, left outside the gym.
- Your family and friends may take personal pictures on the platform after everyone is out of the gym after the conclusion of the ceremony. Please ask your family and friends to wait 30 minutes before returning to the gym for photos. Please ask your guests not to crowd the aisles before, during or after the ceremony.
- Ohlone College graduation is a public event. As such, participating in or attending these proceedings gives permission to Ohlone College or any media to take and use your photograph for publicity, marketing or news purposes.
- Please ask your guests to remain in the stands and act appropriately—they should not interfere with graduation.
- Please dress appropriately—the gym may be quite warm and stuffy.
At the appropriate time, ushers will direct you to the front of the platform to the pinning area. Carry your pins unclasped as you proceed down the center aisle to the platform. Prior to entering the platform and having your name read, you will be pinned by Dean Gale Carli and the Program Director.
- When is Graduation?
- General Graduation Information
- Instructions for Graduates
- Academic Regalia (Caps, Gowns, Tassels, and Honor Cords)
- ASOC Graduation Reception
- How Do I Ensure that I Receive My Degree?
- Degrees and Diplomas
- Announcements, Photographs, and Video
- Frequently Asked Questions