Due to the Summer 2015 closure of Building 7 (Student Services Center) on the Fremont campus, the Student Health Center will be located only on the Newark campus. The last day at the Fremont Student Health Center is Thursday, May 21.
Starting Monday, June 15, the Student Health Center location at the Newark campus and hours are:
- Room NC1214, first floor, Wing 2, Newark campus
- Monday - Thursday
- 9:00am - 2:00pm
- 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Holidays and Breaks: Closed
Life Coaching - Student Health Center
Rosemary O'Neill, MA, MFT, Life Coach Certified
Student Health Center
Room 7302, Building 7, third floor, Fremont campus (Campus Map)
Life Coaching Frequently Asked Questions
What is Life Coaching?
- helps students set clear goals and reach those goals.
- challenges students to do more than they would have done on their own.
- focuses the student to more quickly produce results.
- provides the tools, support and structure to accomplish more in a clear and focused way.
How is coaching different from Counseling/Therapy? Sports coaching? A best friend?
- Coaching is not counseling or therapy. We don't work on "issues" or stay in the past. Coaching is about here and now and how to move forward. Coaching assists the student in personal and educational goals that will get them into the life/career they really want. The underlying premise is such that, each individual has the solutions; the coach asks the questions that will help the student release self defeating thoughts and behaviors that have sabotaged success.
- Coaching includes several principles from sports coaching, life teamwork, going for the goal, being your best. But unlike sports coaching, most professional coaching is not competition or win/lose based. We strenghten the student's skills vs. help them beat the other team. It's win/win.
- Best Friend
- A best friend is wonderful to have. But is your best friend a trained profesisional whom you trust to maintain your confidentiality, listen deeply, and encourage you to find your truth with regard to the most important aspects of your life, educational and career goals? How about having a best friend and a coach!
What happens in coaching?
Many things, but the most important are:
- You take yourself more seriously and get clear about what you want.
- You take responsibility for more effective and focused actions immediately.
- You stop putting up with what is dragging you down.
- You create momentum so it's easier to get results.
- You set identified goals and take action on them in ways you might not have done without a coach.
Where does the coach focus attention?
The coach focuses on the student's request. Some common topics are:
- Strengthening boundaries and building a strong Personal Foundation.
- Organization and time management.
- Living with integrity.
- Helping the student set goals based on their Personal Values.
Thereby, helping the student have fewer problems and focus on what's going to make them the most successful.
Why does coaching work?
Coaching works for several reasons:
- Synergy between the coach and the student creates momentum.
- Better goals are set—ones that naturally pull the student toward their vision, rather than goals that require the student to push and stress themselves to their desired outcomes.
- The client develops new skills, and these skills translate into more success and energy.
Please, give me some context about coaching…
A personal coach does just what an athletic coach or music teacher does, only in a more complete and bigger way. A coach challenges you and takes the time to find out what winning in life means to you. A coach is your partner in living the life you know you can accomplish, personally, academically and professionaly. A coach is someone to hold you accountable for your life, to make sure you really do live up to your potential.
Athletes and performers know about this. They know they need someone else, a trained someone else to help them sets goals, discover real needs, and work effectively toward ultimate goals of excellence. So, they work with a coach. No serious athlete or musician would expect to progress very far without one. When one is serious about living a fulfilled life, hiring a coach can help accelerate the process.