In the News 2006-2007 - Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology
News articles and press releases specifically related to the Ohlone College Newark Center are re-published on our website. Articles for the current academic year are available in Newark Center in the News. See College Advancement Media Relations for Ohlone College press releases and news articles.
- New Ohlone campus may have others turning green with envy - East Bay Business Times, July 6, 2007 - "The world's first green college campus will not be constructed on a Mendocino County bluff overlooking crashing Pacific waves … it is right here in the populous East Bay, rising just west of busy Interstate 880 in the bay lands of Newark."
- Green campus will train tech, biotech workers - San Francisco Business Times, June 29, 2007 - "Ohlone College is looking to the future with a new green campus in Newark that will prepare students for jobs in the burgeoning health, biotech and environmental technology industries."
- Ohlone College Receives Visit by Deputy Associate at EPA, Ohlone College Press Release, Friday, June 15, 2007 - "Ohlone College Newark’s environmentally sustainable campus project has caught the eye of the Environmental Protection Agency, specifically Randy Kelly the Deputy Associate Administrator at the EPA."
- State officials amazed by Ohlone campus - Inside Bay Area, May 17, 2007 - 'On Wednesday, a crew of dignitaries toured the campus' construction site on Cherry Street, among them Mark Drummond, chancellor of California Community Colleges. "This is absolutely mind-boggling," Drummond said, wearing a white hard hat emblazoned with Ohlone's logo.'
- An Ohlone College Update - Tri-City Voice, March 20, 2007 - "Change is the operative word at Ohlone College. A new student services center is under construction on the Fremont campus, the composition of the Board of Trustees is changing and the Newark campus continues to evolve. TCV recently spoke with President Douglas Treadway about these and other projects."
- Construction work reaches halfway point: Ohlone Newark campus construction half done Newark dean, vice president optimistic after rough start - Inside Bay Area, January 31, 2007 - "Ohlone College's Newark campus construction has reached the halfway point with a finish date of January 2008, a sweet milestone for the school's dean, Leta Stagnaro."
- Sobrato plans golf course - Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal, December 8, 2006 - Sobrato Development has plan for an 18-hole golf course and executive housing in Newark next to the new Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology.
- "Topping Out" Ceremony - Ohlone College Press Release, Thursday, August 17, 2006 - "The final steel beam at the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology was lowered into place this week, signaling the end of one phase of construction, the erection of the steel frame and the beginning of another."
- Ohlone ahead of its class in solar energy: Campus will generate 30 percent of its power needs - Inside Bay Area: The Argus, Saturday, July 29, 2006 - "As California struggles with the barrage of record temperatures and energy demand, Ohlone College officials are boasting about their solar-powered Newark campus."
- Ohlone College to Beat the Heat - Ohlone College Press Release, Thursday, July 26, 2006 - "In the wake of record-breaking temperatures and excessive power usage, Ohlone College is laying the groundwork to allow nature to heat and cool its new campus under construction in Newark, CA. Geothermal ground coils have been laid at the site of the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology, a 135,000 square foot building constructed on environmentally sustainable principles designed to meet Gold Level LEED certification standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council."