In the News 2007-2008 - Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology
News articles and press releases specifically related to the Ohlone College Newark Center are re-published on our website. Articles for the current academic year are available in Newark Center in the News. See College Advancement Media Relations for Ohlone College press releases and news articles.
- Honor planned for Ohlone College's former president - Inside Bay Area, July 10, 2008 - "Doug Treadway, who recently retired as president of Ohlone College, may have left the school, but he won't soon be forgotten."
- Treadway bids farewell to Ohlone College - Fremont Bulletin, July 3, 2008 - "Douglas Treadway's last day as superintendent of Ohlone Community College was Monday, completing five years of work he said he was very proud of."
- Ohlone biotech fair set for today in Newark - Inside Bay Area, May 7, 2008 - "Take a strawberry, mash it up, mix in detergent to break open cell membranes, add rubbing alcohol to separate out the DNA, and voila, you are on your way to a career in biotechnology."
- Ohlone baseball may be on move: Problems with Fremont athletic fields could bump games to Newark campus - Inside Bay Area, April 28, 2008 - "By June, the [Golden Baseball League] likely will know whether it can finance a stadium on Ohlone College's Newark campus, where the Ohlone Renegades also would play home games."
- Semi-pro league can't bankroll whole stadium - Fremont Bulletin, April 18, 2008 - "If a new baseball stadium is to be built for both Ohlone Community College and the Golden Baseball League, the college will likely have to pay for half of it, school officials announced last week."
- EPA Honors California Environmental Heroes - Environmental Protection Agency, April 16, 2008 - "During the agency's 10th annual Environmental Awards Ceremony in San Francisco today, U.S. EPA Regional Administrator Wayne Nastri presented plaques to 16 organizations and individuals throughout Northern and Central California in recognition of their efforts to protect and preserve the environment in 2007.… Doug Treadway, Leta Stagnaro and David Smith - Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology - Newark, California."
- Cost and Red Tape Hamper Colleges' Efforts to Go Green: They find ways to achieve sustainability without the official stamp - The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 11, 2008 - "The LEED image is not just for the wealthiest institutions. Ohlone College [emphasis added], in California, is seeking a platinum rating on a health-sciences building that just opened."
- The 'green' jewel of Newark - Tri-City Voice, February 20, 2008 - "The Newark campus of Ohlone College, touted as a 'green' campus, is a shining example of the innovative thinking of Silicon Valley and an inspiration to students who choose to study there."
- As green as it gets: Community college campus opens in Bay Area, Green School & University, February 14, 2008 - "Ohlone College in Fremont, Calif., has expanded with a new environmentally friendly campus in Newark."
- New campus recognized for "green" innovations - Fremont Bulletin, February 7, 2008 - "While Ohlone Community College celebrated the first day of instruction at its new $118-million Newark campus Jan. 28, a bigger celebration took place three days later. State, county and local officials gathered at the school's Newark Center for Technology and Health Sciences last Thursday to recognize the institution's achievement as being the first educational facility built with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, platinum level features."
- Ohlone College dedicates Newark's new 'green' building - Inside Bay Area, February 1, 2008 - "NEARLY 300 people packed a chilly plastic tent Thursday at Ohlone College's Newark Center for an official dedication of the building, touted again and again for its "green" design and operation. Lt. Gov. John Garamendi helped christen the campus…"
- Webcast of Dedication Ceremony for the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology, January 31, 2008
- Being Green: High Praise, Blue Jeans, Solar and more (audio clips) - KGO Radio News, January 31, 2008 - "California Lieutenant Governor John Garamendi offers high praise for the new health sciences and technology building on the Ohlone College campus in Newark."
- Ohlone "green" Newark campus debuts - Fremont Bulletin, January 31, 2008 - "Several dignitaries from the Tri-City community were on hand at Ohlone Community College's Newark campus Monday to commemorate the official opening of the new facility, the first of its kind to be LEED certified."
- Once blighted area redeveloped into “green” campus: U.S. EPA, college president, Lt. Gov. dedicate new community college campus - EPA Environmental News press release, January 31, 2008 - "Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology, the first community college in the United States designed to achieve the Platinum-level certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, officially opened its doors to 3,000 students on Jan. 28."
- Webcast of Ribbon Cutting Ceremony celebrating the opening of the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology, January 28, 2008
- Environmentally sustainable campus to earn LEED Platinum certification - Responder Safety, January 28, 2008 - "The Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology, a new environmentally conscious campus located in Newark, Calif., is on track to receive Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for design that achieves the highest levels of environmentally sustainable construction and operations practices."
- Final touches being made to Ohlone College campus: Dedication set for Jan. 31 - Inside Bay Area, January 24, 2008 - "The main building points to a hopeful future with its much-touted "green" design, including solar power, geothermal heating and recycled jeans insulation. That bold environmental vision becomes an everyday reality at 8 a.m. Monday, when the $118 million Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology welcomes students to classes after 2 ½ years of construction."
- Ohlone College Newark campus opens - Fremont Bulletin, January 24, 2008 - "On Jan 31, Ohlone College President Douglas Treadway will hold a press conference in advance of the formal dedication of the new community college campus in Newark."
- Ohlone College Green Tie Gala - Tri-City Voice, January 23, 2008 - "The Ohlone College Foundation proudly presents the Green Tie Gala on Saturday, Feb. 2. At this event, the community will gather and show their support for a greener way of living!"
- Update on Ohlone College - Tri-City Voice, January 16, 2008 - "The past twelve months have been filled with significant developments at Ohlone College. A new campus is about to open in Newark and a new president will be selected in the near future. Frontage property of the Fremont campus has been proposed at various times as land for sale or lease for commercial and residential purposes. … TCV spoke with Board President Garrett Yee about the current state of the college."
- Career Center to move to Ohlone: Program offers Web access, resume editing and referrals for vocational retraining - Inside Bay Area, January 6, 2008 - "Soon, job-seekers looking for help at the Tri-Cities One-Stop Career Center will find it in an unfamiliar location. After closing for a week Monday, the center will reopen Jan. 14 at the new Ohlone College campus, 39399 Cherry St. in Newark, a few blocks from the current Balentine Drive office."
- Green Building Project Round-Up - The SmartCool Blog, December 19, 2007 -"Ohlone College of Newark, California is getting a new health and technology center at a cost of $60 million. The project, which the college hopes to be certified LEED Platinum, will be complete and ready to inhabit in the next few weeks."
- The far side of the hill: Ohlone president talks about Newark campus due to open at the end of January 2008 - Tri-City Voice, December 12, 2007 - "The plaintive cry of balladeers, "Oh I wonder if it's greener on the far side of the hill?" will soon be answered, in part, with a ribbon cutting ceremony on Monday morning, January 28, and formal dedication proceedings on January 31 at noon as part of a nation-wide Global Warming teach-in called Focus the Nation. Ohlone College hopes to focus national attention on its Newark campus dedication and environmental achievements."
- Solar Powered Building & Lighting - LandscapeOutdoorLighting.com, November 25, 2007 -"We suggest that solar electricity is a sensible choice for outdor lighting and Ohlone has gone to town in asolar sense - they have installed 1585 Photovoltaic panels (PVP) on the building’s roof that will provide up to 50% of the building’s energy needs!"
- Ohlone College enters talks with minor league baseball for field - Fremont Bulletin, November 21, 2007 - "A new baseball field may be on the horizon for Ohlone Community College, as well as a minor league baseball team for the Bay Area."
- Ohlone construction ending soon: Green building technology used throughout Newark campus, planners say - Inside Bay Area, November 20, 2007 -"Amid the high-pitched 'bleet-bleet' of fire alarms being tested, Ohlone College President Doug Treadway sauntered Monday through the rapidly progressing Newark campus building."
- Newark's new mayor is familiar face at city hall: Dave Smith closes in on 30 years at the helm - Inside Bay Area, November 12, 2007 -"He easily added another mayoral term Tuesday, when he squared off with challenger Vibert Greene for the hearts and minds of Newark voters. He trounced his opponent with 81 percent of the vote. All in a day's work for Smith, a perennial politician who began working for Ohlone College last year, becoming executive director of the Ohlone College Foundation in May."
- Schools chief delivers upbeat report: Newark superintendent addresses challenges of new technology in talk - Inside Bay Area, October 19, 2007 -"…Newark Mayor Dave Smith plugged the grand opening of the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology on Jan. 28, with a gala event to follow Feb. 2 at the new campus and at the Newark/Fremont Hilton, where the state of the schools address took place."
- Ohlone sells engraved bricks at new campus - Fremont Bulletin, October 18, 2007 - "As completion of Ohlone Community College's Newark campus draws near, the school has developed an opportunity to include the public in the building and opening of a second campus in the district."
- Structures Awards 2007: Turner Construction, Contractor of the Year, Winner; Rosendin Electric, Sub-contractor of the year, Winner; and Ohlone College Newark Center, Green project of the Year, Runner-up - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal, October 12, 2007 - "The Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology is being billed as the first “green” community college campus in the nation, thanks in large to the work of Turner Construction Co. and Rosendin Electric."
- Newark mayor, California's most veteran, seeks 16th term - San Francisco Chronicle, October 12, 2007 - "Newark Mayor Dave Smith is seeking his 16th consecutive term as leader of the East Bay suburb in next month's election, and he actually has an opponent this time. But unless the ballots are counted in Florida, I wouldn't bet against him. … Newark, facing a loss in taxes, cut $1 million in program funds and had to draw $3.3 million in reserve funds to balance its two-year budget. … But there are bright spots. Ohlone College will open a health and technology center in Newark, which will accommodate 3,500 students and offer classes in energy conservation and environmental studies."
- Ohlone College Builds Environmentally Friendly Campus, Ohlone College Press Release, Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - "The new Ohlone College campus in Newark is nearing completion. Under construction since Fall 2005, the Ohlone College Newark campus is scheduled to open for classes in January 2008. … The building has been built to the highest standards of environmental sustainability using best practices of energy conservation. The College is designed to achieve Platinum level LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council."
- Ohlone College Selling Engraved Bricks at New Campus, Ohlone College Press Release, Monday, October 1, 2007 - Members of the community are invited to purchase bricks that will be installed in a designated location called 'Pathway to Progress' located at the front entrance to the campus."
- Ohlone head reflects on changes: President discusses growth in enrollment, green campus in final opening address - Inside Bay Area, August 25, 2007 - "Doug Treadway has seen big changes at Ohlone College in his four years as president, from roller-coaster enrollment after the dot-com bust to the dawning of the ultra-green Newark campus, which opens in January."