In the News 2008-2009 - Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology
News articles and press releases specifically related to the Ohlone College Newark Center are re-published on our website. Articles for the current academic year are available in Newark Center in the News. See College Advancement Media Relations for Ohlone College press releases and news articles.
- Generating Heat From Thin Air - The campus of Ohlone College is a showcase for green building technologies, like its system that sucks energy out of the air to help the HVAC system - August 6, 2009, Greentech Media
- Platinum Update: Community College Achives 70 Percent Energy Reduction - June 4, 2009, Green Building News - Utility records at the LEED Platinum certified Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology reveal that the campus achieved a nearly 70 percent reduction in gas and electricity consumption during its first year of operation.
- Ohlone College certified as LEED Platinum (PDF) - April 24, 2009, India Post - Ohlone College has again been awarded special honors as a model of Sustainable Design and Construction for its LEED Platinum building, the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology. Acterra, an 18-year-old Bay Area environmental organization, selected the Ohlone College Newark Center as a model of the Sustainable Built Environment award for the College's innovations in energy efficiency and green building.
- Ohlone College New Campus is the "Greenest College in the World", The News, Community College League of California, Fall 2008 - LEED Platinum—the highest level possible—was awarded to Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology for green building construction.
- Structures Award: Green Project of the Year - Public: Ohlone College's Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology: Ohlone College center honors sacred ground - October 24, 2008, Business Times - Environmental biology students at Ohlone College will learn in a facility that sets the standard for their field. The community college’s Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology is the first in the country to attain the highest certification level possible from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Ohlone College Newark Center is the first college campus in the United States to achieve LEED platinum status - October 17, 2008, East Bay Business Times - Little has been ignored in terms of sustainability at the new campus, which opened in January. Solar panels – 1,585 of them – on the center’s rooftop generate up to 50 percent of the building’s energy needs, thus reducing emissions of carbon dioxide by more than 183 tons – equivalent to planting nearly 52 acres of trees.
- Garamendi Challenges Universities to Go Green - September 13, 2008, KCBS 740AM - Lt. Gov. John Garamendi is challenging California college campuses to become more energy efficient and sustainable, and points to one Bay Area college as a leading example.
- Ohlone College New Campus is the “Greenest College in the World!”, Ohlone College Press Release, August 28, 2008
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".