New Student Orientation Overview - Counseling Department
All new students are required to complete orientation prior to registering for Fall or Spring Semesters, except those who meet one of these exemption criteria:
- Have earned a college degree (associate degree or higher)
- Are enrolled in K-12 while taking Ohlone College courses
- Are enrolling solely to take a course legally mandated for employment or necessary to meet changed industry or licensure standards
- Are enrolling for a reason other than career development or advancement, transfer, earning a degree or certificate, or completing a basic skills or ESL course sequence
Students in Category 1 or 2 are automatically exempted.
Students who believe they qualify under Category 3 or 4 may submit a Request for Exemption from Matriculation Requirements.
- Ohlone resources and services
- Study skills and other strategies for college success
- Math and English placement results
- One-on-one advising with an Ohlone College counselor
- Creation of an individual class schedule and registration for classes
- Students rights and responsibilities
- Associate degree and transfer requirements
Students are required to arrive on time for orientations and plan to attend the entire three-hour session, during which students will meet with a counselor and register for classes.
Please check the In Person Orientation Schedule for a schedule of upcoming orientations and to reserve a seat. Students can reserve a seat up to 30 days prior to an orientation; however, due to limited class availability students should attend the soonest orientation possible.
The Online Orientation option is designed for students who cannot attend an in-person orientation and will include counseling and course advisement. Please keep in mind that it may take up to 7 working days to complete the orientation and be cleared to register for courses.
ESL students: Please review Orientation for ESL Students.
firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 659-6110.