Orientation is mandatory for all new students planning to enroll in Fall or Spring semesters, except concurrently enrolled K-12 students and those who hold an Associate’s Degree or higher. (Orientation is not required for Summer session enrollment.)
What is placement?
Placement is the process Ohlone College uses to determine the appropriate English and math Level for a student to start in their first college semester. Ohlone College uses multiple approaches to place students into our English and math sequence.
Students will be placed into the highest possible courses utilizing any of the following criteria:
- Completed course work at a regionally accredited college or university
- For students who graduated from HS in the last 5 years, GPA and completed coursework is reviewed
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) / Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC), OR a combination of EAP/SBAC and Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC) grades
- Advanced placement (AP) tests
- Computerized assessments in English and math (Accuplacer)