Placement Testing Center
Orientation is mandatory for all new students planning to enroll in Fall or Spring semesters, except concurrently enrolled K-12 students and those who hold an Associate’s Degree or higher. (Orientation is not required for Summer session enrollment.)
New to College
If you have not completed a college course after high school graduation, you will need to complete Placement Testing and Orientation.
Have attended another college(s)
If you have completed a course at another college after high school graduation:
- Orientation is required for all students who are new to Ohlone College. You will need to attend an Orientation in order to register for classes.
- Please see a drop-in counselor for an initial transcript review, clearance of any necessary prerequisites, and an initial student educational plan.
- Make sure to bring copies of all your unofficial transcripts when you meet with a counselor.
If you are unable to come in person you can contact the online counselor.
Returning to Ohlone
If you did not complete orientation during your first semester at Ohlone, you will need to fulfill this requirement in order to register. Continuing students can take advantage of our online orientation.
You may want to meet with a counselor to:
- Clear prerequisites (drop-in)
- Discuss transfer credit (appointment)
- Discuss Career Planning (appointment)
What is a Placement Test?
The Ohlone College placement tests cover language, reading, math and chemistry. The English, ESL, and Math placement tests are computerized and not timed. The Chemistry test is a timed, paper and pencil test. The test results help you and your counselor determine which courses are needed to best meet your academic goals.
Course placement recommendations are based on multiple criteria including your placement test scores, previous courses, high school grades, and other applicable information.
The placement test is not a pass-fail test and does not exclude you from admission to Ohlone College. ACCUPLACER is used for the English and Math tests. Compass is used for the English as a Second Language (ESL) test.
Fremont Campus, Room 7205, Building 7, second floor (Fremont Campus Map)
43600 Mission Boulevard
Fremont, CA 94539
It is important to take the placement tests if you plan any of the following:
- To obtain a certificate/degree from Ohlone College
- To take an English or Math course at any time
- To take courses which have English, reading or math prerequisite
Important! Students must reserve their space for all placement tests. Space is limited and reservations are required. Students who missed three reservations without cancellation will be blocked from making any further appointments for the remainder of the semester.