Placement Testing Center
Orientation is mandatory for all new students planning to enroll in Fall or Spring semesters, except concurrently enrolled K-12 students and those who hold an Associate’s Degree or higher. (Orientation is not required for Summer session enrollment.)
New to College
If you have not completed a college course after high school graduation, you will need to complete Placement Testing and Orientation.
Sign up for:
Have attended another college(s)
If you have completed a course at another college after high school graduation:
- Please see a drop-in counselor for an initial transcript review, clearance of any necessary prerequisites, and an initial student educational plan.
- Students will need to attend an Orientation to register for Fall 2014 classes after meeting with a counselor.
- Please bring copies of all your unofficial transcripts when you meet with a counselor.
If you are unable to come in person you can contact the online counselor.
Returning to Ohlone
If you have completed a course at Ohlone college after high school graduation:
Placement testing and orientation are not required. You may want to meet with a counselor to:
- Clear prerequisites (drop-in)
- Discuss transfer credit (appointment)
- Discuss Career Planning (appointment)
What is a Placement Test?
The Ohlone College placement tests cover language, reading, math and chemistry. The English, ESL, and Math placement tests are computerized and not timed. The Chemistry test is a timed, paper and pencil test. The test results help you and your counselor determine which courses are needed to best meet your academic goals.
Course placement recommendations are based on multiple criteria including your placement test scores, previous courses, high school grades, and other applicable information.
The placement test is not a pass-fail test and does not exclude you from admission to Ohlone College. ACCUPLACER is used for the English and Math tests. Compass is used for the English as a Second Language (ESL) test.
All placement tests are administered on the Fremont campus at the Placement Testing Center, Room 7205 (Building 7, second floor) (Fremont Campus Map).
It is important to take the placement tests if you plan any of the following:
- To obtain a certificate/degree from Ohlone College
- To take an English or Math course at any time
- To take courses which have English, reading or math prerequisite
Important! Students must reserve their space for all placement tests. Space is limited and reservations are required. Students who missed three reservations without cancellation will be blocked from making any further appointments for the remainder of the semester.