Rental of Smith Center Facilities- Gary Soren Smith Center for the Fine and Performing Arts
- Smith Center Rental Rates
- Facilities Tour
- Technical Specifications of Facilities
- Rental Guidelines and Policies
- Smith Center Rental Application (PDF)
- Contact Information
- Each use of the Smith center shall be controlled by the specific authorization for equipment and services granted in the Technical Check List. Complete the Technical Check List carefully! Only those services and equipment requested and authorized on the Technical Check List will be provided for a given program.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all areas outside the Smith Center except the parking lots, as well as in the lobby, the house, the total stage area, including back stage, and the storage rooms. Smoking is permitted in Lam Plaza outside the lobby only for the duration of public performances.
- Food or beverage shall not be served or allowed into the house or stage.
- All arrival, departure rehearsal and performance times shall be set in advance to eliminate any interruption with the normal educational program of the college.
- College personnel shall not be used for loading or unloading any vehicle or moving scenery unless requested on the Technical Check List and reimbursed accordingly.
- College employees and/or students will be provided at established hourly rates to operate the lighting and sound equipment. No other persons shall be authorized to operate lighting, sound equipment or rigging systems. The cost of such services shall be paid by the user.
- Providing ushers is the responsibility of the user. At least 2 ushers are required per performance. In the event that this does not happen, your organization will be charged an additional fee.
- No painting shall be done on the stage nor shall scenery or props with wet paint be moved onto the stage.
- No nails, screws, stapples, tape or other fasteners shall be used on the hardwood wall covering in the Lobby or the House. All fasteners and tape used in any area at the facility and on any equipment provided shall be removed after the last performance. Any resulting damage shall be paid for by the user.
- Nothing shall be fastened or hung from the stage curtains or drapes. No pins, wires, or other fastening devices shall be attached to the stage drapes for any purpose.
- All sets, props, and other stage materials not owned by the College shall be removed from the building by 12 noon the next day that the College is in operation. This shall be done by appointement with the Smith Center.
- No entry shall be allowed into the Jackson Theatre, NUMMI, or other facilities not specifically applied for and authorized by the College.
- The use of pianos is by prior arrangement only.
- An authorized school employee will be in the Smith Center at all times it is in use. Any infractions of the rules and regulations will be reported to the Director of Theatre Operations.
- Scheduled rehearsals and performance dates and times shall be followed strictly. No changes in rehearsal or performance dates and times will be considered unless of circumstances beyond the control of the applicant. In such cases a new application shall be filed with the Director of Theatre Operations for available dates and times in the Smith Center.
- Six-hour performance blocks, and three-hour rehearsal blocks include facilities, labor, custodial and equipment fees.
- Client is responsible for labor and facilities overtime, specialty equipment and Box Office charges if applicable.
- The Smith Center Technical Coordinator will determine the appropriate staffing required for each show.
- Any performance or rehearsal schedule that lasts six hours or longer must include a minimum of one 1 hour break for the Smith Center staff and crew.
- Client is responsible for securing a $1,000,000 insurance liability policy naming the Fremont Newark Community College District as additionally insured.
- Client must meet with the Director of Theater Operations and the Technical Coordinator prior to the event
- Non- Profit clients must provide proof of status in the form of a 501(c)3 letter.
The following facilities are available:
- Jackson Theater: 400 seats
- NUMMI Studio Theater: 100 seats (approximately)
- 2 small dressing rooms: 4 makeup stations in each. Adjacent bathrooms with showers.
- 2 large dressing rooms: 21 makeup stations in each. Adjacent bathrooms with showers.
- Green Room
- Dressing rooms and the green room are included with the rental of the Jackson or the NUMMI. These facilities are subject to availability.
The following labor is included:
- Performance: Technical Coordinator, 3 technicians (typically sound, lights, and stage hand), and House Manager.
- Rehearsal: Technical Coordinator and 2 technicians.
- Additional technicians such as follow-spot operators are not included.
- Client is responsible for providing ushers.
The following equipment is included:
- Tables, chairs, microphones, stage monitors, choral standing risers, orchestra seating risers, music stands, orchestra chairs. Quantities available may vary.
- Special lighting and equipment requests are subject to availability and additional labor costs.
- The Smith Center is not responsible for renting outside equipment from third parties.
The following Box Office services are available (please note: there are additional charges for these services):
- Box Office staff during Box Office hours and on night of the performance
- Ticket Stock
- Ticket printing
- Box Office hours are Tuesday through Friday: 1:00pm - 7:00pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Please contact us with any questions or concerns:
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".