Meeting Notes Thursday, October 10, 2013 - Student Success and Support Programs Committee
In attendance: Wayne Takakuwa, Ann Burdett, John Mullen, Jennifer Harper and Ron Travenick .
Student Success Action Plan & Budget Proposal (Ron)
- Went through the 8 implementation areas and updated the plan
- Ron will update the action plan and we’ll put it on the committee website
- Ron is working with the executive team on a budget proposal and hopes to have it finalized next week
- Jen & Ron will present SSA information to College Council next week
Registration Priority Appeal
- John is incorporating feedback and will put the form on the web
- Counselors/Directors can recommend a student be granted an appeal, but the decision will reside with the A&R Dean
- Appeals are for “extenuating circumstances” (as defined on form/Title 5) and improvement in academic progress
- Forms will be turned into A&R for processing once a student/director/counselor completes them
Future Meeting Schedule
Room 7340, 10-1130am.
- October 24thBasic Skills update (Mark/Tony), follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
- November 7th
- November 21st
- December 5th
- Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
- Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
- XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
- Technical Priorities list
MIS/SARS – 1st meeting October 17th @10am
We will be changing SARS appointment reason codes by the end of the semester to align with MIS mandates.
- Kathleen Schoenecker
Wayne is using the counselor feedback and current needs to develop a budget for the money we received this year and things we will need to implement future mandates.
We need to evaluate the program and timeline for notifying students. There are decisions to be made about where probation students fall within registration priorities and how we want to deal with students who go through workshops to clear their holds.
- Lenore Landavazo
We need a committee campus-wide. The state is looking at this issue and will be giving CCs direction in the next year or two.
The small group will make recommendations to the department by the end of Fall on what electronic system we may want to move forward on.
Need to re-vamp orientations to accommodate all new students. We also need a better tracking system and way to ensure all students get initial ed. plans completed during orientations.
- Kathleen S. (IT)
SSSP Plan (due July 1, 2014)
The committee will need to tie all projects/plans together and write a SSSP plan to be approved by College Council, Senate, etc.
- Mark Lieu
Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus (i.e. Ron is going to College Council on 10/14)
- SSSP committee
- Jen & Wayne
Counseling Position Proposal
We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time).
- Need a counselor
Need to start thinking about how we are going to see ALL students for comprehensive SEPs. We can essentially do whatever we want here, but it's time to start brainstorming on what we think is the best way to serve more students. Again, there are resources available to help us.
- Need a counselor
WebAdvisor Error Message Updates
Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students
- John Mullen