Meeting Notes Thursday, October 24, 2013Student Success and Support Programs Committee

In attendance: Wayne Takakuwa, Jennifer Harper, Ron Travenick and Tony Le.

Matriculation Exemptions (update)

  • Ron, IT and the new Dean of Admissions will work on remapping the new CCC Apply application to help automatically exempt students who have an AA degree and higher from the matriculation process
  • IT is also working on blocking returning students with less then 15 units who have not yet attended an orientation, however, this will not be in effect for the Spring 2014 term
  • Ron will ask Bruce for a timeline of this process, so Student Services can make plans to accommodate students as we move forward
  • IT can pull a list of these returning students (so we can invite them to orientations), but this will not be mandatory for Spring 2014

Orientation Blocks (update)

  • Wayne, Jesse, Kathleen and John meet weekly on this issue
  • The committee suggests we have admissions update the communication we send to students after they apply ASAP to discuss the new, mandatory orientation procedures

WebAdvisor Messages (update)

  • John and Frances will meet on October 30th to work on this

Other Updates

  • A Student Services-centered Systems Analyst position will post today for a 5 day internal search
  • Ron will meet with the executive council Tuesday to discuss posting a Outreach and New Student Programs Coordinator position ASAP

Basic Skills Presentation (Tony Le)

  • Tony presented the long and short term goals of the Basic Skills Committee
  • Tony is doing counseling/advising within all Engl 151A and Math 190/190A courses
  • Tony is tracking SEP completion rates and student services used for this cohort of students
  • The data indicates Tony's program is a success with students improving their use of services and completion of SEPs throughout the term
  • The committee recommends we work on tracking Tony's services as we move forward with SARS & MIS reporting to be sure we are capturing this work in the "At-Risk" category of the SSA
  • Ron recommends we pull rosters for these classes and have the contacts mapped right into Colleague
  • Jen suggests getting a keynote speaker (like the one from the SF Basic Skills conference a few weeks ago) and presenting to the faculty at-large during Staff Development in January and/or August with Basic Skills (and SSA?) money
  • Ron proposes we fund an Adjunct Counseling position specifically caseloaded to Basic Skills with our SSA (or maybe Basic Skills??) money

Future Meeting Schedule

Room 7340, 10-1130am

  • November 7th(cancelled)
  • November 21st Review and explanation of the "scorecard" (Ron/Mike Bowman?), SSA Plan (Wayne/Mark)
  • December 5th

Ongoing Projects

MIS/SARS

2nd meeting October 29thh @3-4pm.

We will be changing SARS appointment reason codes by the end of the semester to align with MIS mandates.

  • Jen
  • Wayne
  • Ann
  • Debbie
  • Nan
  • Kathleen Schoenecker
  • Susan

Academic Standing

We need to evaluate the program and timeline for notifying students. There are decisions to be made about where probation students fall within registration priorities and how we want to deal with students who go through workshops to clear their holds.

  • Lenore Landavazo
  • Jen

Student Equity

We need a committee campus-wide. The state is looking at this issue and will be giving CCs direction in the next year or two.

ESEPs

The small group will make recommendations to the department by the end of Fall on what electronic system we may want to move forward on.

  • Mandy
  • Diane
  • Frances

Orientation

Need to re-vamp orientations to accommodate all new students. We also need a better tracking system and way to ensure all students get initial ed. plans completed during orientations.

  • Jesse
  • Lenore
  • Wayne
  • Kathleen S. (IT)
  • Linh
  • ? Jared and Frances

SSSP Plan (due July 1, 2014)

The committee will need to tie all projects/plans together and write a SSSP plan to be approved by College Council, Senate, etc.

  • Mark Lieu
  • Wayne

College-wide communications

Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus (i.e. Ron/Jen went to College Council on 10/14, Will present to Senate in November)

  • SSSP committee
  • Ron
  • Jen & Wayne

Counseling Position Proposal

We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time).

  • Need a counselor
  • Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work

SEP Workshops

Need to start thinking about how we are going to see ALL students for comprehensive SEPs. We can essentially do whatever we want here, but it's time to start brainstorming on what we think is the best way to serve more students. Again, there are resources available to help us.

  • Need a counselor

WebAdvisor Error Message Updates10/30/13

Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students

  • Frances
  • John Mullen

DONEBudget

A preliminary budget has been approved

  • Wayne
  • Ron

Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee

  • Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
  • MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
  • ESEP
  • Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
  • Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
  • XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
  • Technical Priorities list