Meeting Notes Thursday, November 21, 2013Student Success and Support Programs Committee
In attendance: Wayne Takakuwa, Ann Burdett, Debbie Trigg, Mike Bowman, Jennifer Harper and Ron Travenick.
Score card explanation (Mike Bowman)
- Mike explained the 7 components of the scorecard
- Preliminary discussion of the counselor to student ratio matrix that will be released in January
- Counselors in DSPS/EOPS and with re-assigned time will NOT be factored into the ratio
- Ron will provide a list of the counselors being factored into Ohlone’s ratio
Strengthening Student Success Conference Report (Mark)
- Mark shared 3 ideas from the conference
- College of the Canyons is using a small textbook to teach 22 “College Success” tips once a week in their classes (across 5 disciplines). Tips are taught within the regular courses (not PD & not by counselors). Mark will purchase a copy of this text.
- Las Positas & East Bay have created thematic GE patterns to help students focus on certain areas while completing GE. These patterns will also result in a minor at East Bay.
- Chaffey College has online modules for orientation that can be completed as needed (i.e. how to prepare for assessment tests, how to plan for your 2nd semester in college, etc.).
College Student Success Plan (replacing old Matriculation Plan)
- Due 10/17/14
- We have a broad outline of what needs to be included in this plan
- Our plan should be discussed and approved college-wide (i.e. faculty senate)
- Wayne volunteered to gather all “evidence” and documents to support the plan
- Ron will bring all related APs to the committee for feedback and inclusion in the plan
- Mark suggested we change “Get It Done Day” to focus on student success for Fall 2014 as a way to include the entire college in the planning and implementation of our new student success goals.
Future Meeting Schedule
Room 7340, 10-1130am.
- December 5th
- APs: 5010 (PDF), 5050 (PDF), 5052 (PDF), 5055 (PDF), 5070 (PDF), 5075 (PDF), 5110 (PDF), 5120 (PDF), 5300 (PDF),
- Get It Done Day planning,
- Check in on SSA Plan.
We will be changing SARS appointment reason codes by the end of the semester to align with MIS mandates.
- Kathleen Schoenecker
We need to evaluate the program and timeline for notifying students. There are decisions to be made about where probation students fall within registration priorities and how we want to deal with students who go through workshops to clear their holds.
- Lenore Landavazo
We need a committee campus-wide. The state is looking at this issue and will be giving CCs direction in the next year or two.
The small group will make recommendations to the department by the end of Fall on what electronic system we may want to move forward on.
Need to re-vamp orientations to accommodate all new students. We also need a better tracking system and way to ensure all students get initial ed. plans completed during orientations.
- Kathleen S. (IT)
- ? Jared and Frances
SSSP Plan (due October 17, 2014)
The committee will need to tie all projects/plans together and write a SSSP plan to be approved by College Council, Senate, etc.
- Mark Lieu
Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus
- SSSP committee
- Jen & Wayne
Counseling Position Proposal
We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time).
- Need a counselor
- Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work
Need to start thinking about how we are going to see ALL students for comprehensive SEPs. We can essentially do whatever we want here, but it's time to start brainstorming on what we think is the best way to serve more students. Again, there are resources available to help us.
- Need a counselor
WebAdvisor Error Message Updates
Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students
- John Mullen
A preliminary budget has been approved
Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee
- Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
- MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
- Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
- Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
- XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
- Technical Priorities list
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".