Meeting Notes February 12, 2014Student Success and Support Programs Committee
In attendance: Debbie Trigg, Mark Lieu, Kathleen Schoenecker, Jennifer Harper, Deborah Griffin, Wayne Takakuwa and Ron Travenick.
- Ohlone has chosen Ellucian’s student planner as our initial student planner system
- We expect it to take approximately one year to implement this program
- Counseling may look at adopting another system (particularly the state-funded system) after development (which could be 3-4 years)
- Wayne will meet with Don to make a plan for moving forward
- A counselor will be assigned to work on this program
- We will need to work out the articulation issues involved in degree audit
- Jennifer will lead an eSEP group within counseling to figure out how to implement the new system and how to provide more students with SEPs (for example, will we give registration incentives for those who hit 15 units/3rd semester & complete an SEP?)
- Student planner costs approximately $60-70000 the first year and $10-15000 ever year thereafter
Student Success Plan
- Wayne has assigned each part of the plan to various people/groups
- A draft of each area is due to Wayne by 3/7/14
- Wayne and Mark will proof-read each area and take it through the college’s shared governance venues
- Mark suggests we include CTE/ESL/High School services into the plan
- The committee wants the SSP plan to align with and feed into the Strategic Plan for the college
- Jennifer & Ron will contact Leta to discuss this
- Mark & Wayne will bring in the Deans/Divisions to have a look at policies and procedures and make sure things are all well-documented across the campus
- Deborah will work on the BOG issues with Jennifer to make sure we are identifying students at risk of losing BOG (as required)
- Ron will get more information on the overlap between BOG requirements and those on academic/progress probation
- Ron informed the group that things like tutoring, follow up with instructors and PD classes can now be “counted” as follow up (we need a process to identify & count these items)
- College Council formed a Student Equity Committee
- Jennifer will send out the Equity Plan documents Ron has received from the state
- Mark, Kathleen and Debbie will be on this committee and help communicate between Student Success and Equity
College Student Success Staff Development/Get It Done Day Update
- Suggestion to tie in with Student Equity Committee and use GID day to evaluate our equity data as part of our program/course review process
- The first half of GID can be an explanation of the plan, deadlines and changes (i.e. unit limits), a presentation of the data (i.e. scorecard) and a way to evaluate courses/programs with the data
- The 2nd half of the day could be to work within our departments to apply the information gained on student success to our individual program/class outcomes
- Ron will follow up with Chris and Leta on this
- Ron & Wayne will create a staff development workshop for April 2014 which will present the Student Success Plan to the campus and begin getting feedback
- Anticipating a significant increase in SSA funding for 2014-15; but exact amount won’t be known until summer/fall.
- Ron & Wayne will start looking at adjusting 2014-15 budget to make full use of additional funds.
- Money used for the 3 X 1 match will be scrutinized; Ohlone is well-positioned to be able to provide the matching funds.
- Possible idea to hire a financial aid counselor and early alert (or intervention) counselor
Administrative Policies Follow Up
- Link to all APs on the website (blue approved/black not)
- Jennifer will review all APs online
- Wayne will look at current ratio and give feedback to Ro
Future Meeting Schedule
Room 7340, 10-1130am
- February 27th, 2014 Orientation Updates (Jesse)
- March 13, 2014 Presentation of SSP draft (Wayne)
- April 3, 2014
- April 17, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- May 15, 2014
Kathleen has been asked to update codes. Jen will train the department on 2/25/14 to begin using new codes. Kathleen will look into the online counselor “platform” within SARS and report back at a later date.
- Kathleen Schoenecker
IT needs to re-write the registration priorities program rule to identify 2nd semester probation/subject to dismissal/dismissal students by April 2015 to make sure their registration priority is removed for next term. There have also been errors found in this program that Kathleen/IT have been made aware of.
- Lenore Landavazo
We need to identify students at risk of losing their BOG fee waivers to make sure we are notifying them and offering them the appropriate services.
It met with Jen & Wayne back in Spring 2013 to draft a new proposal for the Student Profile interface which would help clean up “declared program”, “major” and academic standing information. This project is on the IT prioritization list. We are waiting for IT to re-prioritize this project.
Committee will be forming under College Council and direction from Ron
- Debbie Trigg
- Mark Lieu
ESEPs & SEP Workshops
We are moving forward with adopting Ellucian’s student planner as our initial student system. We plan to re-evaluate our options once MAP and other state-wide systems are available in 3-4 years. Now, we need to start writing our plan to see ALL students for comprehensive SEPs. A preliminary draft is due to Wayne on March 7th, 2014.
A new type of orientation was piloted for Spring 2014. There is also a new online orientation available to students. We are looking at implementing late-start PD classes to help accommodate students who miss orientation and enroll before going through the process. We also need to look further at the best way to provide iSEPs to new students.
- Kathleen S. (IT)
SSSP Plan (due October 17, 2014)
The committee will need to tie all projects/plans together and write a SSSP plan to be approved by College Council, Senate, etc. Parts of the comprehensive plan have been assigned and drafts are due to Wayne by March 7, 2014. The committee will review the comprehensive plan on March 13th, 2014.
- Mark Lieu
Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus. This includes presentations to college council, faculty senate and future staff development training. Presentations were made to college council and faculty senate in Fall 2013. Ron and Wayne will develop a staff development workshop for April 2014. We are also working on a college-wide staff development “day” in the fall where all faculty will focus on equity & student success within their program/course evaluation work.
Counseling Position Proposal
We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time). Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work, Financial Aid and, perhaps, someone to run an early alert/intervention program.
- Susan Myers
WebAdvisor Error Message Updates
Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students
- John Mullen/Laura?
A preliminary budget has been approved and continues to be revised as the state directs other money our way.
Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee
- Student Equity (moving to a new committee under College Council)
- Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
- MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
- Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
- Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
- XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
- Technical Priorities list