Meeting Notes March 13, 2014 - Student Success and Support Programs Committee

In attendance: Debbie Trigg, Mark Lieu, Ann Burdett, Jennifer Harper, Deborah Griffin, Wayne Takakuwa and Jesse MacEwan.

Student Success and Support Programs Plan – DRAFT presentation (Wayne)

  • Wayne presented a “pre-draft” and asked for feedback by 3/21/14
  • Wayne, Mark and Ron will go to Senate in April/May, then College Council in summer and the Board in early fall
  • Questions came up: how many years should we be planning for and how often will we need to submit this plan?
  • Deborah will follow up on Ohlone’s policy for enforcing new BOGW fee waiver requirements for probation students (Ed Code. 58621 & 58612)
  • Discussion about the loss of registration priorities for special populations and those on 2 or more semesters of probation. Wayne, Ann, Jen & Ron will need to follow up on our procedure for this. Ann/Debbie will work on a guideline/proposal for those in the special population groups to maintain priority registration if/once they clear their registration hold via workshops, etc. However, this differs from the process for the general population as these students are directed to the “end” of the registration priority list REGARDLESS of whether or not they complete a workshop or not. This process needs to be outlined before registration priorities are assigned for Su/Fall 2014.
  • Jen will forward the committee information on what can count as a “follow up” services

College Council Sub-Committee on Student Success/Equity (Mark)

  • This group has discussed the possibility of mandating a student-service centered class for all new students
  • Mark started discussion of what “curriculum” this course would include
  • This group meets again next Wednesday

Orientation Exemptions (Jesse)

  • Jesse went over an internal document outlining exemptions
  • Jesse proposed we change the “Matriculation Exemption” form to an “Orientation Exemption” or add a check box for which specific service the student is requesting be waived (i.e. orientation, SEP, etc.)
  • Discussion on this issue was around the fact that at present the only service we do require is “orientation”
  • Jen will find out if we are required to have this exemption form for all matriculation services (John/Laura/Ron?) or whether or not we can just have one for the services we mandate (in this case, orientation)
  • Jesse will email out a copy of this document. Please provide feedback on this document to Jesse by 3/17/14

Get It Done Day – Student Success (Mark/Wayne)

  • Mark and Wayne will continue to follow up with Ron on flushing out the details for this event
  • Our proposal is to have Mark/Wayne and Equity Committee leader facilitate a morning session on our student success plan/retention data and then break up into departments/groups to look at individual course/program information and address these metrics within their respective groups
  • Separate suggestion to hire Skip Downing (or related speaker) to speak at a Fixed Flex day and engage the campus in a discussion on student success across disciplines (maybe even use this workshop as a pre-cursor to teaching the “new class” Mark is proposing via the work-group above)

Future Meeting Schedule - Room 7340, 10-1130am

  • April 3, 2014 – Final draft of SSSP plan and approval of registration priorities
  • April 17, 2014
  • May 1, 2014
  • May 15, 2014

Ongoing Projects:

MIS/SARS

Kathleen has been asked to update codes. General counseling began using the new codes on 3/11/14. Kathleen will look into the online counselor “platform” within SARS and report back at a later date. EOPS/DSPS are working with Kathleen to update their codes as well.

  • Jen
  • Wayne
  • Ann
  • Debbie
  • Nan
  • Kathleen Schoenecker
  • Susan

Academic Standing

IT needs to re-write the registration priorities program rule to identify 2nd semester probation/subject to dismissal/dismissal students by April 2015 to make sure their registration priority is removed for next term. There have also been errors found in this program that Kathleen/IT have been made aware of.

  • Lenore Landavazo
  • Jen
  • Kathleen
  • Barbara

Financial Aid

We need to identify students at risk of losing their BOGW fee waivers to make sure we are notifying them and offering them the appropriate services.

  • Deborah
  • Ron
  • Kathleen
  • Jen

WebAdvisor/Student Profile

It met with Jen & Wayne back in Spring 2013 to draft a new proposal for the Student Profile interface which would help clean up “declared program”, “major” and academic standing information. This project is on the IT prioritization list. We are waiting for IT to re-prioritize this project.

  • Wayne
  • Jen
  • Kathleen

Student Equity

Committee will be forming under College Council and direction from Ron

  • Debbie Trigg
  • Mark Lieu
  • Kathleen

Student Planner

We are moving forward with adopting Ellucian’s student planner as our initial student system. We plan to re-evaluate our options once MAP and other state-wide systems are available in 3-4 years. This system will require an evaluation of our degree audit system, articulation and testing

  • Wayne
  • Heather
  • Mzao
  • Kathleen

ESEPs & SEP Workshops

We need to develop policies and procedures for ensuring all students with 15 or more units are offered the opportunity to complete education plans. A preliminary proposal has been put into our SSSP plan and will continue to be discussed.

  • Jen
  • Mandy
  • Diane

Orientation

A new type of orientation was piloted for Spring 2014. There is also a new online orientation available to students. We are looking at implementing late-start PD classes to help accommodate students who miss orientation and enroll before going through the process. The committee will also look at offering .5 unit PD courses and/or positive attendance options for students completing matriculation. We also need to look further at the best way to provide iSEPs to new students.

  • Jesse
  • Lenore
  • Wayne
  • Kathleen S. (IT)
  • Linh
  • Jared
  • Frances

SSSP Plan (due October 17, 2014)

A draft was reviewed by the SS Committee on 3/13/14. The committee will approve the final draft at the April 3rd meeting. The next step will be to go to Faculty Senate, College Council and, ultimately, the Board by September 2014.

  • Mark Lieu
  • Wayne

College-wide communications

Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus. This includes presentations to college counsel, faculty senate and future staff development training. Presentations were made to college counsel and faculty senate in Fall 2013. Ron and Wayne will develop a staff development workshop for April 2014. We are also working on a college-wide staff development “day” in the fall where all faculty will focus on equity & student success within their program/course evaluation work.

  • Ron
  • Wayne

Counseling Position Proposal

We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time). Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work, Financial Aid and, perhaps, someone to run an early alert/intervention program. Jen and Wayne will meet with Leta to discuss the current prioritization process on April 3rd.

  • Susan Myers?
  • Wayne
  • Jen

WebAdvisor Error Message Updates

Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students

  • Frances
  • John Mullen/Laura?

Ongoing - Budget

A preliminary budget has been approved and continues to be revised as the state directs other money our way.

  • Wayne
  • Ron

Completed Projects

MIS/SARS

General Counseling began using the new SARS codes on 3/11/14

Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee

  • Student Equity (moving to a new committee under College Council)
  • Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
  • MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
  • ESEP
  • Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
  • Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
  • XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
  • Technical Priorities list