Meeting Notes May 1, 2014 - Student Success and Support Programs Committee
In attendance: Debbie Trigg, Ann Burdett, Jennifer Harper, Mark Lieu, Kathleen Schoenecker and Wayne Takakuwa.
Student Success Plan Update (Wayne)
- Wayne and Jen met with a few students in the peer mentor program to review the 4/15/14 draft of the SSSP Plan
- The student feedback we received was positive and centered on clarifying details of things like technical help, accessing online orientation and tutoring
- Wayne will incorporate this feedback into the next draft
Registration Priorities and Appeals (Ann)
- Ann continues to work on reinstating registration priorities to DSPS students who require priority
- Ann will use the student appeal process for students who need to repeat courses
- In general, DSPS students who are on probation or who have high unit limits are having their priority registration removed and therefore, will register on May 19th
- RP conference attendees are: Susan Gutkind (maybe?), Jen, Jesse, Lenore, Deborah Griffin, Kathleen Schoenecker, Jeff Roberts, Rachel Sherman, Mark Lieu and others from the basic skills committee
- Mark will follow up with Chris Bolt and Lesley Buehler on Get It Done Day for August 2015
- Wayne will follow up with Ron on College Council and the assignment of an Equity Coordinator
- Our final meeting will consist of a semester wrap up and summer/fall planning and is scheduled for May 15th
- The SSSP committee meetings will resume on September 4th, 2014
Future Meeting Schedule
Room 7340, 10-1130am
- May 15, 2014 – semester wrap up and Su/Fall planning
- September 4, 2014 – first meeting of Fall semester
General counseling began using the new codes on 3/11/14. Kathleen will look into the online counselor “platform” within SARS and report back at a later date. EOPS/DSPS are working with Kathleen to update their codes as well.
- Kathleen Schoenecker
Kathleen has rewritten the registration priorities program rule to identify 2nd semester probation/subject to dismissal/dismissal students to ensure their registration priority is removed for next term. There have also been errors found in this program that Kathleen/IT have been made aware of. Kathleen will look at creating a new program for Academic Standing as early as May 2014
- Lenore Landavazo
We need to identify students at risk of losing their BOGW fee waivers to make sure we are notifying them and offering them the appropriate services.
IT met with Jen & Wayne back in Spring 2013 to draft a new proposal for the Student Profile interface which would help clean up “declared program”, “major” and academic standing information. This project is on the IT prioritization list. We are waiting for IT to re-prioritize this project.
Committee will be forming under College Council and direction from Ron.
- Debbie Trigg
- Mark Lieu
We are moving forward with adopting Ellucian’s student planner as our initial student system. We plan to re-evaluate our options once MAP and other state-wide systems are available in 3-4 years. This system will require an evaluation of our degree audit system, articulation and testing
ESEPs & SEP Workshops
The counseling department needs to develop policies and procedures for ensuring all students with 15 or more units are offered the opportunity to complete education plans. A preliminary proposal to begin these workshops in Fall 2014 has been put into our SSSP plan and will continue to be discussed. The department will work on the logistics and curriculum for these workshops in June and July.
A new type of orientation was piloted for Spring 2014. There is also a new online orientation available to students. We are looking at implementing late-start PD classes to help accommodate students who miss orientation and enroll before going through the process. The committee will also look at offering .5 unit PD courses and/or positive attendance options for students completing matriculation. We also need to look further at the best way to provide iSEPs to new students.
- Kathleen S. (IT)
SSSP Plan (due October 17, 2014)
The plan was approved by the SSSP committee on May 1, 2014. It was also presented to Faculty Senate on 4/2/14. The draft will be presented to College Council in May 2014. A draft was reviewed by the SS Committee on 3/13/14. The committee will approve the final draft at the April 17th meeting. The plan needs to be approved by the Board by September 2014.
Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus. This includes presentations to college counsel, faculty senate and future staff development training. Presentations were made to college counsel and faculty senate in Fall 2013. Ron and Wayne will develop a staff development workshop for April 2014. We are also working on a college-wide staff development “day” in the fall where all faculty will focus on equity & student success within their program/course evaluation work.
Counseling Position Proposal
We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time). Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work, Financial Aid and, perhaps, someone to run an early alert/intervention program. Jen and Wayne will meet with Leta to discuss the current prioritization process on April 3rd.
- Susan Myers
WebAdvisor Error Message Updates
Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students.
- John Mullen/Laura?
Ongoing - Budget
A preliminary budget has been approved and continues to be revised as the state directs other money our way.
General Counseling began using the new SARS codes on 3/11/14.
Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee
- Training on BOG Fee Waiver changes
- Student Equity (waiting for College Council to assign a coordinator)
- Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
- MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
- Student Service divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
- Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
- XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
- Technical Priorities list