Ohlone College permits students to petition for previous substandard (D, F, or NP) Ohlone College course work to be excluded from GPA and units completed calculations, if the work is not reflective of the student’s present academic performance. Students considering academic renewal should review the following regulations before beginning the petition process.

  • A student must have completed at a regionally accredited college at least 12 degree applicable semester units with a grade point average of 3.0, at least 18 degree applicable semester units with a grade point average of 2.5, or at least 24 degree applicable semester units with a grade point average of 2.0. These units must be earned subsequent to any grade of “D” or “F” to be excluded.


  • At least two years must have elapsed since the last “D” or “F” grade to be excluded was recorded.
  • A maximum of 24 units can be excluded from the grade point average, and academic renewal will only be granted once.

Only courses from which substandard grades (D, F, or NP) were assigned are eligible for academic renewal. Academic renewal actions are irreversible. When academic renewal has been approved, previously recorded substandard coursework is to be disregarded in the computation of a student’s grade point average; the student’s permanent academic record will be annotated in such a way to ensure the accurate record of all coursework and a complete academic history.

Academic renewal procedures do not conflict with the District's obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor's ability to determine a student’s final grade.

Only courses taken at Ohlone College qualify for academic renewal. The work to be removed does not include courses previously used to establish eligibility for transfer, graduation, certificates or honors at graduation. Once an Associate's Degree has been awarded at Ohlone College, courses taken prior to the awarding of the degree cannot be excluded. Academic renewal is an internal procedure and is not binding on other institutions that may receive a student who has had work excluded through the academic renewal process.

Academic renewal petitions are available in the Admissions and Records office as well as Counseling Office. It is highly recommended that any student who wishes to pursue academic renewal meet with a counselor to ensure all requirements have been met and the student is eligible. Completed academic renewal petitions are to be submitted to the Admissions and Records office for final review.

Note: Any student using outside college coursework to fulfill the necessary unit requirement must have official copies of the college transcript on file with Ohlone before submitting a completed petition.